OCCRA
Go to Post DO NOT THROW THINGS AT THE PROGRAMMER! - demosthenes2k8 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #421   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
AKA: Jesus
FRC #0647 (Cyber Wolf Corps)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2008
SL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to SL8
Re: Girls on Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
where r the hot chix?
Looks around, "where are the not so hot chicks? Oh, that's our school's cheerleaders."

#422   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:18 PM
See what had happened was....
FRC #1137 (Rocket Sauce)

Rookie Year: 2007
Kersten is a jewel in the roughKersten is a jewel in the roughKersten is a jewel in the roughKersten is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Kersten Send a message via Yahoo to Kersten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8 View Post
Looks around, "where are the not so hot chicks? Oh, that's our school's cheerleaders."
haha.....wow.
  #423   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:46 AM
will return to 766 soon!
AKA: Mika Lai
FRC #0766 (M-A Bears)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Blue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8 View Post
Nah, that's our school's dance team. They had this one thing where they managed to incorporate pulling off their pants into their dance. And right after we presented our 2006 and 2007 robots, too. They looked about 766 times more stupid than if they had done the pants thing without our robots. Not that they didn't look stupid already.

"Show a girl how to use a wrench, and she'll put those skills to use for a lifetime. Hand it to her and tell her she's probably better off shopping, and she'll clonk you over the head with it, do your pneumatics system, and CAD the robot." -Amanda Morrison

'09

Last edited by Blue_Mist : 03-13-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Add something else...
  #424   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 07:37 AM
FRC #1137 (Rocket Sauce)

Kersten is a jewel in the roughKersten is a jewel in the roughKersten is a jewel in the roughKersten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mist View Post
Nah, that's our school's dance team. They had this one thing where they managed to incorporate pulling off their pants into their dance. And right after we presented our 2006 and 2007 robots, too. They looked about 766 times more stupid than if they had done the pants thing without our robots. Not that they didn't look stupid already.
Dance team huh...yea a lot of dance teams look funny sometimes, but rule #1 is dont burst their bubble by telling them that...the majority of the school will not be to happy with you
  #425   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersten View Post
Dance team huh...yea a lot of dance teams look funny sometimes, but rule #1 is dont burst their bubble by telling them that...the majority of the school will not be to happy with you
Just how you guys probably dont like being made fun of, i'm sure the dance team feels the same way. I'm sure they also work hard to do what they are passionate about. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean you have to make fun of them. Treat others like you want to be treated...

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #426   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM

SL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud ofSL8 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
Just how you guys probably dont like being made fun of, i'm sure the dance team feels the same way. I'm sure they also work hard to do what they are passionate about. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean you have to make fun of them. Treat others like you want to be treated...
I did not make fun of anyone, I merely called them normal like everyone else.

#427   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, this quote is from the very first post of this thread and it is the purpose of this thread.
Quote:
Since we are an all-girls team, we have lately been interested in the roles of girls on co-ed teams. Some members of my team were doing a survey of the number of girls on teams and their jobs at the Buckeye Regional. We were very disappointed to discover that on some teams, girls were given only the job of cheerleader, or publicist. Continuing that, just please give the number of girls on your team, along w/ the number of students on your team, and what the girls usually do. Thanks a lot!
Let's get back to that.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #428   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Guys, this quote is from the very first post of this thread and it is the purpose of this thread.

Let's get back to that.
Jane
Sí Sra.

#429   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a "girls on teams" anecdote for you. One of Exothermic Robotics' FTC teams has three girls and two boys on it. When the discussion of "who's going to drive the 'bot?" came up, one of the boys said, "I'll drive and <otherboy> will operate the game controls." One of the girls -- a friendly, short, peaceful girl -- said, "Nope. <Othergirl> is driving and I'm operating the arm." And that's the way it was. They were the top-seeded robot after qualifying and could easily have led their #1 alliance to winning the event if it weren't for a tragic mistake I won't go into.

Anyway. They were great drivers, went to the semifinals, and won the Innovate award.

Last edited by Rick TYler : 03-13-2008 at 03:42 PM.
  #430   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
FRC #1137 (Rocket Sauce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
I'm not making fun of any dance team, I'm saying not to. I love my schools dance team, and just like sometimes our robotics team is bad at our school, the dance team can be. Everyone has their days, it's just not always nice to point it out.
  #431   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
will return to 766 soon!
AKA: Mika Lai
FRC #0766 (M-A Bears)
Team Role: College Student

Blue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry. If it means anything, I regret that post. I posted it hastily and without thinking.

To go back to the original thread topic, today at Silicon Valley we had one girl programming (our one and only programmer ... assisted by awesome parent/teacher, but still, GO TAMARA! ) and three girls doing mechanical improvements/fix-ups and scouting. Lots and lots of scouting. One of the parents was also scouting matches- who happened to be a team member's awesome mom. Yes, we value mothers and fathers equally. As for drive team, driver is male, copilot/box op (same programmer mentioned above) is female, "Robocoach" is male, coach is female student. So far. Things may switch around during the next two days of competition. Total today in the Pits we had two boys and three girls, studentwise. We'll have more tomorrow and Saturday, but meanwhile- anyone else have different male-female ratios during Build Season vs. Competition?

"Show a girl how to use a wrench, and she'll put those skills to use for a lifetime. Hand it to her and tell her she's probably better off shopping, and she'll clonk you over the head with it, do your pneumatics system, and CAD the robot." -Amanda Morrison

'09
  #432   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
FRC #0399 (Eagle Robotics)
Team Role: Marketing

jill399 is a jewel in the roughjill399 is a jewel in the roughjill399 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to jill399

There's about 20 girls on our team of 40ish students. 8 of the girls do Media Marketing (with me), one does animation and the other 10 do manufacturing. The leader of the design team is a girl, our Product Integration Manager is a girl, and a lot of the girls who normally do Media stuff float around and end up helping out in the shop for a few days. Our operator and our robocoach are girls too.

But I agree with some of the other posts about it not mattering much WHO does a job as long as SOMEONE does. It's important to encourage integration but if the girls on your team would rather do PR stuff, then more power to them.
2007 Championships!
2008 LA Regional Chairman's Winners
2008 LA Regional Safety award Winners
2008 Championships!
  #433   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill399 View Post
There's about 20 girls on our team of 40ish students. 8 of the girls do Media Marketing (with me), one does animation and the other 10 do manufacturing. The leader of the design team is a girl, our Product Integration Manager is a girl, and a lot of the girls who normally do Media stuff float around and end up helping out in the shop for a few days. Our operator and our robocoach are girls too.

But I agree with some of the other posts about it not mattering much WHO does a job as long as SOMEONE does. It's important to encourage integration but if the girls on your team would rather do PR stuff, then more power to them.
This is a good reiteration of the previous post ( nullifying the last 20 or so), and as before I have to agree.

#434   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Team Captain
FRC #1991 (Dragons)
Team Role: Driver

Flanamana is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler View Post
Here's a "girls on teams" anecdote for you. One of Exothermic Robotics' FTC teams has three girls and two boys on it. When the discussion of "who's going to drive the 'bot?" came up, one of the boys said, "I'll drive and <otherboy> will operate the game controls." One of the girls -- a friendly, short, peaceful girl -- said, "Nope. <Othergirl> is driving and I'm operating the arm." And that's the way it was. They were the top-seeded robot after qualifying and could easily have led their #1 alliance to winning the event if it weren't for a tragic mistake I won't go into.

Anyway. They were great drivers, went to the semifinals, and won the Innovate award.
I love how the girl says "no" and that's how it is. This thread is supposed to be about equality but it's just as bad here, there were just more girls than guys in this situation.

#435   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:16 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanamana View Post
I love how the girl says "no" and that's how it is. This thread is supposed to be about equality but it's just as bad here, there were just more girls than guys in this situation.
For what it's worth, if the boys had said, "So, let's work out a way to pick our drivers" rather than "the boys will drive" things might have gone differently...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: