OCCRA
Go to Post All the "official game hint" is is an "official red herring" - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Webmaster, spamrobotics.com
AKA: Jon
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
robot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to robot180
a web design trivia question

Someone said to me that I must know everything about web design. I agreed and said, "of course I do." That person asked...

..."Where did the name 'cookie' come from?"

I had no response. Well, I found out and I was wondering if anyone else knew. I am not exactly sure if this is correct, but lets see who can get it.

Where did the term "cookie" come from? (refering to computers, not food)
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2003, 08:04 PM
None #0064 (The Gila Monsters)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 1998
Sunny Thaper is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Sunny Thaper
Talking

It is a UNIX term, magic cookies.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2003, 09:04 PM
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

robot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to all
Good Job! That is what I heard it was. It is funny that I looked that up just after having all of the problems installing Linux. I got Linux working and I am reading a book on Unix commands to use in Linux. I am going to use a program called Parted to resize the linux partition to get enough space to install wine. By the way, if anyone would like me to explain to them how to get hexidecimal colors, without the color pickers, I know how the whole system works. I know that some of you type in the names like "blue" or "red". Others use programs that let you set the color and copy the code into the script. What if it isn't exactly the right color? I will show you how to get the colors in your head and be able to change them without using a program.
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Fried Manic Custard
None #0675 (Geeks with Power Tools)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2001
djcapelis will become famous soon enoughdjcapelis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to djcapelis Send a message via AIM to djcapelis Send a message via Yahoo to djcapelis
It's just RGB... it's hardly a secret. As for picking values, just use the GIMP's color picker and you'll get it easier than doing it manually. (You have to recheck for the right shade... it's much easier to use a external util.)

Oh, and when using parted... don't try to ignore the warning to umount the partitions, especially if it's the / partition... (I've gotten away with the others... )
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2003, 03:48 PM
AKA: DarkWulf
Team Role: Webmaster

HFWang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to HFWang Send a message via AIM to HFWang
Oh. I sort of just do hexadecimal translation to color in my head. You can sort of guesstimate the color based on the RGB values, then shift individual values around if you want to get a particular color. It isn't all that useful either. You really need to be able to put that color next to the other colors to see how things match out...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 06:46 PM
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

That is sort of how I do it amd since I don't need to pick colors that often, I reuse a lot, I memorize lots of color's hexidecimal codes.
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: