Go to Post At one point, we were all once rookies. - Vin211 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 09:36 AM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
what cameras did you use for still photos at regionals?

I noticed monsieurcoffee took some great still photos at the Canadian regional - sharp, no blurring, not using a flash (that I can tell) and the color balance is excellent.

What still cameras did people use at regionals? what worked well for you?

I used a digital camera last year, and everything came out blurred or underexposed (small flash).

This year I took a Pentax SLR with f1.7 50mm and f2.8 135mm lenses, and my monster flash unit. Iwas able to take photos without the flash in the pits and on the field, with the lens opened all the way using ASA400 Kodak print film.

Using the big flash unit I could take flash photos up to 40 feet away (but I dont like the way the background is always dark in flash photos in an open arena). You can see some of my photos in the Canadian regional section of the photo gallery. I scanned them at 600dpi and tweaked the color balance best I could.

What did other people use? what worked well for you?

Last edited by KenWittlief : 04-08-2003 at 10:26 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 03:36 PM
not on CD enough...
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
OneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of light
Team 341 used a assortment of cameras- including two Sony DSC-P8's, a Sony DSC-P10, and a Nikon Coolpix.. All worked great and allowed for instaneous usage of pictures- we just uploaded them on a mentor's laptop and displayed some on our big screen in front of our pit...

check the cameras out at

http://www.dpreview.com/
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 05:06 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
I used my handy Canon Powershot S110.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason and Dave, beware...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 05:15 PM
\: |
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma
Quote:
Originally posted by Wetzel
I used my handy Canon Powershot S110.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason and Dave, beware...
Me too.

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 07:56 PM
J = Pf - Po
FRC #0814 (Megaforce Squadron)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Alaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Alaina
Re: what cameras did you use for still photos at regionals?

Quote:
Originally posted by KenWittlief

This year I took a Pentax SLR with f1.7 50mm and f2.8 135mm lenses, and my monster flash unit. Iwas able to take photos without the flash in the pits and on the field, with the lens opened all the way using ASA400 Kodak print film.
*steals your camera and runs away with it*

I want an SLR soo badly...But no...I just have this stupid little point-and-shoot. It sucks.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:06 PM
BSEE, MSEE, JD in progress
AKA: employed
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Stephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Kowski Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen Kowski
Minolta Dimage X
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)

AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
Canon Powershot S200.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:11 PM
AKA: Evan
FLL #1218 (CHAbots)
Team Role: Driver

edomus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edomus
Canon Elan 7 with a 24-85mm and 80-210mm and built in flash with b&W 400 film. Also, a canon digital elph. Both always work great.

2004 Gallileo champions and #1 seed
  • Delphi "Driving tommarows technology" -philly 2004
  • 8th seed philly 2004
  • 58/58 at annapolis 2004 (like the improvement?)
  • Philadelphia Alliance Regional Winner!-2003
  • 7th seed Philly 2003
  • Rookie all star philly 2003
  • semi finalist Pitt 2003
  • picked 3rd in pitt 2003
  • Seeded 17(curie) at nats 2003
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:38 PM
"I am a Meat Popsicle"
AKA: Jim Martz
None #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Specialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Specialagentjim
I'll have my new Sony DSC-f717 for nats. I juss got it AFTER chicago midwest. Its soo cool

Quality-wise, so far its amazing. If you feel like downloading 1.77 megs and want to see a gear out of a SigmaC@T 108 UCF transmission, then you can see some of its great quality.

http://payfoo.com/gear.jpg

..and that's with horrible lighting conditions (my room). Its got great color and lighting correction, not to mention amazing autofocus even in the dark. Definetly cool.

Curie Division 2005 Champions (175, 33, 108)
UCF 2005 Website Award
Midwest 2005 Delphi's Driving Tomorrow's Technology

2004 UCF QuarterFinalists (1065, 86, 108)

UCF 2003 Regional Champs/Entrepreneurship Award
Midwest Regional 2003 Leadership In Controls/Website award
Nationals 2003 Quarter Finalists
Robot Rodeo 2003 Champions (Alliance: 180 and 186)

AIM S/N: Specialagentjim
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang
Sony DSC - P71

However, some of them were taken by Vicki on our team for scouting; I just uploaded them. She has a Canon digital camera and they've got nice lens. If you go to www.orbitreview.com/~temp/639movies and follow the links to an apache directory for pics, those are hers. I spent most of the time in the pits and didn't take too many pics after the build season.

But also, I do take photos as a hobby and I can say that digital cameras for robotics isn't a bad choice. My Sony will get to 1/200th of a second for those fast and hectic autonomous modes and the picture comes out great...

Pic I took and like of us up top with partners... lezze... this was a 166 point match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robotuptop.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1257  
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2003, 10:17 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
My digicam is a cheapo Olympus C-100 (I think) 1.3MP. It's decent when the robots are moving really slow. Bad shutter speed. It works quite well under those bright lights with no flash. There's no optical zoom and it takes quite a while (~10 seconds) to write to the flash memory. The pics tend to be a bit grainy...but what can you expect from a lower-quality camera? It works great for what I want it for.

My dad's digicam is a nice Nikon Coolpix 880 3MP. 3x optical zoom, I think. It works quite well. Large, colorful, and sharp pictures. It works great in-doors with no flash and semi-decent lighting. Beautiful camera.

My Minolta SRT 200 (SLR) worked great with a 1/1000th shutter speed with the aperture about halfway open. No flash. I didn't use it this year...too much of a pain to get decent shots. I don't think auto-focus was around (or popular) in the late 60's when my camera was made. Hehe. I think I have a 5x zoom, a telescoping lense, and a wide-angle lense. (My dad used to be an avid photographer...we have a darkroom in the basement and a whole slew of cameras...antiques, classics, and new!)
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2003, 09:37 AM
#1067 (SLUH)

Frank(Aflak) is on a distinguished road
Canon EOS-1D. Well, for some of the pictures, anyway.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2003, 12:09 PM
harker robotics :. 1072
AKA: Aonic
#1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
AlbertW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlbertW
Canon PowerShot S230. REALLY nice camera.

halfway through build i took some night shots so I had the exposure set to high, and i FORGOT TO CHANGE IT BACK!

so most of my pics of later build season were REALLY blurry, though the LEDs and the rotating light made stuff look really trippy, if not cool

We were the first seeded first-year team at a first-year FIRST regional.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: