Go to Post We are not here to build robots, or to win a contest, or to travel to cool places or to bring home trophies. we are here to see what a career in engineering and science is like; anything else that happens along the way is frosting on the cake - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > CD Forum Support
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL
Angry Arrrrrrrg... PM alert doesn't work

Grrrar.... I just happened to accidentally click my PM link by accident today... turns out it was one of those good accidents - I found a PM in there from a few days ago that someone sent me. Unfortionately, this time I didn't get the little pop-up box. This wasn't the first time either. I don't know what it is, but sometimes that popup box just doesn't appear for me. I don't know if it's because I come here through a bookmark or my IE security level sometimes disables it... maybe it's my popup stopper... I don't know what it is, but this wasn't the first time a pm has been just sitting in my inbox because I never got that little javascript popup and so had no knowledge of the message.

I've been thinking about it, and how about this for a simple solution... you know the place where it has your username and logout link? How about if you have new messages sitting in your inbox, a little thing appears there that says "2 New Messages" or however many messages are sitting there with a link to your mailbox?. In my opinion, this is a lot more reliable than javascript (since it's not affected by different settings) and it's not really all that gluttersome. It doesn't seem like it would take all that much effort either. What do you guys think? Here's a photoshop of what I had in mind:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cd.gif
Views:	188
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1346  
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Actually it is there but it is really obscure. If you look at the bottom of the listing of the forums it tells you your private messages. Its underneath the archives.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097

DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
That makes it all the eaiser to implement it on the top - 90% of the code already exists. After all, most of us never scroll past Chit Chat. It would be nice for when, as soon as you load CD, to have at the top, easily viewable, how many unread messages you still have. I didn't know about the existing one because I just never scroll that low - theres usually no need to.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Yeah.

I use Opera (and previously Mozilla) and the JavaScript for the popup is (and was) blocked by both browsers. I was thinking of putting something up top, but just haven't gotten around to it. (I too missed a 3-day old PM, even with the e-mail notification). I find that I erase the PM notification email, and then forget about it once through the rest of my email.

Anyway: yea, I'll add something up there tonight or tomorrow.

-Brandon

[edit]just looked at your image, thats a good place for it, ill add it there[/edit]
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
I know there is a setting where you can get email notifications of your pms.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 04:10 PM
FIRST-a-holic Strategist
#1011 (CRUSH)

WakeZero will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WakeZero Send a message via Yahoo to WakeZero
I missed a PM this way too =)

Usually I get the pop-up though
2003 Arizona Regional -- Rookie All-Star Award
2003 Arizona Regional -- Quarterfinalist

Alumni on Team 64, The Gila Monsters
College Mentor/Founder of Team 1011, CRUSH
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Re: Arrrrrrrg... PM alert doesn't work

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDanman
how about this for a simple solution...
Ok, it's in place now. Thanks for the suggestion & motivation.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2003, 11:33 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
/me likes

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:19 AM
#0159 (Alpine Robotics)

tatsak42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tatsak42
2 words. über sexy.

Good job brandon!

Edited the word before sexy. it got replaced with "$@#$@#$@#$@#"

Last edited by tatsak42 : 05-08-2003 at 07:08 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097

looks great... thanks for following up on the suggestion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: