Go to Post These teams aren't elitists, but they sure are elite. - Andrew Lawrence [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: How was your overall score on the PSAT?
< 150 1 3.13%
150-159 0 0%
160-169 2 6.25%
170-179 2 6.25%
180-189 2 6.25%
190-199 2 6.25%
200-209 3 9.38%
210-219 7 21.88%
220-229 6 18.75%
230-240 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang
PSATs Back

So we got our PSATs back at our school... the percentages look aright. I was wondering how other people did overall?

Also, was it me or was the math curve steep?

Last edited by Yan Wang : 12-15-2003 at 06:17 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PSATs Back

I havn't gotten mine back. I'm guessing I got around a 4....
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Slightly Rehabilitated
AKA: Larry Wang
#0840 (Aragon Robotics Team)

Rookie Year: 2002
srjjs will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to srjjs

Impressive score distribution. Either FIRST really does make people smarter or the people with lower scores are not as willing to respond.

RIP Andrew Dang
3/22/2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2003, 09:13 PM
#Don'tBooTheRefs
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

I did fine on the 2 sections that count - English and Math.
Writing Skills is just a push over and doesn't even really mean anything.
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 01:52 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

Rookie Year: 2003
IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

I got a 224. I'm proud of myself.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
#Don'tBooTheRefs

Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute

So.. therefore there should be a lot of National Merit Scholars here by the look of the poll..
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 03:06 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

Rookie Year: 2003
IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dognaux
So.. therefore there should be a lot of National Merit Scholars here by the look of the poll..
Speaking of that...does anyone know what the threshold is for being a NMS?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 03:16 PM
I like my hammer...
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Melissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Melissa Nute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDWalrus
Speaking of that...does anyone know what the threshold is for being a NMS?
It varies by state.

For florida this years cut off was a 214. I'm currently a Semi-Finalist this year and I shall know about my Finalist status come Feb.

You will not know the cut off for NMS until about August of your senior year though
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Duct Tape King
#0180 (S.P.A.M.)
Team Role: Driver

Blacknight will become famous soon enoughBlacknight will become famous soon enough

according to the psat, i can't proofread
but i scored well in math tho, which helped me alot

sn-TheGreatestKahn

Are there indelible lines that divide sanity from insanity, or do the overcross at the slightest change in the world...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Ithaca is Gorges

Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dognaux
I did fine on the 2 sections that count - English and Math.
Writing Skills is just a push over and doesn't even really mean anything.
Sry, but I disagree with your last sentence. I think the Writing section and Writing SAT II has much more importance than the Verbal SAT I... in fact, the collegeboard recognizes this and it is the reason why they are putting more practical things other than analogies into the SAT I Verbal next year. The skills tested in the writing seem much more practical and useful than knowing relationships between obscure vocabulary words and ambiguously-phrased critical reading questions.

Math counts though
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097
Team Role: Mentor

DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurcoffee
Also, was it me or was the math curve steep?
Not really on the topic of the PSATs, but the curve on the Math IIC in October was so steep it was ridiculous. My 760 only earned me an 80th percentile. Similarly, on physics, my 730 was only a 75th percentile. Overall, it seems SATII's have much steeper curves than SATI's.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Yay! Custom title!
None #0180 (SPAM)

Rookie Year: 2002
IsabelRinging is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli W.
It varies by state.

For florida this years cut off was a 214. I'm currently a Semi-Finalist this year and I shall know about my Finalist status come Feb.

You will not know the cut off for NMS until about August of your senior year though
Seriously? The scores must have been really high for a cutoff like that.

I'm one of eight (predicted) semifinalists in our class. Wee.
  • 2003 Robot Rodeo champions (Thanks to 108 and 186)
"In addition to the cut of your gib, I likes the sound of your town."
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Ithaca is Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDanman
Not really on the topic of the PSATs, but the curve on the Math IIC in October was so steep it was ridiculous. My 760 only earned me an 80th percentile. Similarly, on physics, my 730 was only a 75th percentile. Overall, it seems SATII's have much steeper curves than SATI's.
Well, when I speak of curves, I mean (as is usual) the point curve. I got 2 problems wrong on the PSAT Math and had a 73/80. Yes, that's 3.5 pts off per problem for the first 2 at least.

Percentile wise, the SAT IIs are steep because they are the most competitive tests since the more academically motivated people take them. The steepest tests within the SAT IIs are the language tests since the native speakers do really, really well... as in, nothing wrong :/
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 06:45 PM
FRC #4707 (Mentor FRC#4707 Alumni FRC#710)
Team Role: Mentor

abeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to behold

our school stresses this psat too much

probably why we had 32 national merit semi-finalists in my 2004 class (tihs is pretty crazy considering we only have about 190 students in my class)

Last edited by abeD : 12-16-2003 at 06:48 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2003, 06:52 PM
#Don'tBooTheRefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurcoffee
Sry, but I disagree with your last sentence. I think the Writing section and Writing SAT II has much more importance than the Verbal SAT I... in fact, the collegeboard recognizes this and it is the reason why they are putting more practical things other than analogies into the SAT I Verbal next year. The skills tested in the writing seem much more practical and useful than knowing relationships between obscure vocabulary words and ambiguously-phrased critical reading questions.

Math counts though
Alright, maybe I came off sounding too harsh about the last section... but really, at the moment there is no Writing Skills section on the SATI, and students really aren't required to take the SATII... so, in my opinion, the Verbal and Math sections are much more important than that last section.
Rumor has it though that the SATI may soon include a writing section on it, and that it may be scored out of 2400.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I kinda blew off that last section though...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: