OCCRA
Go to Post I'm not gonna reinvent the wheel cause I can already buy it :) - Stephen Kowski [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus
Robotics: The Blog

Having both an excess amount of time and webspace, I decided to do something about it. Thus was born...

RoboBlog

If it wasn't obvious enough, this is a site I'm planning on using to write about my FIRST Robotics experiences. I figured this might be of interest to some of you, so I've decided to share.

Why did I do this? I just like to write, and I've been told fairly often that I'm good at it. I'm not sure I'd agree, and looking at my CD posts I can see how you'd all side with me. In any case, this is your chance to judge. By the way...I tend to ramble a lot. See the last three sentences for an example.

I apologize for the color scheme (it's a Blogger template), but it's most likely a temporary one.

I'm not sure how often I'll update this, or even if there will be any interest outside of 818. It's there, though, and I'll do my best to make it interesting.

I'll take any suggestions, comments, what have you that anyone wants to offer me.

If you do get around to reading the site...thanks. I appreciate it.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2
Re: Robotics: The Blog

Interesting actually.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang

I like to think of CD as everyone's blog.

It's certainly useful for getting out your ideas and getting responses quickly.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2004, 04:26 PM
This Space For Sale
AKA: Anthony Mangia
#1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Scout

Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Aignam Send a message via Yahoo to Aignam

Someone, or some team, should start an official FIRST weblog site, offering templates, hosting, and a small bit of webspace. What in return? You can work out a user agreement such that you can quote anything the webloggers should write and use it for team purposes, i.e. promotional videos, chairman's award entries, etc.

Aignam. Pronounced A-Num. Mangia backwards.

NJFIRST.org | Best Thread. Ever.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2004, 05:14 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus
Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aignam
Someone, or some team, should start an official FIRST weblog site, offering templates, hosting, and a small bit of webspace. What in return? You can work out a user agreement such that you can quote anything the webloggers should write and use it for team purposes, i.e. promotional videos, chairman's award entries, etc.
If only 818 had some more money...I'd love to set something like that up, but I don't think it would work out for us at the moment. Maybe next year...

The team would definitely have to reserve the right to terminate accounts for any reason...most importantly, if one of the blog writers begins using their site to attack others or the FIRST program, even if it is only verbally.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2004, 06:38 PM
This Space For Sale

Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Re: Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDWalrus
If only 818 had some more money...I'd love to set something like that up, but I don't think it would work out for us at the moment. Maybe next year...

The team would definitely have to reserve the right to terminate accounts for any reason...most importantly, if one of the blog writers begins using their site to attack others or the FIRST program, even if it is only verbally.
Of course, though, from what I've seen of the FIRST community, and how well-moderated and successful sites like ChiefDelphi are, it shouldn't be all that hard to do. Time-consuming. Yes. Money-consuming. Certainly. But the idea itself is a possibility.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick
Re: Mrs

well, your idea doesn't necessarily have to be that of ONE member. it could be a collaboration of teams and/or people. for example, myself or anthony could design templates while other members maintain the structure. things like paid accounts could be offered to do things like store images or perhaps buying icon space (much like livejournal). but all in all i think that'd be a great idea, and it would help bring the FIRST community closer together.

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 10:05 PM
&quot;flock their sheep&quot;
AKA: Jeffrey Li
FRC #2505 (The Electric Sheep) & FRC #0188 (Blizzard)
Team Role: Coach

J Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to J Flex 188 Send a message via AIM to J Flex 188

thats actually a pretty great idea, and im surprised i havent seen it in other forms or anywhere else. of course that can only mean one thing, that by the time people come back from building everynight, they struggle to finish their homework and then stumble to bed without a glance at the computer

'course we all know that doenst happen

Woburn Robotics, Class of 2005.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:14 PM
This Space For Sale

home...what?

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:41 PM
synOrange
#0843 (White Oaks Wildcats)
Team Role: Programmer

ahmed is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ahmed Send a message via MSN to ahmed Send a message via Yahoo to ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aignam
You guys know how Macromedia runs the MM Blog Aggregator at markme.com? We could have a similar thing going for all FIRST-themed blogs.

I have written a PHP/mySQL blog software, it's pretty customizable, and I'll be working on a second, better version soon. A friend of mine based his site around it, can be seen at xxviiinet. I'd gladly give out the software if anyone wants it, it's lightweight and installing/maintaining it is much easier than major software like MovableType. About providing the webspace thing, I'll look into that too, I guess I could handle that as well

But then again, as monsieurcoffee, these forums really are a better idea than having multiple blogs running around with stuff shattered all over the place..

oh well, you people let me know if you're interested..
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Umm Errr...

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed
But then again, as monsieurcoffee, these forums really are a better idea than having multiple blogs running around with stuff shattered all over the place..
We need something like a blog portal, with links to everyones "subblogs" and a latest entries etc.

If i weren't so overloaded already i would definately work on this.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:48 PM
synOrange
#0843 (White Oaks Wildcats)
Team Role: Programmer

ahmed is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ahmed Send a message via MSN to ahmed Send a message via Yahoo to ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
We need something like a blog portal, with links to everyones "subblogs" and a latest entries etc.

If i weren't so overloaded already i would definately work on this.
yeah, that's basically what the MM Blog Aggregator is about, that's why i brought it up in first place
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Umm Errr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed
yeah, that's basically what the MM Blog Aggregator is about, that's why i brought it up in first place
Alrighty hook us up then.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2004, 12:02 AM
AKA: Paul Luffel
FRC #1127 (Lotus Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

pauluffel is a jewel in the roughpauluffel is a jewel in the roughpauluffel is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to pauluffel
Robotics: The Blog

Eleven-TwentySeven might be able to give some hosting space and we've just started working on our site, so it could be built into the site fairly well. One of our members has won some awards for his site design, so I'll volunteer him to be in charge of it.

Along with private blogs like Paul's, I'd be interested in team blogs where multiple members of the same team would be allowed to post (or there would be a team account from which any member of the team could contribute) so teams could share anecdotes and experiences throughout the season in a media a little less formal than a thread on ChiefDelphi, but still publically accesable and communal.

Any services or ideas anyone can contribute? (or privately at paul@luffel.org)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2004, 12:06 AM
This Space For Sale

I was thinking more along the lines of a FIRST Blog Service, much like Livejournal or Diaryland, not so much a Blog portal. Though a costly and difficult task, it would be infinitely more useful than a blog portal. Imagine the possibilites. Everyone in FIRST has a place to share their ideas for free. What I envision, though I'm not entirely certain if this could be done, is a quick way to quote a section of an entry in a ChiefDelphi post. Like HyperRules. But...not. ::cough:: Sorry that I'm so elaborate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: