OCCRA
Go to Post People aren't getting angry at teams who play defense. They are getting angry at the teams who play BattleBots in the middle of a FIRST match. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 05:52 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250
2004 Championship Eligibility Criteria!!!

as posted on FIRST: Championship Eligibility

"2004 Championship Eligibility

Preamble
The Championship Eligibility Process is being updated to better serve the teams participating in the program, and better support the core values of FIRST. The system used for the last two years, although appropriate for that period, could not provide a long term solution that would keep up with growth in the number of teams and Regionals. We were rapidly converging on a situation in which most of the Championship eligibility would be determined in the prior year or at the Regionals and a very large number of teams would be pooled to compete for a very small number of remaining slots. We think the new system will help rationalize the process. Its major features are

-Merit Based qualifying is focused on FIRST core values.
-Outstanding team performance or outstanding robot performance is the ticket. For a rookie team, a balanced combination is the way to qualify.
-Teams' performance in the last season is deemphasized. Last year's Chairman's Award Winners and last year's Champions are, however, still qualified.
-The pool of slots that remain will be allocated with preference to those who have waited longest to attend a Championship.
-In this transition year, qualifications earned by points last year will be honored.

Championship Eligibility Process
FIRST would like to thank all teams for their patience while we evaluated the Championship eligibility criteria for 2004. We worked to create a system that was fair to all teams while rewarding excellence and maintaining the high quality of the Championship. While transitioning to an improved qualifying system, some of the changes are effective for the 2004 season and a few additional changes will be implemented after this season for 2005 and beyond. We look forward to continual input at the forums to help ensure the eligibility criteria address the primary concerns of all teams. As in the prior system there are three ways to qualify.

1. Prequalifying Teams (same as 2003):

-All prior Championship Chairman's Award winners
-Original and sustaining teams from 1992
-2003 Championship "Stack Attack" winners
-2003 Point qualifiers based on the previous 5 point or more system
Note: The existing Point System will be discontinued after the 2004 season.

2. Merit Based Qualifying Teams from the 2004 season:

-Regional Chairman's Award winners (1 per Regional)
-Regional Engineering Inspiration Award winners (1 per Regional)
-Regional Rookie All-Star Award winners (1 per Regional)
-Regional Champions (3 per Regional)

3. Open Registration in the Fall:

For 2004 and beyond, a select number of Championship spots each year will be available for open registration. These slots will be based on the number of years since a team last attended the Championship. All teams will be classified in a Tier (ie. Tier 6 equals six years since attending a Championship or last attended in 1998; Tier 2 equals two years since attending or attended in 2002). If the number of teams in a tier is greater than the number of available slots, FIRST will use a lottery system for teams within each tier to determine eligibility for the remaining open slots. The final determination will be first come/first serve until all available openings are filled. A wait list will be maintained for any openings that become available after the close of registration. Typically 10 to 15 openings occur during the Competition season.

Teams can access the year they last attended the Championship in the Team Information and Management System used for registration. Teams that are qualified to register will have access to Championship registration starting noon Eastern time on October 22, 2003. The year each team last attended the Championship is part of TIMS and your team should verify that information prior to the opening of Championship registration.

This coming year FIRST will change the rookie awards to include a Rookie Inspiration Award for outstanding effort as a FIRST team in community outreach and recruiting students to engineering, a Highest Rookie Seed Award and the Rookie All-Star Award which recognizes overall excellence and success in building a quality robot and a sustainable team of Chairman's Award caliber. This last award will qualify rookies to attend the Championship. As announced on September 26th, rookies will not be eligible for the Chairman's Award since that award recognizes sustained excellence over several years. Rookies are, however, encouraged to develop a Chairman's Award submission which will be used as a criteria to judge the Rookie All-Star Award. This submission will document where your team started its FIRST journey and provide background for documenting the results of your team's efforts. Teams applying for NASA grants should be aware that a copy of this submission must be provided to NASA as part of the grant.

We hope this system encourages all teams to take advantage of the opportunity to attend the Championship at some point in the future. Additional information on the Point System and the Tiered System is available below.

Bob Hammond
Director, Robotics Competition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Point Qualification System
Teams may qualify through performance during the prior year (2003) based on the points earned. Five (5) points are required to register.

a. Championship Event winner 3 points
b. Championship Divisional winner 3 points
c. Regional Event winner 3 points

d. Regional Chairman's Award winner 3 points
e. Championship Event finalist 2 points
f. Championship Divisional finalist 2 points
g. Regional Event finalist 2 points
h. FIRST Judged Award winner at Regional or Championship 2 points

Tiered System
Tier 1 last attended Championship in 2003
Tier 2 last attended Championship in 2002
Tier 3 last attended Championship in 2001
Tier 4 last attended Championship in 2000
Tier 5 last attended Championship in 1999
Tier 6 last attended Championship in 1998 or earlier "

~Mike

-Michael Dessingue

Last edited by dez250 : 10-17-2003 at 05:55 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 06:03 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
What tier are you if your team has never attended the Championship? We are a fourth year team and have never been.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 06:33 PM
GitHubber
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Jeremy_Mc will become famous soon enoughJeremy_Mc will become famous soon enough
i will agree with the above reply, except that if you were a 4th year team, they may judge whether or not you COULD have gone (obviously you could have due to the even/odd system of years past). my question is, what about the even numbered rookie teams from last year? we never even got a "free" chance to goto nat's...

or maybe the system just doesn't make sense to me?

i'm really glad that they implemented something like this...i went to nat's with 442 two years ago and it was packed! i hope this thins things out a bit!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando
Wow. I really like this solution. It makes a lot of sense. However, I feel shot down. All us even teams (my former 1020 and my current 246 for instance) had the conviction that they would have a free ride to the big event, like Jeremy pointed out. I can't help but feel left out, but at least I know that we'll get there in a few years if we don't qualify somehow else.

I can't help but wonder though... Is this a real long term solution? This year's rookie teams will flood in and when they reach the top tier, along with other teams that haven't been in a long time, there will be too many teams and not enough spots for them. Of course, they can just hold them off and have a small group of left out 7th or 8th tier teams that will get peference the next year. However, that fills up a few more spaces making an echo in the system, causing a 9th and 10th and so on. I like this idea, don't get me wrong. But I can't help worrying about the road ahead. Will we be on CD in a 4 or 5 years creating a swarm of discussion about how the system needs to be revised again?

As for the teams that haven't been yet, I'd assume that they just count up years of participation, right? Makes sense to me, but we'll have to have them clarify this for us.
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 07:12 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
What tier are you if your team has never attended the Championship? We are a fourth year team and have never been.
It reads as the last time you attended. It appears that if you have never been, you are Tier 6.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I feel update #1 comming soon.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando
That would be interesting. That would mean then that all rookies get preference? If that's true, I'm amazed and unsure if I'm happy or upset.

BTW, did anyone notice that we've got info about the new game already?

"-Regional Champions (3 per Regional)"

That means we've got an alliance 2x2 game again. I suppose it could be 2x2x2, but like others argued, it's not likely because of the field and such.
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Coach 4026
FRC #4026 (Global Dynamics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Jeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Roberts
I hope thats the case. Our team was Rookie All Star las t year but only managed to get 4 points. If we are only in Tier 2 it might be forever before we get to Nats.. (Yeah I know we could just win and that wouldnt be a problem.)

It would make sense to me that if Rookie All Star is emphasized this coming year it should be made 3 points instead of 2. Sigh.

<edit>
Overall, however, I think that this will be a good system in the long run. Thanks to FIRST for all the time and effort they put in to coming up with the plan.
</edit>
Engineer/Mentor 4026
Former teams: 132, 608, 832, 1002, 1848

Last edited by Jeremy Roberts : 10-17-2003 at 07:37 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610

Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute
What do you think? Is it right that teams that can attend more than 1 regional have a much better chance of attending Championships.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 08:46 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lundy
Either buy something or do it all autonomously.
I had thought of this before but hadn't really looked into it. We may have uncovered something here. Perhaps this year's game will have significantly more autonomous play. C'mon, the new faster more capable, more program space controller, no edu OI system provided. Hrrm, looks suspicious to me.

Perhaps the scoring is not as dependent on driver control, that's why they didn't give any. Hey come to think of it, there are no joysticks being provided either. There mus be more to this than just cutting costs.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!

Last edited by sanddrag : 10-17-2003 at 09:18 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Raul's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Somewhat Useful Person
no team (Formerly - Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Raul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond repute
OK, so if any team that has never gone to a championship is always the highest tier, how could this new system possibly work??
If FIRST grows as they want it to:
1) it won't be long before there are over a thousand teams that have never gone and are all fighting for less than 50 spots
2) the number of regionals will continue to go up and if they take 6 teams from each regional, there will not be many spots left for the tiered teams anyway!

Raul
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
#0115 (MVRT Alumni)

Patrick Wang has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Wang has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Patrick Wang
Rookie Teams

As far as i know, there will only be 26 rookie teams eligible for the Championship Event this year. These 26 teams will be the Rookie-All Stars.

If you are a Rookie team, you at basically at Tier 0.

Basically you don't get a head of the line pass for being a rookie, when you become a rookie you get to stand at the end of the line, and your year counter starts.

It's also good to keep in perspective, just because FIRST is growing doesn't mean every team can afford or want to goto the championship.

With more regional competitions, it may be of more value to a team to do 2 regionals instead of 1 regional and the championship.

Keep in mind that the championship registration did not fill out immediately last year even though hundreds of odd teams qualified.

WRRF
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.
Quote:
Regional Champions (3 per Regional)
Well at least we get a hint that the game will still be 2v2 w/ 3 on an alliance
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 11:11 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky Q.
Well at least we get a hint that the game will still be 2v2 w/ 3 on an alliance
I think thats what they think you will think, therefor you are thinking what they want you to think.

Wetzel
~~~~~
I think.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 11:20 PM
FRC #1002 (The CircuitRunners)

Rookie Year: 2003
Stefan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Stefan
Man... that really would have been nice to have had in place last year. For the reasons skyman has stated....
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Battlecry...Here We Come!
AKA: "The Freshman"
#0263 (sachem aftershock)
Team Role: Operator

computhief263 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to computhief263 Send a message via AIM to computhief263 Send a message via MSN to computhief263 Send a message via Yahoo to computhief263
Question /me confused

Ok, am i the only one a little confused by the "merit based qualifying"?

"Teams that are qualified to register will have access to Championship registration starting noon Eastern time on October 22, 2003" Now does that mean teams that qualify under the "merit based system" qualify by the previous seasons performance?

although it says "Merit Based Qualifying Teams from the 2004 season", how can u qualify from the 2004 season if registration closes before the season even starts

Could someone please clarify this part of the eligibility requirements for me?

Team Electrical/Court Jester

Proud creator of The dongle that nuked the OI, Dj in a bag, and THPD(strobe lights, a hat, a modified flashlight bulb, and a 12v B&D Firestormô flashlight make a good combo!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: