OCCRA
Go to Post OMG, yet another blatant attempt by FIRST at being open and transparent! What is this place coming to?? :p - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Are you using bumpers?
Absolutely! 14 19.18%
Maybe. 26 35.62%
No Way! Bumpers are for sissies! 30 41.10%
What are bumpers? 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2002, 05:25 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Are you using bumpers?

So, who here is planning on making bumpers for your robot?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:44 PM
Survivor
FRC #0357 (Royal Assault)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2000
Joe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud ofJoe Troy has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Joe Troy
Bumpers are currently not part of our design or plans. After our first regional that might change.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:28 PM

AdamT is on a distinguished road
Why not? It doesn't count for the 30x36 box, and it's so easy to add. I don't even know if ours would need it, but an impact reduction of around 12x sounds good to me.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 01:23 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Why not? It still counts against your weight.
The aluminum/steel/polycarb on the robot already look like swiss cheese and we need to lose weight, AND the teather isn't on it yet...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 07:48 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)

Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
I wonder...

I wonder if bumpers will be popular this year... A lot of veteran teams I talked to realize how intense the matches will be, especially during finals. And I heard them saying, bumpers will be needed.

To rookie teams: Please seriously consider using bumpers if you want your robot in one piece after competition, which is especially important for fund raising and showing off your robot at malls or science fairs.

Chances are, a decent amount of teams are using more than drill motors for their drive train, and you don't want to be hit when those robots are coming at you 10 feet/sec.

Which reminds me of a question: What material do teams out there use for their bumpers?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Alumni of 168
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1998
Jason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud ofJason Rudolph has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Jason Rudolph Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Rudolph
We use high density foam. We use it in all of our Road Cases for our equipment we have that goes on the road where I work (I work in the stage lighting indistry). It is very light weight, and can take a large impact. I then coat the foam with something called Flexcoat, which is manufactured by Rosco. It is basically like a rubber coating for foam that helps to prevent the foam from getting ripped up by sharp edges.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 10:06 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Engineer

Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute
Bumpers! We don't need no stinkin' bumpers!

EPP is also a good material. I think EPP stands for Expanded Polypropolene.
I use EPP to pack my radio gear in my R/C airplanes. It doen't transfer vibrations to the radio like foam rubber does.
It can also take a lot of abuse. Guys in our club build planes out of the stuff. You can take a glider and slam it into the ground and the plane will just bounce with no damage.

Wayne Doenges
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3284 and FRC Team 4500, Also won the Quality Award
2014 GPR #31 seed, Finalist with FRC Team 2641 and FRC Team 4150. Thanks. Also won Quality Award.
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 10:57 AM
#0555 (Montclair Mounties)

aka Scott White is on a distinguished road
Uh...

Call me naive, but weren't they going to supply us with some kind of attachable bumpers at the regional competition?

"We brake for broken speed controllers"

I love the the smell of melting speed controllers in the morning...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 11:01 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uh...

Quote:
Originally posted by aka Scott White
Call me naive, but weren't they going to supply us with some kind of attachable bumpers at the regional competition?
I have not heard anything about this. However, I do think that the variaty of diffrent robot designs would preclude a standard bumper.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 12:42 PM

AdamT is on a distinguished road
No, they don't provide any sort of bumpers.

You have to produce them yourself and they need to be detatchable if your robot will be more then 30x36 with them on. And bumpers are cool, no matter what people say. A working robot is a cool robot. A robot scattered into 2 or 4 pieces on the fiel isn't cool.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2002, 12:58 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Quote:
Originally posted by 401Mentor
No, they don't provide any sort of bumpers.

You have to produce them yourself and they need to be detatchable if your robot will be more then 30x36 with them on. And bumpers are cool, no matter what people say. A working robot is a cool robot. A robot scattered into 2 or 4 pieces on the fiel isn't cool.
It is really cool when the pieces are intended to move about indepentandly though.
Teathered without risk of entanglement, of course.

Last edited by Wetzel : 01-31-2002 at 01:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: