OCCRA
Go to Post Does this mean the end of "Spin Around/Dance" autonomous modes? - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2003, 03:14 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
White Paper Discuss: Standard Drive Photos

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in the White Papers.

Standard Drive Photos by Sachiel7
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2003, 03:18 PM
It's a Bird
AKA: BoogyShoes
FRC #1492 (Team Caution)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Eric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Eric Bareiss
In these pics, you have the left and right wheels running on the same axle. If the two wheels were connected they would have to be spinning in the same direction, which would make it impossible to turn.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2003, 03:43 PM
its spelled *ya'll*, not *y'all*
AKA: Roger Riquelme
FRC #3259 (Thoroughbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
RogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RogerR Send a message via MSN to RogerR
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Bareiss
In these pics, you have the left and right wheels running on the same axle. If the two wheels were connected they would have to be spinning in the same direction, which would make it impossible to turn.
i believe that he has bearings in the wheel, and the sprockets are bolted on to the wheel.

"But to say that the race is a metaphor for life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is a metaphor for the race." -- Donald Antrim
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2003, 05:12 PM
It's a Bird
AKA: BoogyShoes
FRC #1492 (Team Caution)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Eric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Eric Bareiss
Ok I can see that, but then why is is the axle in a bearing? Either way, you don't need an axle running the length of the robot. Its just wasted weight, and space.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2003, 06:08 PM
its spelled *ya'll*, not *y'all*
AKA: Roger Riquelme
FRC #3259 (Thoroughbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
RogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RogerR Send a message via MSN to RogerR
Quote:
Ok I can see that, but then why is is the axle in a bearing?
i'm not sure why for that one.

Quote:
Either way, you don't need an axle running the length of the robot. Its just wasted weight, and space.
there are two possible reasons that i can see for this:
1) there is no frame outside of the wheels, so if you used two independant axles, they would only be supported at one point, and the wheels (and more importantly, the sprockets) would be more vulnerable to becoming misaligned.
2) in addition to this, if the axles are beefy enough, they could be used to reinforce the chasis of the robot.

"But to say that the race is a metaphor for life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is a metaphor for the race." -- Donald Antrim
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2003, 07:00 PM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7
Yes, the wheels are on bearings, and the sprockets are mounted onto them. I have had sooooooooo many people skip this possibility and post "it can't turn" it's not funny. So don't worry, your'e definitely not the first .
The axles run through the chassis for reinforcement, and yes there is no frame beyond the wheels (unless you count a plexi-cover a barrier ). The bearings both bolt the frame together (they're 4-bolt flange bearings) and support all the drive axles. In pic 2( I think) there is a closeup of one corner of the frame. (BTW, the bars are 1" aluminum bar extrusion (hollow)) There are 2 pieces of angle holding the edges together. The inside is 1.5x1.5" and the outside is 2.5x2.5" (The extra inch is for the length of the chassis bars).
A bolt runs through each bar from one angle to the next, and a large bolt goes down from the top of the corner through all 4 to the base. This alone in every corner wouln't hold the frame too well, it would hold, but the frame would probably begin to get bent, or fall apart after a while.
So, I added the flanged bearings to bolt the top and bottom sidebars together. This helps (along with the axles) to reinforce and keep it held together properly.
It sounds like we are planning on using this design next year (04), instead of the MultiDrive I designed.
This system actually worked great last year. While our frame was different, the drive setup was 80% the same. We were the fastest at our regional, and we had no problems winning a pushing bout.
The idea was to come up with an improvement to last year's design. A slightly lighter yet stronger frame, easier construction, cheaper cost, etc. I think I've captured all of that.
It was also necessary that it would require less modifying of parts, and more putting things together, thus more of an emphasis on bolting than cutting pieces, etc.
We (in all confidence) also have boldly claimed that we can build it and have it running in one day. I think we can accomplish this goal.
We're taking advantage of pre-design here. Coming up with things that can be designed pre-season and going through them.
At our December meeting (not too long from now) we plan to have a vote for our drive system. It's NOT a definite vote, the vote is "we'll use this unless there's a good reason not to". That way, we can have our drive/chassis defined the day of kickoff, and order the parts. Within the first week, we'll have a driving chassis complete, with 5 weeks to go. I've only heard of a few cases of that occurring. And, it helps.
Anyway....This was just an example for people to show their new folks an example of a not too complicated drive. Hope It helps.

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: