OCCRA
Go to Post By the way why do all american's spell Colour wrong?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? - akoscielski3 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2002, 11:31 PM
#0696 (Clark Magnet Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

punarhero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to punarhero Send a message via Yahoo to punarhero
pbasic programming

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to download code from and into the basic stamp.

Also, is there anyone that I can meet with to learn the programming basics, because our team needs some programming help.

Thanx
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
To download code you need to

go to Parallaxinc.com and get the latest Stamp2 support software (V1.3 -- it is free) (download the latest Stamp2 manual while you are there)

go to InnovationFirst.com to get the latest Default Code

go to the whitepaper section of this websit to get my paper on Innovation First Hardware & the Default Code (the seminar should be online at the Nasa site by now, but I have not checked)

look at the code and make chances you feel are needed

connect your computer and the RC via a 9 pin connector

download the code

cross your fingers as you hit robot reset to run your code.

ask us here specific questions as you run into problems.

Good luck.

Joe J
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Software guy
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond repute
Very important step

You forgot a very important step:

When you hit the reset button on your robot, make sure everyone's a safe distance away from the bot, and have someone ready to pull the power plug on the player station controller (or hit the estop if your team has one). Regardless of how good a programmer you are, you'll make mistakes & some could be dangerous to people or the bot.

Mike
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross
Re: pbasic programming

You also ask how to download code FROM the BASIC Stamp. This is not possible.

Since programs downloaded to the robot controller are tokenized by the BASIC Stamp Editor, if the capability were provided, at best you would get a simple detokenization of the program. (i.e. all the meaningful identifiers in the original source code would be replaced by insipid generic names, and any comments in the original code would be gone with the the wind.)
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:32 PM
no team

Morgan Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
To expand on Mike's comment, if you've done any work on the driving software (and maybe even if you haven't), it is a wise idea to prop the bot up so its drive mechanism isn't in contact with the ground. I am the programmer on my team, and I have witnessed what happens when there is an error in the drive software and the robot is on the ground. Simply stated, bad things happened (luckily no one was injured and the robot was okay). Just advice from someone who's been there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: