OCCRA
Go to Post There are two types of competitors in this world, those who aim to rise above their opponents and those who seek to drag them down. Which group do you want to belong to? Which group is more beneficial to our society? Think about it. - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2003, 03:42 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Question New robot controller next year?

An engineer said he was talking to one of the Innovation FIRST guys at a regional, and heard there is going to be an entirely new robot control / operator interface system next year!

faster cycle times, more SW variables, more code space

anyone able to confirm this?

(BTW - this means all our control systems become obsolete for spares - [moment of silence] ok, thats enough mourning for the old RC's :c)

I hope this rumor is true!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
#0686 (Bovine Intervention)

redbeard0531 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to redbeard0531
Hopefuly no more pBasic. I would love it if they moved to an event driven language, but that is unlikely. If not, they should at least give us the ability to use real functions where you can pass stuff in, and return stuff.

Unlikely, but we can always hope!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas
clock

Maybe the new controller will have a clock that we can actually sample time off of. I am tired of counting program iterations. Also, functions we could actually pass parameters to would be nice. Could someone please explain the purpose of gosub? It is just a goto with a return statement, totally worthless. I am sure there are about a dozen other things to improve on.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2003, 07:18 PM
#0686 (Bovine Intervention)

redbeard0531 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to redbeard0531
Re: clock

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lucas
Could someone please explain the purpose of gosub? It is just a goto with a return statement, totally worthless.
GoSub is an important feature from the basic lineage. Remember, pBasic is used for much more than just our robots.In the BASICs, a sub-routene is like a void function in C/C++/Java. An important aspect of a subroutene is that it will always go back to where it was called from. This is especialy important in code recycling. Imagine if you had to keep track of every place that a function is called from! It also helps with organization; every section can have it own subroutene that each subsystem can work on independently of the rest of the program.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2003, 07:59 PM
ElementisRegamusProelium
Team Role: Programmer

Jeff_Rice will become famous soon enoughJeff_Rice will become famous soon enough
A new controller would rock! I would love to play with something new!

Maybe they should have it be a quantum microcomputer. There were so many times this year that I wished a bit had three settings(on, off, on and off).
This car was once a dream of mine now it belongs to you
And though you may take her and make her your own
You'll always be riding with Private Malone" David Ball, "Private Malone"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2003, 08:34 PM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7
You sure he didn't mean that IFI was coming out with a new system? Just cause IFI could be making a new system doesn't mean that FIRST is going to use it. In fact, I'll bet that It'd be cheaper for FIRST to get the same type model as used currently if IFI were coming out with something new.
Anyway, I still hope that if we Do have a new controller, that programming isn't biased to a specific language like C or Java...
PBasic is just so easy, and evey programmer SHOULD have some basic in them...
Mabie IFI's making a controller with the Javelin... (Shudder)
Sorry, I just don't have much Java experience...
I don't want to be put out of a job by a new controller!!!
SAVE ME!!!!!!!!

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!

Last edited by Sachiel7 : 03-20-2003 at 09:01 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)
Team Role: Mentor

The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas
Re: Re: clock

Quote:
Originally posted by redbeard0531
It also helps with organization; every section can have it own subroutene that each subsystem can work on independently of the rest of the program.
Ya I use it for organization too. I am just angry with it b/c last year I had to write the same long routine for 3 identical mechanisms. I almost ran out of EEPROM space (I didnt want to mess with a new page). I thought about simulating a function call, but that takes extra RAM. Also, due to a couple of connections btw the variables and other routines, I couldnt use scratchpad. Last years bot had way to many features out of the box and we quickly eliminated many of them.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)
Team Role: Alumni

AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
I would like to see a operator interface, and robot controller, that is more resistant to water. It rained on our OI at UCF, and we needed to get a new one.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2003, 07:51 PM
AKA: Foley
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Ryan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Quick
I would like to see a operator interface, and robot controller, that is more resistant to water. It rained on our OI at UCF, and we needed to get a new one.
That got me thinking, perhaps that is what IFI is going to do

water game next year anyone?

perhaps i am just way to tired to think straight

A new controller wouldnt be to bad, I would have to spend all my time learning it, as I am just starting to get good with the old one after 2 years

FRC #1995: Fatal Error [2007-2009]
FRC #350: Timberlane Robotics [2001-2004]

FRC Volunteer:
2010: Referee [WPI Regional, Mayhem in Merrimack], Robot Inspector [BAE Regional]
2009: Referee [BattleCry 10]
2008: Referee [Connecticut Regional, BattleCry 9, Beantown Blitz, River Rage 12]
2007: Referee [Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 8, River Rage 11]
2006: Referee [UTC Regional, Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 7, River Rage 10]
2005: Referee [Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 6]
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
I heard similar rumors this year, specifically, a controller 25x faster then this one.

Then again, I can't remember a year in which there weren't rumours of a new control system for next year.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2003, 09:23 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
i've heard PSX controller ports, at least two, instead of game ports. i prefer gameports, as i've almost memorized the pinout now . be interesting though, to drive with a PSX controller...
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2003, 08:30 AM
BSEE, MSEE, JD in progress
AKA: employed
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Stephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Kowski Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen Kowski
I have heard that is going to be based on the Javelin Stamp. Java?! oh well im glad I won't be programming that.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
After talking to the IFI rep at Great Lakes, all I could get out of him is that a new controller is in discussion...whether or not it will make an appearance, and then if FIRST will use it, are two separate issues entirely...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2003, 11:55 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
I get the pretty clear impression that Innovation First is driven by what First wants - so they would not be designing/building a new control system unless FIRST was asking them to.

And they would not build it unless they were certain FIRST would use it.

Remember back in the day, before Victor speed controllers? when we use Rebels on the Bot?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2003, 12:16 PM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7
I think that if FIRST and IFI do plan on changing the OI and RC next year, that they should give out the info on it and it's programming language pre-season.
It would be a huge hurdle to Learn a new language AND write the entire program within the 6 weeks.

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: