Go to Post Legos rock! - Kyle Love [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
Software Magic Smoke

Here is an open question to all...
Why is there no "magic Smoke" in software? Electronics have magic smoke, motors and batteries have magic smoke, even joysticks have magic smoke. Why haven't I ever heard, "Look at that robot, it's software just released some smoke!" No software guy has ever been heard saying, "The magic smoke is out, so I have to replace the software before the next match." Anybody else notice this phenomena? Just checking...
www.wildstang.org
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Big O
#0122 (Nasa Knights)

srawls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to srawls
The reason, of course, is that it's a hardware problem!

Well, us software guys have segmentation faults, which is kind of close I suppose.

Stephen
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 03:00 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
the most common cause of SW probems is a stack overflow

which would have been an interesting thing to see in this years game: "We built a stack 8 high, then the stack overflowed"

?!

BTW - mechanical parts are pumped full of noise instead of smoke. They are made in machine shops, where they pump the noise in.

When mechanical parts are being used, the noise is suppose to be let out a tiny bit at a time.

when all the noise has leaked out, the mechanical part will stop working - thats why, if its making a lot of noise, it wont last very long

the noise is leaking out too fast!

then you have to send it back to a machine shop - where they can put in on a noise generation machine - and pump it full again.

BTW - SW has no mass, therefore it can travel faster than the speed of light

also, since it has no mass, it is not ruled by the laws of physics, therefore it is also eternal!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Go Badgers!
Team Role: Alumni

Jnadke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jnadke Send a message via AIM to Jnadke Send a message via Yahoo to Jnadke
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Skierkiewicz
Here is an open question to all...
Why is there no "magic Smoke" in software? Electronics have magic smoke, motors and batteries have magic smoke, even joysticks have magic smoke. Why haven't I ever heard, "Look at that robot, it's software just released some smoke!" No software guy has ever been heard saying, "The magic smoke is out, so I have to replace the software before the next match." Anybody else notice this phenomena? Just checking...

Because software people are infallible. Nobody really knows how it works except for the guy that created it. He just blames the problem on the hardware people, tells them to fix it, and installs the patch while nobody's looking.

Last edited by Jnadke : 04-28-2003 at 03:23 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
I think the reason that there is no software magic smoke is that everyone expects the software to fail. No one expects the hardware to fail.

And I'll add a quote about that: If it's not on fire, it's a software problem.

Matt
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 07:39 PM
AKA: Ashlee Snodgrass
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
A. Snodgrass is a splendid one to beholdA. Snodgrass is a splendid one to beholdA. Snodgrass is a splendid one to beholdA. Snodgrass is a splendid one to beholdA. Snodgrass is a splendid one to beholdA. Snodgrass is a splendid one to beholdA. Snodgrass is a splendid one to behold
Software might not have magic smoke...but it CAN have gremlins...little errors in the code which are a pain to trace. Even if you get all of them, which I doubt is completely possible, you will STILL have the little buggers running around, hidden. Its part of the joys of programming.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Mentor

Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross
Quote:
Originally posted by A. Snodgrass
Software might not have magic smoke...but it CAN have gremlins...little errors in the code which are a pain to trace. Even if you get all of them, which I doubt is completely possible, you will STILL have the little buggers running around, hidden. Its part of the joys of programming.
...which reminds me:
Axiom #1: Every program has at least one bug.
Axiom #2: Every program can be shortened by at least one instruction.
It is, therefore, obvious that any program may be reduced to a single instruction which does not work.
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:10 PM
TECHsan
AKA: Chris David
FRC #1817 (Llano Estacado RoboRaiders)

Rookie Year: 2000
118 Tech is a glorious beacon of light118 Tech is a glorious beacon of light118 Tech is a glorious beacon of light118 Tech is a glorious beacon of light118 Tech is a glorious beacon of light118 Tech is a glorious beacon of light
From my CS 2413 Data Structures Prof
"For every one line of code there are ten lines for error checking"

Also The concept of Magic smoke must be modified to suit the computer. Since motors are phsyical they relase phsyical smoke. Software is not physical but more 0's and 1's they leave differnt kinds of residue. More like dangling pointers and non deallocated memory left during the development process of your dynamicaly allocated doubly linked list class for 2413. These little nuggets of fun left by your software can lead to file system corruption. From my CS 2382 Discrete Mathamatics Prof "One of the most costly and dangerous operations in computers is alocating memory"

So in terms of the InnovationFIRST controller, not as much "smoke" as does other ways. But the use of the term software and talking about the the Fun leftovers of software you gotta go into more advaced software.

118 Robonauts
2000-2001
"Once a Robonaut always a Robonaut"

1817 Llano Estacado RoboRaiders
2006-2007

Couchville - Simple TV Listings
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:48 PM
SPAM, the lunchmeat of superheroes!
AKA: Eric Schreffler
FRC #0180 (SPAM)

Rookie Year: 2001
EricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond repute
..the best you can guarantee is that software "gives the appearance of working..."
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2003, 10:11 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Computer SW has one MAJOR flaw:

100% of the time, no matter what - it does EXACTLY what you told it to do

instead of what you WANTED it to do

:c)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2003, 01:20 AM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Mentor

Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross
Quote:
Originally posted by KenWittlief
Computer SW has one MAJOR flaw:

100% of the time, no matter what - it does EXACTLY what you told it to do...
...unless it's a hardware problem. (Really! It happens! I've seen it myself! It was mostly back in the day... but it's got to still happen. )

That reminds me of a joke:
Quote:
"Two Irishmen walk out of a bar...

It could happen!"
(My apologies to my fellow Irishmen... Hey, I have a little Irish blood. )
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2003, 08:22 AM
no team

now you are talking about what is referred to as CS101 syndrome.

A freshman takes his first CS course, and his first assignment is to write a program that reads in 3 numbers, and prints the sum.

The program doesnt work, so after stareing at it for 10 minutes he reaches the ONLY possible conclusion:

"HEY! THE MAINFRAME IS SCREWED UP!"

:c)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2003, 08:29 AM
no team

BTW - if the things an electrical engineer makes are filled with smoke

and the things mechanical enginners make are filled with noise

then what about stuff made by:

Civil engineers? [anti-gravity?!]

chemical engineers?

Bio-engineers / Genetic engineers?

aerospace engineers?

domestic engineers?

[remember, the critical essence only reveals itself when the creation fails]
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2003, 08:11 AM
FRC #1246 (Agincourt Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1997
Lloyd Burns is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you are looking in the wrong direction: When motors are overloaded, they release magic smoke from their cases, but when software failed, it is the programmer who gets smoked !!!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2003, 08:25 AM
5 IA teams, WHOs w/me?
AKA: Seth F.
no team
Team Role: Student

T967 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to T967
I know nothing of this programming stuff. SOME observations: 1.Software people are jumpy. 2.Software people hate to eat. 3.Software people love to eat. 4.Software people scream and grab their hair alot. 5.Software people don't have the energy to physicaly harm their computer just hit the screen limply. 6.Software people often muble things like, "WHAT??!!", "I'M BUSY!", "ARGGH" or "AHHH" or "EEK!", "Yeah I can do that!", "We can't do that!", "It's to complicated for you".

Oh and as for magic smoke out programmer has something called the "evil blue screen of death".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: