OCCRA
Go to Post Isn't FIRST robotics the answer to life, the universe, and everything? - weberr [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Historians
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Should be teaching right now
FRC #0085 (B.O.B. (Built On Brains))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1996
Steve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to behold
FIRST Historians - [10-9-03] - Walking the Halls

This story is from the start of the 2000-01 season. In the fall I sat at lunch with a Special Education teacher at our school. As usual I was talking about Dean Kamen FIRST and Dean's latest invention, the I-BOT. The teacher mentioned to me that he had a "Stand-up-chair" that the school had just received as a donation for a student here who has Cerebral Palsy. We talked about how the chair allows the girl to stand up and that she uses it for therapy to build muscle strength in her body and legs. He was excited to show the chair to me. When I saw it I thought we could do more to help our student.

Our 2000 robot was reliable but average in competition. I talked to the students about a crazy plan. What if we took the drive system from that robot and used it to make her chair move? The students were excited! We talked to the parents of our new friend Nicole and everyone was ready to give the idea a try. We changed the program in the robot so the joy stick would not be so sensitive then we took the chair and our old machine to the metals shop for the conversion.

We had two engineers with us and Nicole and her family at the shop. Our old robot was a box shape machine. We made 4 cuts to the frame and set it next to the chair. I get chills as I remember this, the drive fit perfect to the chair, just like we had made them for each other! You could have heard pin drop and then excitement as we all realized what we were seeing!

That next week Nicole walked the halls of Zeeland High School for the first time!

At the start of this year we had to do a re-tread for the chair because we hear and see Nicole about once a week going through the halls.

I have attached a picture of the chair for you. The student on the chair graduated last year.

Take care
Steve Yasick
Team 85
Go B.O.B.

Last edited by Jeff Waegelin : 10-09-2003 at 02:49 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2003, 02:48 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to Steve for submitting this, since I've been running short of stories. It truly is one of the most moving things I've ever heard in FIRST. The first time I heard this story, back in 2001, I was truly impressed with this team's dedication and service. Thanks again to Steve for such a great story.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
I read this and was moved to tears.

Thank you for submitting this story - it's ones like these that keep some of us involved in this program... for the sheer compassion that is shown in difficult times.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2003, 03:22 PM
This Space For Sale
AKA: Anthony Mangia
#1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2003
Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Aignam Send a message via Yahoo to Aignam
Great story, Steve, and good job to all you 85-ers! Great to see something like this in FIRST.

Aignam. Pronounced A-Num. Mangia backwards.

NJFIRST.org | Best Thread. Ever.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: