OCCRA
Go to Post Never leave future engineers alone, especially with something like gravity. - Alex Pelan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2003, 10:21 PM
AKA: Patrick Dingle
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
patrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to patrickrd
Slow scoring system at regionals

Has anyone noticed how slow and unreliable the scoring system is this year?? At Canada teams had to wait up to 5 minutes to wait for the computer to scroll through (at a rate of 1 team per 4 seconds) the rankings! There was often about 50 people as a result all bunched around a TV, blocking traffic around the pits. Can't they speed this up? (not to mention keep it from crashing)

Alumni - Team 190 - Mass Academy / WPI
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2003, 11:13 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
jnatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jnatt Send a message via Yahoo to jnatt
You need to understand that there are numeous portions to the scoring system.

Among these are the following:

1. Refs - These individuals need to examine and evaluate the field, determine what is in play and what is not. Additionally they need to agree on all aspects of what they see. There is no replay or review (even with SOAP).

2. The FIRST Staff and Volunteers - These individuals need to review the refs report and post it to the system. This year this means also posting it to the FIRST Website too. Hence they may need to establish connections to the server in the FIRST HQ. This could cause a bit of a delay.

3. There is the nature delay that may appear from waiting.

Now I can not speak for the Canadian Regional, but they try hard to make everything move quickly. I know that in Canada their are less expirienced Volunteers and thus it may of taken a few more minutes to get the system write. So give them a chance for they will improve with time.

Joel
FIRST Volunteer and Network Designer for Championship

FIRST Volunteer and Network Architect for Championship
IT Support for Team 108 - Motorola/Dillard/Taravella HS
SOAP108

2003 UCF Regional Winner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2003, 11:13 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

Rookie Year: 2001
mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02
i was at the NYC Regionals and i noticed the same thing as far as the scoring and rankings are concerned. The "mini - scorer" displayed on the big screen out by the field wasn't used at all during the matches and the scorer / ranking lists located in the pits were working at a fairly slow pace making walking in the pits felt like a day walking out on 34th. st or times square. I guess all that really counts was that it was accurate and useful for teams when it came down to seeing where they ranked and the "you choose the team" game for alliance picking.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:25 AM
harker robotics :. 1072
AKA: Aonic
#1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
AlbertW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlbertW
the rank-scroller was insanely slow, but the in-game-scoring system was MOSTLY accurate, though having the judges hand off the final score on paper seemed counter-productive when they had the mini-scoring program already running.

We were the first seeded first-year team at a first-year FIRST regional.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm Back.
AKA: Andrew K.
#0104 (Team Universal)

Rookie Year: 2002
apk will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to apk Send a message via AIM to apk Send a message via MSN to apk Send a message via Yahoo to apk
I found out why (at least one reason) the pit scoring system kept crasing.

The database used to hold the scores and such is hosted on one of the laptops by the field. This laptop's OS is Windows 98 (First Edition) and this OS can only support one network connection.

After each match, they have to dail-up to some network to post the scores. This causes windows to ignore the local area network.

The scoreing display in the pits has to keep updateing itself from this laptop, but it is unable to do this when the laptop is using its dial-up connection.

Thus the scoring system crashes.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Z = Z^2 + C ......WHEEEE!
AKA: aXvXiA
#0461 (West Side Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: College Student

Caleb Fulton has a spectacular aura aboutCaleb Fulton has a spectacular aura aboutCaleb Fulton has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Caleb Fulton
Yeah...The pit scoring system could have been MUCH faster than it was, but the fact that they even HAVE an in-game scoring system for the audience to see is incredible IMO.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm Back.
#0104 (Team Universal)

Send a message via ICQ to apk Send a message via AIM to apk Send a message via MSN to apk Send a message via Yahoo to apk
The one thing that I'm still wondering about is that Microsoft is a sponsor, and they are only using 98 first edition.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 12:54 PM
AKA: Jon Gambrell
no team

jon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jon
Not to mention that since it starts with 1st seed at the top, you only have a couple seconds to read who's on top. Kinda annoying when you're trying to look over people to read the QP differences and all... And then at the end, the last seeds are shown... all the way until the last one is at the top. You know what I mean if you've seen it.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Alumni
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Todd Derbyshire will become famous soon enoughTodd Derbyshire will become famous soon enough
Yah I dislike the scoring system in general. It cost my team a regional already see my sig for further details.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 01:34 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Quote:
Originally posted by jnatt
You need to understand that there are numeous portions to the scoring system.

Among these are the following:

1. Refs - These individuals need to examine and evaluate the field, determine what is in play and what is not. Additionally they need to agree on all aspects of what they see. There is no replay or review (even with SOAP).

2. The FIRST Staff and Volunteers - These individuals need to review the refs report and post it to the system. This year this means also posting it to the FIRST Website too. Hence they may need to establish connections to the server in the FIRST HQ. This could cause a bit of a delay.

3. There is the nature delay that may appear from waiting.

Now I can not speak for the Canadian Regional, but they try hard to make everything move quickly. I know that in Canada their are less expirienced Volunteers and thus it may of taken a few more minutes to get the system write. So give them a chance for they will improve with time.

Joel
FIRST Volunteer and Network Designer for Championship
They were talking about the screen in the pits that displays rankings, etc. I agree that it was way too slow, and there is already a thread on this...

Cory
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Quote:
Originally posted by apk
I found out why (at least one reason) the pit scoring system kept crasing.

The database used to hold the scores and such is hosted on one of the laptops by the field. This laptop's OS is Windows 98 (First Edition) and this OS can only support one network connection.

After each match, they have to dail-up to some network to post the scores. This causes windows to ignore the local area network.

The scoreing display in the pits has to keep updateing itself from this laptop, but it is unable to do this when the laptop is using its dial-up connection.

Thus the scoring system crashes.
Depending on what was sent to any given event, this is usually not the case. The way I was set up at Great Lakes was as follows:

Server: Win2K laptop running filemaker server and NOTHING else
FTP: Win98 computer running filemaker and a continuous connection to Earthlink for results uploading. No problems noted at GLR caused by having LAN and dialup connection simultaneously.
A/V: Win2K laptop running Flash timer/real time scoring app and Filemaker.
Pit: Win98 computer with only LAN connection to server.

My experience is that most of the problems with the pit connection were not caused by the dialup connection interfering with the LAN, but rather the router/hub used for the network being somewhat sensitive to power fluctuations, as well as defects being introduced into the VERY long LAN cable running from scoring to the pit. I know that last year, one problem was caused by our LAN cable getting pinched in a doorway.
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm Back.
#0104 (Team Universal)

That was the config at philly.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2003, 09:50 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate Smith
Depending on what was sent to any given event, this is usually not the case. The way I was set up at Great Lakes was as follows:

Server: Win2K laptop running filemaker server and NOTHING else
FTP: Win98 computer running filemaker and a continuous connection to Earthlink for results uploading. No problems noted at GLR caused by having LAN and dialup connection simultaneously.
A/V: Win2K laptop running Flash timer/real time scoring app and Filemaker.
Pit: Win98 computer with only LAN connection to server.

My experience is that most of the problems with the pit connection were not caused by the dialup connection interfering with the LAN, but rather the router/hub used for the network being somewhat sensitive to power fluctuations, as well as defects being introduced into the VERY long LAN cable running from scoring to the pit. I know that last year, one problem was caused by our LAN cable getting pinched in a doorway.
from what i learned in cisco networking all cables including cat 5 are only as good as the length there cut at while including the amount of times it could get squashed or various pinches. have u tried using a repeater located close to half the length of cable to capture the entire signal and resend it.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: