OCCRA
Go to Post God bless the camera. That's all I gotta say. - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
QotW 06-08-03: The downtime.

So, I sort of forgot that it's Sunday.
Anyway, that's why the QotW is coming so late today.

There's something that's been on all of our minds lately, and it's really exciting to think about;

Question of the Week 06-08-03: What is the answer to Net Riddler 2.9?

...nah, just kidding. ...but, I'm sure some people would appreciate the help.

The real thing that I think most people have been thinking lots and lots about is the end of the school year and the rapid approach of summer. It's just a few weeks away now.

Of course, there's a world beyond FIRST that is filled with the lots of other fascinating pasttimes and hobbies.

Question of the Week, for real, 06-08-03: What non-robotics related things do you do with your team? How far to FIRST friendships really go?

I've run into groups of FIRST kids all over the place, in more states than I can count, doing all sorts of different things. I wonder if I've ever seen you and your team somewhere outside an event.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 06:26 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
Re: QotW 06-08-03: The downtime.

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Krass
So, I sort of forgot that it's Sunday.
Anyway, that's why the QotW is coming so late today.

There's something that's been on all of our minds lately, and it's really exciting to think about;

Question of the Week 06-08-03: What is the answer to Net Riddler 2.9?

...nah, just kidding. ...but, I'm sure some people would appreciate the help.

The real thing that I think most people have been thinking lots and lots about is the end of the school year and the rapid approach of summer. It's just a few weeks away now.

Of course, there's a world beyond FIRST that is filled with the lots of other fascinating pasttimes and hobbies.

Question of the Week, for real, 06-08-03: What non-robotics related things do you do with your team? How far to FIRST friendships really go?

I've run into groups of FIRST kids all over the place, in more states than I can count, doing all sorts of different things. I wonder if I've ever seen you and your team somewhere outside an event.
Well, I don't have a team, so the first part doesn't apply to me. I've also run into FIRST kids quite a bit, and I have quite a few true frieds from that huge pool. Exibit A: I have no team, but Lee M. is giving me rides to the off-season comps. I have people offering advice on how to start a team. I had a very enlightening conversation with Ken Leung the other day. And that's just the tip of the iceburg. So to answer the second part, my FIRST friendships go very far.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 06:32 PM
In Hibernation
#0481 (DART)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2000
Kevin A will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kevin A
Team Bonding

Our team does whats called team bonding. We just drive around and act like crazy high school kids on friday nights. Maybe we go out to ice cream, maybe we play on the beach, go to Krispy Kreme.

We just have fun!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 06:46 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
I spend almost all of my time with a couple of my team members. They're not just teammates, they're my closest friends, too. We haven't done anything in the way of team events in a while, but there are a few of us that spend a lot of time together. Every day at school, I went out to lunch with Emily and Stephanie, the other two seniors on our team, I talk to other team members all the time in school and online, and I went to our prom with Stephanie. So, I would say FIRST friendships do go pretty far, at least for me.

We've also been doing some things with the other Rochester, MI teams (201 Rochester, 245 Adams, and 1037 Stoney Creek). We went to play laser tag once during build, and we went bowling right before Great Lakes Regional. We also made "Rochester United Robotics" shirts that all three teams wore Thursday in Houston.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Quote:
http://www.redbullflugtagnyc.com/
Im bored. Really bored. Really really really bird. Errr I mean bored. And to think I do not have to travel to England to do this. Yes this is one competition I have been planning to enter for a while now.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Last edited by Adam Y. : 06-08-2003 at 07:37 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 08:05 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
i'm actually in a program at a "local" (45 minute drive) national lab (www.bnl.gov) over the summer, somewhere in the vast physics department, to work on my intel project (whee!). if i ever get free time, i'll probably st-err, borrow, one of my parents' cars, and go over a friend's house, movies, beach, etc. with my luck though, free time? ha...

i also hope to improve on the 810 dashboard program, and make it a bit more unique if possible (i think we easily have the most exotic dashboard program, not to mention the fastest made one ). yay for long bus rides...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 09:13 PM
no team (AndyMark, Inc.)

Rookie Year: 2001
Brant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Brant Bowen Send a message via Skype™ to Brant Bowen
We have a big group of friends from the robotics team that go out almost every weekend and do stuff. It normally starts when friends from each grade decide to join the team together. For example my 2 best friends and I started robotics 3 years ago. Also, most of last year's freshmen have been friends for a lot of years. Anyways, a big group of us can be seen at the local mall all the time just hanging out. Sometimes we'll go see a movie or get ice cream and we spend a lot of time at the arcade and especially at DDR. Anyways I think that the robotics team has made a lot of us finally feel accepted and introduced us to quite a few good friends.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
FIRST friendships go a long way.

Team Hammond is a very close and personal team. An awful lot of alumni and current members keep in touch, and even us that went off with other teams always know where our home is. The parents and bot boosters that are involved with the team are like our second moms and dads - and people we can always go to for advice or just to chitchat.

Last year, we used to round up the team and go to karaoke Sunday nights, but after a while, we were all tired of it. We all go places together - golfing, movies, out for pizza, parties, you name it. Although the 2001 team has spread out a little bit, almost all of the 2002 members keep in contact. I honestly don't think I could have gotten though this year without wisdom and support of all of my fellow team members. I've learned so many valuable life lessons that I carry with me every day and tried to pass on to my team. One of my favorites came from Mr. Bill Beatty - "We'll win our share" - and I kept that in mind all through this rocky year (and indeed, 1020 won their share).

Outside of 71 last year, I've met so many great people through FIRST that I'm priveleged to say that I know. Chris Noble is one of the few that can always help me to regain my sanity (but beat me up at any given time); Josh Hambright is my 'gentle giant' and one of my great friends whom I can talk to about anything (although most of the time we talk about FIRST, of course); Andy Baker is one of the most courteous and generous people I've had the pleasure of meeting, Jeremy McAnally is a wonderful person who generally cares about other people and always lent me a helping hand. There are so many more that stick out in my mind, and still others I'm waiting to meet at this year's IRI.

I'm very passionate about FIRST, and even moreso when it comes to the friendships forged through it.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2003, 06:28 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Waegelin
I spend almost all of my time with a couple of my team members. They're not just teammates, they're my closest friends, too. We haven't done anything in the way of team events in a while, but there are a few of us that spend a lot of time together. Every day at school, I went out to lunch with Emily and Stephanie, the other two seniors on our team, I talk to other team members all the time in school and online, and I went to our prom with Stephanie. So, I would say FIRST friendships do go pretty far, at least for me.
completely ditto for team 84.. many of us only have the friends that we have on the team, eventhough we come from 5 different rival schools.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
#0159 (Alpine Robotics)

tatsak42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tatsak42
The whole entire team, not a whole lot. But you get to be really good friends with some of the people on the team. So like, a lot of things I do with friends are with robotics people. Went to see a movie with specifically robotics people, was at a party that was predominantly robotics... During robotics, after the meeting was done, we'd go to someone's house and watch a movie, or have dinner or something. Of course, that was before late night work.

How can you really be robotics without creating another circle of friends? The circle's probably made of aluminum and has been swiss-cheesed too
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2003, 07:57 PM
My two weeks notice is in...
AKA: Jason Hoff
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
JAH is a splendid one to beholdJAH is a splendid one to beholdJAH is a splendid one to beholdJAH is a splendid one to beholdJAH is a splendid one to beholdJAH is a splendid one to beholdJAH is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to JAH
Quote:
Originally posted by Brant Bowen
We have a big group of friends from the robotics team that go out almost every weekend and do stuff. It normally starts when friends from each grade decide to join the team together. For example my 2 best friends and I started robotics 3 years ago. Also, most of last year's freshmen have been friends for a lot of years. Anyways, a big group of us can be seen at the local mall all the time just hanging out. Sometimes we'll go see a movie or get ice cream and we spend a lot of time at the arcade and especially at DDR. Anyways I think that the robotics team has made a lot of us finally feel accepted and introduced us to quite a few good friends.
That it has, I am one of those freshman from last year and yeah, most of us had been close friends since like third grade. It got us all involved in something, and at first, we stayed together. Now, all of us have really branched out to others on the team and consider them best friends also. Robotics has got me into something great, it has got me my career choice(ME) and so many friends that I'm sure I'll have for a long time. Robotics Rocks!!

"Red, White, and CyberBlue..."

2006 Arizona Regional Imagery Award Winner
2006 Arizona Regional Entrepreneurship Award Winner
2006 Arizona Regional Website Award Winner
2006 West Michigan Regional Website Award Winner

We've got 2 Woodies, Chris Fultz and Scott Ritchie.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Turbocharged Reject
AKA: Mark Arrowsmith
#0382 (EA Team (Subject to Change...A lot))
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Arrowsmith will become famous soon enoughArrowsmith will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Arrowsmith Send a message via AIM to Arrowsmith Send a message via Yahoo to Arrowsmith
our team is really small, so we do all sorts of bonding things. In the off-season, we decided to build a bunch of other things. The first project is a tank. Its gonna be awesome.
"No. Even if we did, we lack both the plutonium power supply and the motors necessary to reach the 88 mph requirement for time travel. Besides, the Infinite Improbablility Drive is way cooler than the Flux Capacitor."
(commence 20 min argument)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2003, 07:48 AM
#0019 (Big Red)

John JediMaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to John JediMaster
chillin and online FIRSTers

on team 19 in the downtime we are all still working. Though we are incredibly close on this team. We're most likely the most close-knit club in our school. This has been said because we're the only club that sits together at lunch. While not everyone sits there at the same time most everyone has sat at the table at one time or another. For me some of my best friends are FIRSTers. and the FIRSTers that i've met online are quickly becoming really good friends as well. I love robotics so much that I quit football for it. On team 19 everyone is an equal and once you spend enough time there you become imersed in FIRST. After nats theres no going back. (no pun intended)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2003, 02:00 PM
AKA: Sherry Batin
FRC #0692 (The Fembots)
Team Role: Coach

hacksaw692 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hacksaw692

Quote:
Just this past weekend, I had a group of girls from my team at my house for a sleepover, minus the sleep of course. Yeah, we were loud together, prolly kept my parents awake. Then on Monday we had our own little outing at the mall.... and we all hate the mall. It was fun just to be with them. We've got other plans where we can wreak havoc all over town... erm... I mean hang out.

FIRST friendships can go really far actually. I noticed that the grade boundaries were broken. Of my closest friends on the team three were seniors, two were juniors, one sophomore and one freshman. We're more like sisters than anything else. Sadly, the youngest of our friends is moving to New Jersey... but we helped her along for forming a team at her new school. All you Jersey people better be nice to her. lol.

I even made friends with the other local team here. We talk all the time and make plans to do things on weekends and stuff. The funny thing is that I've never had any friends from that school until now. FIRST is great for friendships...
2005 - Sac Robot Inspector
[as much as you may not believe it, Real Life can get in the way of FIRST]
2009 - Team 692, Alumni Mentor/Drive Team Coach

Cal Poly, BS Mechanical Engineering, 2008

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: