Go to Post Cheaters never win, winners never cheat. :) - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
The Science Channel to broadcast FIRST documentary

This note, pasted below, was just sent to team leaders from FIRST:

---------------------------------------

Greetings Teams:

FIRST Robotics Documentary Airs on The Science Channel

Watch the world premiere of "FIRST Robotics 2003" Friday, September 12 at 9pm on The Science Channel. This original documentary was developed, produced, filmed and aired as a contribution to FIRST through the sponsorship of Discovery. The Science Channel team responsible for bringing this effort together has been involved with FIRST for several years, and their personal and professional efforts have made their dream of
promoting FIRST in a significant way a reality. The documentary includes coverage of FIRST teams across the country, of regional events in New York City and San Jose, California, and of the Championship.

The program will be repeated on Tuesday, September 17 and again on Friday, November 21. The Science Channel is available on digital cable or satellite. You can call your provider today and ask for The Science Channel, or go to discovery.com and click on The Science Channel. You can also see the schedule by going to:
http://science.discovery.com/schedul...88&channel=SCI

Through this documentary, Discovery makes the case that FIRST Robotics is the Super Bowl of engineering -- requiring teamwork, dedication and ingenuity. 20,000 of America's brightest high school science students achieve breakthroughs, set the groundwork for brilliant careers, and make extremely cool robots. In this Science Channel original special, the program follows three diverse teams from the team building and robot
building phase, through regional competitions and to the Championship event at the Reliant Arena in Houston, TX. Special thanks for their support of this television project go to FIRST Robotics Teams #254, #339, and #1224.

To learn more about The Science Channel, visit them at
http://science.discovery.com/
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 02:48 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
That's totally awesome. I checked and I do have that channel so I will definitely be watching. I'll send news of this to my team.

Also, for everyone don't forget about www.tvguide.com as the airing times may be slightly different in your area
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 03:11 PM
"flock their sheep"
AKA: Jeffrey Li
FRC #2505 (The Electric Sheep) & FRC #0188 (Blizzard)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
J Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to J Flex 188 Send a message via AIM to J Flex 188
too bad we cant get any of that in canada ><
im actually not sure, even if you have satellite in Canada, whether or not youd be able to receive all american specialty channels.. i know some, but not all

Woburn Robotics, Class of 2005.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 03:15 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250
Hey Andy, i just read the email from FIRST and was going to post about it but i see you beat me to it. Actually while volunteering at the nats this past year, i heard about and got to talk to some of the Science Chanels guys, it sounded awesome then and i cant wait to see it in a few weeks. Everyone who gets the chance i would reccomend watching this, its going to be great!
~Mike

-Michael Dessingue
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 03:40 PM
FTC #6565 (The Stuffed Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2001
Rob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to behold
So now, since a lot of us are at college and don't get the science channel or some people don't get it at home.. Does anyone plan on recording this and then digitizing it, like was done with the first Dean Kamen special on 60 minutes?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 03:43 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Colatutto
So now, since a lot of us are at college and don't get the science channel or some people don't get it at home.. Does anyone plan on recording this and then digitizing it, like was done with the first Dean Kamen special on 60 minutes?
Don't worry Rob, I'm sure SOMEONE will send a copy up to Potsdam.

We'll see it eventually.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 03:47 PM
no team

SarahB has a spectacular aura aboutSarahB has a spectacular aura aboutSarahB has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to SarahB
Iíll be recording it, but I donít have the equipment to digitalize. If anyone does Iíd be happy to give/send them a copy to digitalize and post.

And John, Iíll be giving Rob a copy at some point(probably at Bash) so if youíre really nice to him maybe heíll let you watch it
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Software guy
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Colatutto
Is this a one-hour documentary, or a series of shows? The description isn't very clear.

I'm not getting on any soapbox here, I don't mind people sharing music & movies, but in this case I would recommend everyone actually buy the DVD when the show airs, that's what I plan on doing. Go ahead and get a copy of the digitized version, but if you like it order a copy from Discovery. The simple reason is to encourage them to produce more FIRST related shows. Tell them with your money that you want to see FIRST on TV. I imagine that if they get several thousand orders for the DVD they'll be more inclined to make a similar program this season.

We're finally on TV, now lets let them know that we want to be back next year (but on a channel that people actually get).

Mike
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 04:32 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
I knew having 12 Discovery Channels would come in handy one of these days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Soukup
We're finally on TV, now lets let them know that we want to be back next year (but on a channel that people actually get).
Well, it's a start.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 04:38 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250
Quote:
I would recommend everyone actually buy the DVD when the show airs, that's what I plan on doing.
Thats what i plan on doing, i just hope its not $30...

Quote:
yeah, it kinda a bummer that if we wanted to show this to potential sponsors or soemone they may not have the channel...

~Mike

-Michael Dessingue
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 04:53 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Is this a one-hour documentary, or a series of shows? The description isn't very clear.

I'm not getting on any soapbox here, I don't mind people sharing music & movies, but in this case I would recommend everyone actually buy the DVD when the show airs, that's what I plan on doing. Go ahead and get a copy of the digitized version, but if you like it order a copy from Discovery. The simple reason is to encourage them to produce more FIRST related shows. Tell them with your money that you want to see FIRST on TV. I imagine that if they get several thousand orders for the DVD they'll be more inclined to make a similar program this season.

Mike
Would you happen to know if this is something that they will sell online after the show too? Or available only when it is aired?
I know I would deffinately buy a copy. Thanks for any info!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
This looks like a great idea, and a lot of fun to watch. I know a lot of the HS kids (hey, most of us mentors too) like watching for our teams.

It's great that this is an actual documentary and not just a 10-second spotlight on one of Dean's many interviews (like 60 Minutes II and such), and I'm sure he's happy about it too.

Anyone in the Indianapolis area want to watch? I vote a FIRST party at Chris Noble's... or maybe Andy Baker's?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Quote:
It is one episode shown 12 times. Here are the times:
SCI Sep 12 2003
09:00 PM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 13 2003
12:00 AM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 13 2003
05:00 AM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 13 2003
08:00 AM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 13 2003
01:00 PM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 13 2003
04:00 PM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 17 2003
08:00 PM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 17 2003
11:00 PM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 18 2003
04:00 AM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 18 2003
07:00 AM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 18 2003
12:00 PM FIRST Robotics FIRST Robotics 2003

SCI Sep 18 2003
03:00 PM FIRST Robotics
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Last edited by Adam Y. : 08-29-2003 at 07:34 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 10:33 PM
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 1995
soap108 is a splendid one to beholdsoap108 is a splendid one to beholdsoap108 is a splendid one to beholdsoap108 is a splendid one to beholdsoap108 is a splendid one to beholdsoap108 is a splendid one to beholdsoap108 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by SarahB
Iíll be recording it, but I donít have the equipment to digitalize. If anyone does Iíd be happy to give/send them a copy to digitalize and post.

We know digitizing.

--SOAP Team
www.soap108.com/2003/movies
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
Too bad we all know the outcome.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: