OCCRA
Go to Post I, for one, refused to be railroaded down this train of thought so easily! Geeze, one lousy game hint just builds up steam for any old picture to come through and go two pages in a matter of hours. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:19 PM
#0975 (Synergy)

Munkaboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Munkaboo
Do you all have problems with....

Hey, I was just wondering if you all had problems with getting people motivated to get involved in the online community... out of our team, I would guess maybe a tops of 3 people have posted here, even after many meetings we tell them to go to these forums. Heck, weeks after I got our forums up I got big "What the heck?" faces from people when I told them they should go to our forums for the latest news...

Do you all have problems with getting people motivated?

I should add to this post: Problems getting people to meetings

DOUBLE EDIT: Holy crap I cant believe i posted that in the technical forum, my bad

Triple edit: nevermind, im an idiot.

Last edited by Munkaboo : 02-27-2003 at 10:28 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:24 PM
None #0118
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
David Lantz will become famous soon enough
Same here. Untill recently I didn't register for the forums, but checked them daily. However, our team doesn't seem to enthused about this. Oh well their loss.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Distributor of Mayhem
#0540 (Rhythmic Disturbance)

f22flyboy will become famous soon enoughf22flyboy will become famous soon enough
[rant=p.o.'d]
I would think a very frequently updated news page, mass e-mails, and forums, combined with a school wireless network and the laptops to use it would get people to start checking the above mentioned for news and updates, but noooooo

We still have to print out tons of flyers, get school announcements, and call people to get them at meetings.

I also can't tell you how many times people have sent me messages on our forums when the answer was posted on the news page of the main site. Not that I mind them asking, but if they just took .0000002 seconds to look they would find the answer.
[/rant]

Team 540 Forums

FIRST Look... FIRST Shot... FIRST Kill.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
We have 41 members listed and I am the only consitent presence here for the X-Cats. Ellery and Sean come around once in a while but the rest just joined to do scouting.
Messageboards are an aquirred taste anyways. And I'm addicted to them so I am naturally drawn here anyways. No one is required to post here BTW.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:30 PM
#0975 (Synergy)

Quote:
Originally posted by f22flyboy
[rant=p.o.'d]
I would think a very frequently updated news page, mass e-mails, and forums, combined with a school wireless network and the laptops to use it would get people to start checking the above mentioned for news and updates, but noooooo

We still have to print out tons of flyers, get school announcements, and call people to get them at meetings.

I also can't tell you how many times people have sent me messages on our forums when the answer was posted on the news page of the main site. Not that I mind them asking, but if they just took .0000002 seconds to look they would find the answer.
[/rant]
Yea, I wish James River would get those labtops We would know how to use em

But really... our meeting turnouts are usually very unsatisfactory...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:32 PM
C is for cookie...
#0862 (Team Lightning)
Team Role: Webmaster

Duke 13370 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Duke 13370
we put so much work into our site, and there are only 13 people that use it and mabye 6 that post. (there are 40 people that are registered and could post whenever they want) People still don't show up to meetings, or show up when there isn't one.

argh
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:38 PM
#0571 (Paragon)

MBurr-Mecum is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MBurr-Mecum
I got drawn into the message boards by looking at a picture my co-captain posted. I then realized that I have a moral obligation to my team to be a presence here, because otherwise he would be our team's only representative. THEN what would people think of us?

I do find trouble getting people to meetings, especially new people. They promise they'll go, but then do they show up? Of course not.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Missing In Action
#0247 ('da bears)
Team Role: Alumni

DanLevin247 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DanLevin247
Anybody who's anybody knows that I just about LIVE on these forums. Yes, a few of my teammates have usernames on Chief Delphi...but they never seem to post. I'm very glad I have the privledge to post on these forums, and even speak to some of the users of this forum outside of CD itself. Chief Delpi makes FIRST easier!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.....then it's hillarious!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Do you all have problems with....

Quote:
Originally posted by Munkaboo
I was just wondering if you all had problems with getting people motivated to get involved in the online communityDo you all have problems with getting people motivated?
I should add to this post: Problems getting people to meetings
Up til a month? ago I was the only one from our team posting. Then a student got enthusiastic and I'm tickled with how he's representing our team. Now another couple of students signed up, and tho they haven't posted, I expect they will.

People to meetings are a problem too.

I have another side to that tho. Last year the VP did not choose to take George to competitions cuz he wasn't at many meetings and "didn't do much". This year George, tho not at many meetings, has been hugely instrumental to our team making our chairman's award, our web, designing graphics...He works well with me over email. He can't make the meetings much cuz he's hugely involved with all kinds of things. Last year his talents weren't known and taken advantage of. This year he's been discovered.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.

Last edited by Redhead Jokes : 02-27-2003 at 09:57 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:27 PM
#0975 (Synergy)

Hrmm, wonder why this was moved here
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:38 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Originally posted by Munkaboo
Hrmm, wonder why this was moved here
Because its a discussion about getting people involved with your website. So it goes in the website forum.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace
We have two people who regularly check the forums, but I'm the one who surfs CD instead of doing other more important things. I like to think that I post enough to make up for everybody else.

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Stew da Baker
AKA: AKA: Steppie86
no team

Stephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie
my team has 7 members registered with CD, though only two of us have ever really participated. i seem to be the only currently active representative on this board (as far as posting goes; we both still skim the boards), while the rest of the team seems to look to us as the authority on what other teams are up to.

we have a couple active members in tigerbolt.

<rant >the lack of participation is somewhat upsetting. email notices are widely ignored, webpage and online calendars are ignored. it is very annoying to be asked things by seven people in one day, and respond every time to "look in the notes that were sent out two days ago" or "look at the calendar on the wall, or on our site"
</ rant>
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2003, 08:05 AM
#0245 (Adam-Bots)

Kevin Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel your pain Munkaboo..As much as I try to get people to use the forums, they don't understand/listen. Haha at least they use e-mail and read the news on the website.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2003, 09:19 AM
#0624 (Cryptonite)

Danaca is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Danaca
CRyptonite has 7 different teams working on different aspects of Robotics. Ive tried to make sure that the head of each team watches the boards here.

I have also found the crew heads to be a convenient way to get the message out about meetings. I only have to get in touch with 7 people (less if it isn't a full team meeting), and they do the rest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: