Go to Post Show me the mentor who has never built a bad robot and I'll show you either a new mentor, a liar, or Andy Baker. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Anyone up for some Hot Coco?
AKA: Vince Moore, or Coco
FRC #0768 (The TechnoWarriors)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Coco the Monkey will become famous soon enoughCoco the Monkey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Coco the Monkey Send a message via MSN to Coco the Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Coco the Monkey
3 words...

"Battle...of...Zion"

I don't know how many of you out there know about Warhammer 40000, but thats what I'd expect a movie about THAT to be like. Jon and I went to see it this morning and as soon as we saw those Mechs we sat there jaws dropped. Absolutely Gorgeous...

10/10 stars

2001-Present: Member/Alumni of team 365 The Miracle Workerz GO MOE!

I'm seeing a pattern in the teams I've been a part of... Gotta love the green

AIM: ArtXCoco
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Just Browsing
AKA: ryan albright
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Ryan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Albright Send a message via AIM to Ryan Albright Send a message via MSN to Ryan Albright Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan Albright
it was horrible and killed the whole triolgy it didnt make sense and everythign was sooo random nothign made sense
2005 Championship Safety advisor
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:51 PM
#0180 (SPAM!)

hixofthehood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hixofthehood
Please, detail these obvious plotholes I keep hearing about all the time.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2003, 05:14 PM
#1067 (SLUH)

Frank(Aflak) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by hixofthehood
Please, detail these obvious plotholes I keep hearing about all the time.
Why don't the machines just load a boot disk, reboot, and reformat, for example? Or pull the plug on all the smith-infected systems, then wipe those, and put in clean programs?

thats one that bothered me, that a program could become a threat to the machine world as a whole, just seems unlikely.

anywho, movie still is awesome.

Just, the imagery in the third is so blatant that it amounts to the Wac. bros. beating you with a baseball bat that has "Jesus" written on it. Even though they are Jewish.
"Relationships are alot like those little packages of condiments you get at fast food resturants -- they're these little magical things that can last forever on a shelf, but once you open them up, they go bad really fast. I just don't understand condiments."

-- Jim, from "Lily & Jim" by Don Hertzfeldt
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang
So... the movie was as much as I could expect. The dialogue was horrible, the action was great but nowhere near exciting as in the first movie when everything was new, and the ending was a little too happy for me. It did hint a sequel though.

As for plot holes, here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

How does the ship 'The Hammer' survive 10 or 15 or 30 minutes of slamming into walls every half second in the tunnels? Why does it not blow up or at least stop functioning?

If the ship's captain is so certain that Bane had something to do with destroying the other ships, then why in the world is he left alone at all times with a much smaller woman? Not a plot hole, really, but just something so stupid...

The humans have ships that can travel at very fast speeds and with great agility and dexterity.. if their technology is so great, why are they freaking using machine guns and bullets which have to be recharged???? Why not lasers?? Why aren't there more EMPs at the home base??

I know that Trinity would be happy to see the real sky, but why was she so surprised? Didn't she get enough of one that was absolutely perfect in the Matrix?

Why does a certain woman not die instantly or nearly instantly after being speared at least 5 times by thick metal rods?

If Agent Smith can replicate himself, then what makes one Smith superior to all the others? It's not explained at all.

Yeah, I'm going to stop and just enjoy what I saw. It was entertaining and kept me in my seats.

And it's made me want to play Mechwarrior.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097

DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL
Listen, if you have a weapon that completely devastates your enemy, are you SERIOUSLY going to put your entire stash of them only on your ships? The Zion scene clearly showed multiple gun turrets on the central tower.... why in the hell did they not put a few EMPs there? "Because if they would, it would criple their defenses!" Well, a turret's not going to be much help if the city is attacked the way it was, so you might as well go for the EMP as a backup. Not to mention if the EMP is such an effective weapon, they would have put all their R&D into it and developed smaller, portable EMPs. Think EMP-grenades that they could have lobbed at the hole to disable the sentinals as they were coming in.

Not to mention the whole attack was terribly planned on the machine's part. If you're attacking a city with lots of bridges/arches/however you want to describe the 'dock', are you seriously going to take out each defender one by one? I'd just bring in a few bombs and bomb the actual arches/bridges and make the poor mech-warriors fall to their doom. If the machines put half as many resources into making bombs as they did into making all those sentinals, they could have carpetbombed Zion oh so bad. If they had brought any of those throwing-bombs they used in Reloaded, those final defenses would have stood no chance (just lob one in, and regardless of the amount of artillery in there, kaboom!)

Of course, the point of the attack was the coolness factor of using a swarm of sentinals that worked together, not to destroy Zion... nevertheless, that's besides the point.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2003, 09:40 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Addressing some plot holes, and assorted comments

I think most people say it sucked because it wasn't as good as 1 or 2. As said, 1 was new and different, 2 was more of an action/kung-fu movie. 3 couldn't decided what it wanted, so it went heavy on the symbolism, or something.

While it wasn't what I expected it to be, it was not a bad movie.

Originally posted by Frank(Aflak)
Quote:
(I'm not that sick, but when the officer told Kid to run out with a cart of ammo in a room swarming with thousands of sentinels . . . my buddies and I burst out laughing. )
If you know any WWII vets who where in the landing boats at Normandy, they can very likely sympathize with the kid.

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank(Aflack) Why don't the machines just load a boot disk, reboot, and reformat, for example? Or pull the plug on all the smith-infected systems, then wipe those, and put in clean programs?
Why don't we just reboot the internet to defeat a particularly nasty worm. Granted the technology is more advanced, but with AI, that may or may not be feasible. Part of the thing of the Matrix is everything is connected.
I know now that some software can in fact destroy hardware. Some recent form of Linux will send a command to a brand of cdroms that will kill the firmware, and then you have a ugly paperweight.

Quote:
Originally posted by monsieurcoffee
I know that Trinity would be happy to see the real sky, but why was she so surprised? Didn't she get enough of one that was absolutely perfect in the Matrix?

Why does a certain woman not die instantly or nearly instantly after being speared at least 5 times by thick metal rods?

If Agent Smith can replicate himself, then what makes one Smith superior to all the others? It's not explained at all.
She knew the Matrix was a fake. You can see a replica of the Constitution, but the real thing will have much more of an impact.

I looked at the placement of the metal rods. (I'm a EMT student, and was curious as to the injury/realness in the movie) and while they did massive trauma, nothing was hit that would kill instantly. What probably killed her was shock(hypovolemic), and the length she was still talking didn't seem odd to me.

The Agent Smith thing has an easy explanation. They are subroutines. He got another one when he 'assimilated' the Oracle, and with Neo. So they are probably just a outspring of his growth.

The tactics and force planning by both sides appears to be full of holes. You would think that computer geeks would spent time playing D&D, and have a better grasp on strategy.

The knuckle sandwich in bullet time was hilarious.

All-in-all, I enjoyed the movie.

Wetzel
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2003, 11:03 AM
5 IA teams, WHOs w/me?
AKA: Seth F.
no team
Team Role: Student

T967 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to T967
Very enjoyable action, I had to remember to breath accouple times. Off subject our theater shows this stupid movie piracy ad before the movie and when the ad said "Stop movie piracy" like 20 people in the theater started saying, "ARRRRR". Oh well, Not the best movie ever but good. I am waiting for the 3rd Lord of the Rings, that will be good.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
misses FIRST
AKA: HOT's first female operator
FRC #0067 (HOT- Heroes of Tomorrow)

Rookie Year: 1998
anna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to anna~marie
i have watched every matrix uncountable times. and this one, im sorry was a dissapointment. dont get me wrong~ it was good and all, but i expected better. arent they suppose to get better as you go along? o well
the very ending ruins the entire thing!! now they NEED a 4th one or i will scream..o wait, i already did.
the entire robots gettin along with humans doesnt do much for me anyway.

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
All I can say is:

"WE'VE GOT INCOMING!"

"INCOMING!"

"MORE INCOMING!"

"GET THIS CLEANED UP! WE'VE GOT INCOMING!"

You thought the whole jesus thing was forced in your face, how about the INCOMING?

-Andy A.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM
#1067 (SLUH)

Frank(Aflak) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy A.
All I can say is:

"WE'VE GOT INCOMING!"

"INCOMING!"

"MORE INCOMING!"

"GET THIS CLEANED UP! WE'VE GOT INCOMING!"

You thought the whole jesus thing was forced in your face, how about the INCOMING?

-Andy A.
I can understand the incoming . . . i mean, there are what, 250K sentinels coming to kill folk in Zion? Of course the have incoming. And what does a soldier do when he spies thousands of enemy coming at him at some incredible speed? Shout incoming. The Incomings were believable, insofar as the hordes of robots attacking the city was believable. And they didn't do it in all seriousness ("We've got incoming!!" "I know we've got incoming, expletive!!!")

and about the whole WWII comparison, Imaybe it does resemble the D-Day invasion, but it is in such a different context that I find any comparison flawed -- the idea is completely different. Its a clash of the titans with little ants running around, not large amounts of men charging other, well entrenched, masses of men. I understand the 'go, go go!' part, but thats where the comparison stops.

Here is why I found it funny:

Giant death robots Vs. Giant death machines controlled by men.

And then a pedestrian with a wheelbarrow.

He was just so out of place . . . . I mean, wouldn't the giant death machines be capable of reloading themselves?

Here is a minor thing that bothered me:

For the amount of parts and metal that goes into making a walking death robot with two machineguns and limited ammo, i bet five or size turrets could be built that carry four maching guns each, and have basically infinite ammo. And they wouldn't have their controllers sitting on the top of them completely unarmoured.

If I were that defense minister guy, i would have invested all my resources in turrets.

And I would have several portable EMP's capable of being carried in, detonated, then another carried in and primed.

I mean, with the EMP, the humans have a resource capable of destroying all of robotity. Just lauch a hypersonic cruise missile with an EMP attached straight at the 01 (for those of you animatrix unitiated, this is the robot city) . . if a big slow ship can reach the city, then a hypersonic missile could do so easily.

Better yet, a barrage of them.
"Relationships are alot like those little packages of condiments you get at fast food resturants -- they're these little magical things that can last forever on a shelf, but once you open them up, they go bad really fast. I just don't understand condiments."

-- Jim, from "Lily & Jim" by Don Hertzfeldt
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2003, 08:27 PM
misses FIRST
AKA: HOT's first female operator
FRC #0067 (HOT- Heroes of Tomorrow)

anna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to anna~marie
Thumbs up

agreed

#28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
.. yeah, but then there'd be no movie, and you'd have nothing to complain about.

[directed at anybody who responded with a 'they shouldve...' scenario.. ]
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:37 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank(Aflak)

and about the whole WWII comparison, Imaybe it does resemble the D-Day invasion, but it is in such a different context that I find any comparison flawed -- the idea is completely different. Its a clash of the titans with little ants running around, not large amounts of men charging other, well entrenched, masses of men. I understand the 'go, go go!' part, but thats where the comparison stops.

Giant death robots Vs. Giant death machines controlled by men.

And then a pedestrian with a wheelbarrow.

He was just so out of place . . . . I mean, wouldn't the giant death machines be capable of reloading themselves?

For the amount of parts and metal that goes into making a walking death robot with two machineguns and limited ammo, i bet five or size turrets could be built that carry four maching guns each, and have basically infinite ammo. And they wouldn't have their controllers sitting on the top of them completely unarmoured.

If I were that defense minister guy, i would have invested all my resources in turrets.
As for giant death machines, how about fortified machine gun emplacements, tanks, naval and air bombardments?

Most of WWII was not entrenched battles, that was WWI. WWII was a much more fluid war with dramatic new results from a different sort of warfare. The blitzkrieg by the Germans subjugated Poland in 18 days, and in a few weeks pushed the French and British back to the beach at Dunkirk. Mobility and adaptability is key in force planning.

The French tried to build a wall (the Maginot Line) to prevent the Germans from invading again. Well, the second time around they made it into Paris. The mobile German army just rolled around the perimeter defense, just as the machines did with the digging rather then through established tunnels.

Putting all your eggs in one basket is rarely a good thing.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you entrench yourself behind strong fortifications, you compel the enemy to seek a solution elsewhere." Clausewitz
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2003, 09:51 AM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Tytus Gerrish
It was Good, Made me Cry

a few thungs i didnt get tho

Thoes AEG walkerd had no armor for the pilot at all, WHO WOULD DESING DUCH A THING?

sentineals flying in A "SANDWORM" formation = wikid awesome

Neo loses sight and sees without eyes= Yet another ripoff of DUNE

smith Vs. Neo fight = Trying to hard to impress us, it was kinda pointless

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: