OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST robotics: Not just for nerds. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Re-Doing Our School's Page- Want Input

I am now in charge to re-do our schools web site, so I want to know what you like/don't like about it, what you would do to make it better, and also any comments. Remember, this is the old design, all input will be put into the new one...

http://henrico.k12.va.us/HS/Tucker
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2003, 12:41 PM
GitHubber
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Jeremy_Mc will become famous soon enoughJeremy_Mc will become famous soon enough
I really like the header...but the body part is a bit random. I would suggest leaving the header/menu as it is and working with the rest of the page.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Class of OT9
FRC #0771 (S.W.A.T. (St. Mildred's Women Advancing Technology))
Team Role: Mentor

shyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to shyra1353
wheres the robotics link??

2006: 771 - SWAT - mentor
2007: 912 - Iron Lyons - mentor
if you're going around in circles...then maybe you're cutting corners
aim for the moon and if you miss at least you will land amongst the starts

Email: underscore.asdf@gmail.com
My Website!!
Shirts available for trade: 2005 SWAT 771, 2004 Team 1353, 2003 FIRST Canadian Regional, and 2005 Greater Toronto Regional.
I am also interested in operator/safety captain badges, pins, or any other handouts your team may have given out that you would be willing to mail to Canada.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
It's comming, I'm editing it now, so that'll be up front and center.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2003, 01:44 AM
AKA: DarkWulf
Team Role: Webmaster

HFWang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to HFWang Send a message via AIM to HFWang
tagsoup! don't use tables for layout, fluffy bunnies cry everytime you do that.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2
First let me say it looks great! You asked for input though, so here's my input: It renders ever so slightly funny in mozilla. As far as changing the layout, i would try to find a more effective use of the "GO TIGERS!!" space. Perhaps school news or something.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Webmaster, spamrobotics.com
AKA: Jon
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
robot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to robot180
Like always, I have a bunch of opinions.

First of all, not about the website, I have never had a problem with tables. In fact, it helps to keep things very organized, at least the way I do it. The method you use to code the site is unique to the web designer. Asking for input from users generally refers to how the page runs in a web browser. If they want to use tables and get it to work, that is their choice. If the page doesn't load right, that's a different story.

I think the navigation is pretty good. I easily made my way around the site and found the information I was looking for. (I wasn't looking for anything, but, you know.) A great job was done on the navigation bar, it is interactive yet simple. However, there are a few things that could be done about the home page. First of all, I like to see somewhat of a border around the page. The navigation bar and above doesn't in that case, but the rest of the page contents should have a couple of pixels at least of space seperating it from the side of the page. I like how the page uses basic colors, but has an image that is bright and attractive. I don't like how that image is slightly cut off at the bottom. I would leave the image, but make it smaller to almost fill the same amount of space, but leave some room under it so that you can see the whole thing without scrolling down. The site could use a little more interactive features. Try changing the hyperlink hover color. Leave the navigation bar. If the rest of the page was a bit more interactive, it would seem even more useful and helpful. It looks like something that someone put some work into, not a little kid's webpage or a "computer generated" FLASH website. I don't know if you did use flash, but it doesn't matter.

If you redesign the website, use some ASP or PHP. This will allow you to do more.

Good luck!
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Thanks guys for the input. I didn't create the site as it is now, but I'm going to be re-doing it as part of my Advance Computer Info Systems class. My teacher wants LOADS of new stuff, like a new layout, so if I show her some of these comments, maybe she'll lower her expectation a little.

My main idea for the page would be to consolidate the links and reduce the pages so, like for an example, the student resources page would also be the media center page, etc (and would be called Student & Media Center).

I plan on chaining the main logo and the navigational bar, but not much at all. I'm working on doing some stuff in aqua and brushed metal, but it will still look simple and get the information across. I also plan on making the main page smaller so you can get all your information and links without having to scroll down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: