OCCRA
Go to Post "The safety log is the log people sit on to think about the unsafe act they've just committed." - Kevin Sevcik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 10:33 AM
None #0058 (Riot Crew)

Rev. Lovejoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Rev. Lovejoy Send a message via AIM to Rev. Lovejoy
Props and Slops of the Granite State Regionals

Opinion only, everyone can comment and add some.

Props:

All teams the teams, amazing three days, amazing competition.

Teams 236 (Techno Ticks) and 175 (Buzz), for being the best alliance we could have ever picked.

1073 for being with us twice in practice and just being a cool bunch of people, congrats on winning the rookie award, you deserve it.

811, for winning the sportsmanship award, and being okay with being flipped twice by us.

BAE Systems for the sponsorship, and for the incredible amount of volunteers. Also for TRYING to create a one way walking system that may have worked.

The scoring on the fly system, coolest thing to come out of recent years.

236 for doing the tick dance all the way through finals.

And 121 for scaring me all day long with the wedge bot, the autonomous was awesome when it worked, and the wedge was something to drive AWAY from.

Slops:

The venue, for not allowing food or drinks second day, then closing down the food stands, luckily they weren't checking bags very well.

The music, the horn, because they were way too loud, making it difficult to concentrate on field and in the pits.

I think the judges need a better way to define a "flipping" rule, because if you're a wedge, and you drive at a robot that's sitting still, and they end up on there back, isn't that militious?

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head, it's also really early and I have to get to work, I should have a day off or something, I've been working these past three days.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Adult troublemaker
FRC #0811

Rookie Year: 2001
Alfred Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutAlfred Thompson has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Alfred Thompson
Except for the food situation this was a great venue. I understand that the Verizon enter wanted to make money on food but $3 for a bottle of water that is over priced at $1? And those "breakfast sandwiches?" They make the dried out ones at the school cafe look good even if the ones at the cafe were not half the price. Several days just about our whole team went out for lunch.

Teams were great though. I don't think there was a mean bone in the place. What a great spirit in this event.

I thought the volunteers did a great job. The VC staff could be a little uptight at times but the volunteers maintained order with politeness and courtesy.

And there were Segway rides. And I got a ride. Made my day.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 03:28 PM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

bigqueue will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bigqueue Send a message via Yahoo to bigqueue
Smile BAE Regional in Manchester a BIG HIT!

It really was a great regional.

Yea, the food was poor, expensive, and the lines were long....and searching of bags for half eaten candy bars got a old very quickly every morning.....but other than those small potatos.....I have nothing but praise for the entire operation.

Did practice seem a little "rougher" this year? I was surprised at the amount of contact and roughness. no one seemed the least bit concerned with damage, and very few practice drills.....it was just like a competition!

As for Team 58 knocking us down twice....that's all in the game, and I know for a fact that the 2nd time was our fault because our box flipping appendage got "hooked" on a part of your robot. Heck....a Team 58 member even came over and apologized to us after the 2nd time...that was really great sportsmanship right there!

It was all great fun.....and I look forward to another BAE regional at Verizon next year! (But first, the Nationals in a few weeks)

-Quentin

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 04:11 PM
How you doin'?!
AKA: Dave Kingsley
FRC #0088 (TJ˛)
Team Role: Alumni

Pin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pin Man
Yeah the food situation was bad but they never checked my bag... I brought so much food in and they didn't check it... They asked me if I had any food and I said no... My team went out everyday too, I didn't mind it but when you walk around the city wearing full tie-dye and you have on over 200 buttons people start to look at you funny... It was funny though because I got my picture taken like 50 times...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 05:11 PM
AKA: Foley
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Ryan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond repute
I was a volunteer, heres my thoughts:

food was poor, lines to long, and stands closed too early

music was way to loud (my friends and I all had headaches after being in the pit for 8 hours

segway demos: awesome

the one way walk system helped

otherwise it was great, seating was awesome, you almost couldnt find a bad seat.

FRC #1995: Fatal Error [2007-2009]
FRC #350: Timberlane Robotics [2001-2004]

FRC Volunteer:
2010: Referee [WPI Regional, Mayhem in Merrimack], Robot Inspector [BAE Regional]
2009: Referee [BattleCry 10]
2008: Referee [Connecticut Regional, BattleCry 9, Beantown Blitz, River Rage 12]
2007: Referee [Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 8, River Rage 11]
2006: Referee [UTC Regional, Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 7, River Rage 10]
2005: Referee [Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 6]
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 07:30 PM
None #0058 (Riot Crew)

Re: BAE Regional in Manchester a BIG HIT!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigqueue

Did practice seem a little "rougher" this year? I was surprised at the amount of contact and roughness. no one seemed the least bit concerned with damage, and very few practice drills.....it was just like a competition!

I agree, but I also liked this, to a point. It gave everyone a chance to iron out automation problems, as well as get a feel for the competition. The problem I have is that some teams probably needed to try things out, and really couldn't, because they're were getting beat up, which is never good. I do think it was a better idea though.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 07:38 PM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

bigqueue will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bigqueue Send a message via Yahoo to bigqueue
Re: Re: BAE Regional in Manchester a BIG HIT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev. Lovejoy
I agree, but I also liked this, to a point. It gave everyone a chance to iron out automation problems, as well as get a feel for the competition. The problem I have is that some teams probably needed to try things out, and really couldn't, because they're were getting beat up, which is never good. I do think it was a better idea though.
I'm beginning to think that this might be why the stackers didn't.....perhaps the "tone" of the whole event was set when the shoving matches started.....and if you have motors and can move, you can join right in. (and forget about your stacking ability)

-Quentin
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Props and Slops of the Granite State Regionals

Quote:

1073 for being with us twice in practice and just being a cool bunch of people, congrats on winning the rookie award, you deserve it.

Thanks man!

Props to you for having one hella cool robot. That's what we were trying to make our like...only it didn't come out quite perfectly But yours did.

Props to the Techno Ticks too for their amazing robot AND the tick boogie.

Congrats on winning it all!

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 09:24 PM
None #0058 (Riot Crew)

Re: Re: Re: BAE Regional in Manchester a BIG HIT!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigqueue
I'm beginning to think that this might be why the stackers didn't.....perhaps the "tone" of the whole event was set when the shoving matches started.....and if you have motors and can move, you can join right in. (and forget about your stacking ability)

-Quentin
I disagree, the stackers didn't because a lot couldn't, or didn't have time. This competition was set in a certain direction from day one, if you were going to stack it had to be incredibly fast, because you didn't have time, 1:45 is no time at all. Notice finals, and the lack of stackers, main function stackers were nowhere, but second function stackers (all three teams in the winning alliance), could stack 1 or two boxes.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 09:41 PM
So apparently it hangs......
AKA: Chris Carnevale
FRC #0177
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Props to 213 Keene High School for being the best stacker at the competition.

Props to all the BAE teams that made the finals, 166, 151, 1058, 131, 501, 1073.

Props to all the teams that are going to UTC after attending BAE, because you guys all looked great. 126, 166, 176, 175, 236, 287, 296,

Chris
BAE Regional Volunteer
Team 229
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Time to start planning RIDE 2015!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR Strike)
Team Role: Leadership

Ricksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Props and Slops of the Granite State Regionals

Quote:

And 121 for scaring me all day long with the wedge bot, the autonomous was awesome when it worked, and the wedge was something to drive AWAY from.
its funny cause we were afraid of your consistant automode too. How it always hit the stack fast and hard. And discussing strategy everyone told us you guys couldn't be flipped. cant wait to compete with and against you guys in houston.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2003, 02:02 AM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht
My biggest complaint was the sound system (especially the buzzer and bugle). They didn't have any short throw speakers, so in order to make the game sounds audible on the field, they were painfully loud in the stands. I was talking to a guy in the stands who was recording the audio of the competition, and the decible meter on his tape deck was reading143dB during the buzzers (for comparison, an air raid siren is 135 dB, and a gun shot can range from 130 to 190dB, depending on weapon). According to NIOSH, exposure of just 150 milliseconds of sound at this level can result in perminant hearing loss.

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem — the answer isn't in the back of the book." — Anonymous WPI Student
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2003, 06:51 AM
None #0058 (Riot Crew)

Re: Re: Props and Slops of the Granite State Regionals

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricksta121
And discussing strategy everyone told us you guys couldn't be flipped. cant wait to compete with and against you guys in houston.

The only reason we couldn't was because of the driving, and knowing when to back off, and when to go for it, there were a couple times where we were close, but it was very difficult. If you look at our robot there's blue paint all along the 80/20, you left your mark on us. The lexan on the front has both blue and red, I believe you were the only team with blue and red paint.

No Houston for us, not this year at least No money, and we didn't qualify. If anyone wants to lobby to FIRST to let us go down, I wouldn't mind.

I can recall the '01 season, a team won there regional, but didn't have the money to go so the alliance partner sponsored them to go down, and lobbied to FIRST to let them, I thought that was pretty cool.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Props and Slops of the Granite State Regionals

Quote:
No Houston for us, not this year at least No money, and we didn't qualify. If anyone wants to lobby to FIRST to let us go down, I wouldn't mind.
By winning the regional, you just qualified for nationals this year. You just need to somehow find the money.

see http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/res_art9.htm for more details.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:28 AM
strategy / back up operator
FRC #0126 (Gael Force)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2003
Devin L. has a spectacular aura aboutDevin L. has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Devin L.
Re: Re: Re: Re: BAE Regional in Manchester a BIG HIT!

Quote:
I disagree, the stackers didn't because a lot couldn't, or didn't have time. This competition was set in a certain direction from day one, if you were going to stack it had to be incredibly fast, because you didn't have time, 1:45 is no time at all. Notice finals, and the lack of stackers, main function stackers were nowhere, but second function stackers (all three teams in the winning alliance), could stack 1 or two boxes.

i dissagree about stackers not being good thing. the dirty birds to me were probably the biggest help to our team, Gael Force, in that competition. they helped us score 225 QP by making a 6 stack.
u have to addmit that is good.
BAE Regional - WINNERS w/ team 121 rhode warriors and team 350.
BAE Regional - Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
UTC Regional - WINNERS w/ team 69 HYPER and team 1071 MAX.

Gael Force 126, great robots since 1992
Website www.gaelforce126.org
Match summaries, team pictures, and a very impressive yearbook consisting of pictures of our robots and the playing fields, awards we won, and game descriptions from 1992-2005.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: