Go to Post Instead of arguing about what should have been, learn from the breaks, and celebrate the gracious professionalism being displayed by the other 99% of teams. Word. - PVCMike [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Real names, please

As a long time addict of the ChiefDelphi forums, I sometimes jump up on my soapbox and preach a bit. Not all agree with me when I do this, which is understandable.

During the excellent FIRST Competition season, I got to meet many people who frequent these boards. There are many relationships that mutually benefit our teams and FIRST in general. These relationships are between students and adults alike.

Often, I would meet someone at a competition, and the other person would say "hi, my name is ____"..."you might know me as sdfsd^*$WL (or something like that) on the ChiefDelphi Forums"

Although I understand nicknames... communication would sure be easier if you all just put your name as your screen name. First names are good. First names with last initials are good... but some goofy screen name that does not identify you is barely useful.

All I am doing is trying to improve communications and relations between people in this community. I may sound like a nag, but I see this bettering our already great FIRST community on this fine website.

So... I challenge you all to change your screen name to your real name.

Andy B.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Quote:
Although I understand nicknames... communication would sure be easier if you all just put your name as your screen name. First names are good. First names with last initials are good... but some goofy screen name that does not identify you is barely useful.
I do not think there is enough room to spell my last name. Anyway I agree with you I have seen this done in other forums also and it works fairly well.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Hi. My name is Joseph.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Missing In Action
#0247 ('da bears)
Team Role: Alumni

DanLevin247 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DanLevin247
Horray for conformity! I've had my username like this (My real first and last name, and my team number) for a long time. I think that people who go by nicknames are just fine the way they are, but maybe the addition of their real name in their signature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.....then it's hillarious!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:43 AM
A Fire Outside
AKA: Brandon Joerges
#0470 (Alpha Omega)

Gadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Gadget470 Send a message via AIM to Gadget470
Re: Real names, please

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Baker
So... I challenge you all to change your screen name to your real name.
Well, to do that we'd either have to:
a) Ask Brandon Martus to change our username
b) Sign up for a new account

I don't think BM wants 100 requests for a name change, nor 100 new users signing up whom already have an account.
Quote:
a) If you made a mistake when entering your username, or just want to change it, you have to contact the forum administrator. [faq]
b)Creating multiple accounts for a single user is not allowed. [rules]
I'll stick my name in my custom title though, just for you

Ompha1oskepsis 118448018 bjoerges@gmail.com
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)

Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace
my name's in my sig.........

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Political Junkie
AKA: Kerry Girl
#0691 (Hart Burn)

Kristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I agree that I've spent time piecing together people's first names from their CD names when I go to competitions or tigerbolt, etc and it gets a little confusing sometimes. I may eventually change my user name but I think writing your name in your signature also works for the time being. This would definitely help so Brandon doesn't get inundated with hundreds of user name requests all at once.

edit: jake got to it right before me

AIM: Doanie8
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Re: Re: Real names, please

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget470
Well, to do that we'd either have to:
a) Ask Brandon Martus to change our username
b) Sign up for a new account
A = Good.
B = Bad.

I don't mind changing usernames. It takes about 1/47th of a second to do. Although I don't mind realcoolFIRSTer3847 or something, I would like to see more real names. I am always happy, for some reason, when someone eventually changes from realcool.. to Pat Smith.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:04 PM
\: |
no team

FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma
"FotoPlasma" is the pseudonym I use as consistently as possible. My real name is in my sig. I hope I'm not offending anyone...

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:06 PM
harker robotics :. 1072
AKA: Aonic
#1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
AlbertW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlbertW
maybe you could let people change their display names?

We were the first seeded first-year team at a first-year FIRST regional.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
Andy's got a good point... it really takes me forever to learn names, and it's even harder to associate characters and avatars to the person (whose name, at that point, I can't remember in the first place).

Even though I've been 'amandabean' for years, I figured I might as well change. Being called amandabean at competitions is starting to get old.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:10 PM
A Fire Outside
AKA: Brandon Joerges
#0470 (Alpha Omega)

Gadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Gadget470 Send a message via AIM to Gadget470
Quote:
realcool.. to Pat Smith.
I know a Pat Smith... he's not cool
</digress>

Ompha1oskepsis 118448018 bjoerges@gmail.com
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:15 PM
harker robotics :. 1072
AKA: Aonic
#1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
AlbertW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlbertW
hm...

i'll stick it in my custom title

We were the first seeded first-year team at a first-year FIRST regional.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Political Junkie
AKA: Kerry Girl
#0691 (Hart Burn)

Kristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Well I decided to change my username before any other Kristina's with a K decided to steal it. Yup, I jumped in on the bandwagon.

AIM: Doanie8
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:26 PM
{Error Processing Custom Title}
AKA: oneangrydwarf/jtosh
no team (old school gangsta)

Rookie Year: 2000
Josh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Josh Hambright
What if we dont like our real name?
Co-Founder IndianaFIRST

Share your FIRST photos on Flickr!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: