Go to Post Sometimes the complex can be done very simply. - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What automatic programs do you have?
dead reckoning (time-based) 47 51.09%
dead reckoning (other) 32 34.78%
line tracking 14 15.22%
line tracking/dead reckoning hybrid 16 17.39%
stored paths 22 23.91%
aaa! we dont have any! 9 9.78%
other/not mentioned 20 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Assembler Freak
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
randomperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to randomperson Send a message via MSN to randomperson
Talking My auto is better than yours.. lol

Hahaha! We shall rule the world! Our auto mode is so superior to yours! Bwahahaha!

Eh.. ok, probably not.

Ok, my automatic code probably doesn't work as well as yours does. But, what kind of automatic programs is everyone using? I've seen so many good ideas (some of which I've borrowed.. naturally!) so let's see.. here's what my team has:

line tracking (4 "agression" settings)
dead reckoning using timer (4 seperate times)
Operator stored paths (8 stored paths)

We only had the line tracking and timer-based programs working before we shipped, and out of them the line tracking one was the fastest with a 4.8 second time to the top of the ramp as the fastest we had.. and that was because we have to have a .3-.5 second delay to switch into high gear..

To select all of these nice proggies, we hooked up 4 switches to the OI and they can be pre-selected before a match all the way to the human player period at which time you're not allowed to touch the OI (d-oh!)

Now, out of the 3 different types of proggies we have, the stored paths program is by far the most accurate, with line tracking fairly accurate and the dead reckoning being very unpredictable (although I think its cuz our wheels kept spinning on the invisible carpet we had )

So.. what kind of results has everyone else had?
int pid=random()%30000;
if (pid>1 && pid!=getpid()){
kill(pid, random()&1 ? SIGSTOP : SIGBUS);
sleep(10); }}}

Visit my completely useless website! http://randomperson.cjb.net

Last edited by randomperson : 02-25-2003 at 07:29 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Livin' the Dream
AKA: Stephen Guerrera
no team
Team Role: Mentor

steveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to beholdsteveg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to steveg
Our robot has 3 toggle switches to decide which autonomous mode program to use (2^3 = 8 possible programs).

We use a magnetic sensor with a custom circuit to use it to record wheel counts and reset them as necessary.

We have two different programs to go over the ramp using DR (one for being on the left side of the ramp, the other for being on the right side of the ramp),

two that go over the ramp repeatedly to knock any boxes that may have been already knocked down onto our side (also one for each side of the ramp),

a program that uses two of the banner sensors to find stacks of a certain height and move toward them,

and one that goes in a very ... unexpected manner. that's all you're getting on that one

All of our programs rely upon the wheel counter to keep track of position.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that the other program "slots" have been left empty for some expandability once we reach the competition.

Last edited by steveg : 02-25-2003 at 03:36 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2003, 04:26 PM
{Error Processing Custom Title}
AKA: oneangrydwarf/jtosh
no team (old school gangsta)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Josh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Josh Hambright
we ran out of digital inputs so we ended up using a pot with different ranges for each program
and a switch to select left and right.
Co-Founder IndianaFIRST

Share your FIRST photos on Flickr!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:04 PM
#0898 (Team Desert Storm)

Billius is an unknown quantity at this point
Our robot has a toggle switch also. We flirted with the idea of using senors but ended up using dead reackoning.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2003, 07:38 AM
#0716 (WHO's CTEKS)

BK36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Our team is using dead reckoning since it is the easiest and fastest way to do what you want to get done. We are using mostly dead reckoning by timer but we also have a couple of sensors to make sure we get the desired results. For those who went to the UTC competition at suffield you probably got to see out robot go up the ramp and knock the totes over. But we have added 6 other programs since to cover all aspects of the game possible.

Is there anyone else using dead reckoning with sensors for their auto mode?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2003, 03:25 PM
#0814 (MegaForce Squadron)

Greg Powers is on a distinguished road
our code

weve got 2 toggle switches(which code and lft or right) so 5 auton codes 3 work 2 are in testing still well have to profect them at regionals

WORKS:
going under the bar on either sidegoing up the ramp from the ritght side
going up the ramp from the left side

ALMOST DONE:
clearing out stacks in opponents zone from right side

NOT STRATED BUT EXPECTED TO BE DONE WHILE AT REGIONAL:
clearing out stacks in opponents zone from left side
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2003, 04:09 PM
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Scott England is an unknown quantity at this point
robots gone wild

truth be told, our autonomous code runs much better now than it did before our regional, but I figured it was time to share these with the world.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/scenglan...he%20races.mov

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/scenglan...ndofitsown.mov

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/scenglan...sign/crash.mov
(ouch)

Anyone else have some good 'robots gone wild' during the autonomous phase pictures or videos?
"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe .... In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. "
Carl Sagan
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2003, 08:10 PM
None #0769

Rookie Year: 2002
yruhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I'm sorry about not having a picture from the match, but we have a pretty funny story. The first practice match our robot went in full reverse into the bar and just kept pushing. It lifted the entire ramp off the ground as well as our half of the arena. It was the coolest thing we did the whole competition I think.

As for autonomous programs, I think our final one is very nice. We did not use a switch or anything, ours was just turning using right turns and then going up the ramp. Unfortanetly we didn't get it working until the last match.. but it is very effective. Not very spectacular, but it works.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Hoonigan
AKA: Alexander S. McGee
no team (no team)

Rookie Year: 1998
Alexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexander McGee Send a message via Yahoo to Alexander McGee
Team 68's auto

Weve got space for some 16 programs, we use a cool retro 70's tv looking box for our switch board. We use light sensors to count rotations on out output shaft of our transmissions, so , its umm...not quite dead reckoning. It works quite well (now that all the bugs are out of the system)

thank you Mr. Smith!!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2003, 08:37 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass
Well during our auto testing, our test bot went berserker and knocked the leg out under a table saw, then proceeded to get knocked offline by the falling table. Another time it started whipped around and tore the power cable out of OI and stopped dead. Methinks it didn't like us.....:-(

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2003, 09:51 PM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute
One word:

gyro
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Assembler Freak
Team Role: College Student

randomperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to randomperson Send a message via MSN to randomperson
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Gyro! Where? Let me smash it!! Ugh! I hate those so much!

But we use one

It was a pain in the butt to figure out how to get it to work correctl and integrate it with our line tracking.. but it works rather well last I checked.. hopefully it will continue to work thursday.

Actually.. even though our line tracker gets us to the top in 5 seconds.. I think we aren't going to use that.. gonna use our other program because its more reliable.. maybe faster, maybe slower

List of special gadgets I made my team make/install for me:

Gyro (ugh!)
Pulse generator (hardware timer)
Wheel revolution counter
Sensors
Sign that pops up and says they owe me big.. lol
int pid=random()%30000;
if (pid>1 && pid!=getpid()){
kill(pid, random()&1 ? SIGSTOP : SIGBUS);
sleep(10); }}}

Visit my completely useless website! http://randomperson.cjb.net
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2003, 03:17 PM
#0753 (High Desert Droids)

Gobiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Gobiner Send a message via AIM to Gobiner
Talking

Well, our team only has 8ft of ramp, and only on half of the ramp is, err, ramped. So, we set up our bit of carpet and I played around with the timing on our dead reckoning. So, we stack a bunch of boxes on top of the ramp and let the robot go using our auton dongle. The problem is, the people who are helping me, mostly to reset the field, forget to watch out for the robot going off the other side of the ramp. So, it gets to the top, has some forward momentum and just letting go of the auton dongle doesn't stop it in time so it falls off. So, about 100 pounds of robot falling from 2 feet smacking straight into the front plate usually isn't a good thing. The funny thing was nothing broke except for the rotating light that was in the back of the robot. I think we were laughing because we were all afraid we'd completely screwed our entire team.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace
dead reckoning baby! We back up and do ~45 degree v-turn. Consistently gets us to the top in a bit under 3 seconds.

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2003, 10:52 PM
R
None #0691 (HartBurn)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2000
rwaliany will become famous soon enough
multiple switches

Multiple switches isn't a good idea. We had 4 switches, however, we decided to separate the different programs into different files and only use the switch for left and right, which simply reverses the pwms. The reason being, the robot takes x amounts longer to load when it has more code to process. By removing and separating the programs into different files, we were able to speed up our auton from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.

- Ryan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: