OCCRA
Go to Post Being involved with FIRST is a privilege, not a right. - Katie Reynolds [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: The manual will be cracked in...?
A few Minutes. 10 7.58%
A few hours. 24 18.18%
Never. 41 31.06%
FIRSTers have to high a moral ground and will wait until Saturday (where's the fun in that!!) 57 43.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Never Forget FIRST 1992-2000
FRC #0146 (Blue Lightning)

Rookie Year: 1996
Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Justin
The Manuall will be cracked in...

So by now some of you have no doubt heard that the manual will be avalible Thursday Night on the First site in Encrypted form. (RC-128) Here is my question how long will it take for some industrious FIRSTers to break into it?? ;-) I could probable secure a beowulf cluster for the effort.
Robots: Hexcalibur (96), Blue Dragon (97), El-e-Vador (98), Astrobot 2000 (99), Last Chance (2000)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:09 AM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Manuall will be cracked in...

wouldnt it be great if the manual was encoded in such a way that, there were more than one keys that would give you readable output

bot only one would give you the correct output

so a team might hack the manual and THINK they can read it - but what they are reading is all wrong?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:28 AM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
wouldnt it be great if the manual was encoded in such a way that, there were more than one keys that would give you readable output

bot only one would give you the correct output

so a team might hack the manual and THINK they can read it - but what they are reading is all wrong?
B-E-A-utiful !

But I am wondering why only 8 of 12 sections are being released. If there is a security concern then why release anything? Otherwise why not release it all ? Also, the timing stinks - I will be traveling to KO on Thursday evening, as I suspect most of the other attendees will also. Anyone know if SNHU has a wireless network?
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:31 AM
AKA: Garver
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1998
Mark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Mark Garver

I think the reason for only having 8 of 12 sections on Thursday is because what is the purpose of encoding parts of the manual that are not relavent at all to the game this year. Meaning the part for scholarships and such. Just a guess here, as is everything else at this point...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:37 AM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)

Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Garver
... what is the purpose of encoding parts of the manual that are not relavent at all to the game this year...
I never thought of that ... good point!

That actually makes sense - which is why it probably is NOT the "right" answer ... (sorry I've been around big business too long)
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Founder 830/1015;Mentor 66/470/1502
FRC #0470 (Alpha Omega Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1994
kmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, It should not be released until no more than 24 hours before the contest start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
wouldnt it be great if the manual was encoded in such a way that, there were more than one keys that would give you readable output [but] only one would give you the correct output
LOL! Funny idea!

Gee... IMHO, this close to the contest it really doesn't matter. Even if someone DID crack it, you can't do much with only an extra 24 hours of "advance notice", and most people (at least those of us with a life!) wish to go out and have a nice Friday night!

Seriously though, any password will either generate garbage, or the real output. But it IS true that many DIFFERENT combinations of characters CAN potentially unlock it, and most analysis software simply generates the very first key it finds that does the job. Therefore, if someone DOES manage to open it that way, go ahead and PROVE you did it (AFTER the manual has been officially released) by posting an ALTERNATIVE key to unlock it. That would be a good wakeup call. BTW, commercial services charge big bucks and may take up to 25-30 days to return your opened PDF file, so if you want to wait until the middle of the build for it, go ahead!

Personally, I think it's a tactical mistake to release the manual over one day in advance. After all, you've sponsors from EVERY industry, and many have some SERIOUS supercomputers at their disposal for things like finite element analysis work. For example, I used to work in the building at an automotive supplier, with an ARRAY of supercomputers at my disposal for just that. I don't THINK they had "forgotten password" software loaded on it, but I never checked. There ARE legit uses for that, such as opening vital internal company documents to keep your own business in operation when an employee quits or suddenly dies. Given the right sponsor in the right position with the right computers at their disposal, it may be able to be opened VERY quickly. Therefore, if *I* were in FIRST's position, I'd simply make it a policy of releasing the encoded version no more than 24 hours before the true unveiling.

- Keith
"Certifiably Insane": Started FIVE FRC teams & many robot clubs (so far)!
2002: 830 "Rat Pack" | 2003-5;14: 1015;1076 "Pi Hi Samurai" | 2005-6: 1549 "Washtenuts"/"Fire Traxx"
2005-(on): 1502 "Technical Difficulties" | 2006-(on): FIRST Volunteer!
2009-(on): 470 "Alpha Omega" | WAFL | Sponsor & "Floating Engineer" for MI Dist 13 (Washtenaw Cnty)
2011: 3638 "Tigertrons" | 2013-(on): 4395 "ViBots" | 2014-(on) 66 "Grizzlies"
"Home" Teams: 66, 470, 1076, 1502, 4395
Local FIRST alumni at or coming to Ann Arbor (UM/EMU/WCC/Cleary)?
...We Want YOU as a Mentor! Please email me for info!
Support CDF Reputation - If a posting helped, thank 'em with rep points!
"It must be FRC build season when your spouse and children become 'Action Items 8 & 9'..."
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:29 AM
BSEE, MSEE, JD in progress
AKA: employed
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Stephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Kowski Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen Kowski

frankly i haven't seen any cracker that can get through 128 bit encryption (most are 40 bit) plus it would take a few days (most likely more than the two days we will get) to brute force crack the documents anyways (unless you have some server farm working together), either way it is probably just easier to wait.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute

Recently, FIRST was gettting a little upset about some of the activity on these boards, such as people trying to circumvent the rules.

There's nothing worse than when you try to help someone out and they take advantage of you. Along those lines, how about we not try and crack the manual and keep FIRST happy with all of us so they continue to do nice things for us in the future?

-Chris

Last edited by Chris Hibner : 01-07-2004 at 01:16 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:54 AM
GitHubber
no team

Jeremy_Mc will become famous soon enoughJeremy_Mc will become famous soon enough

Not that I would be stupid enough to do it, but with a P4 it would take about a week to crack a 4 character password, somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 weeks to crack a 5 character password, and it just gets incredibly large after that. Employing a "supercomputer" really won't help because anything that could crack that fast enough probably isn't running Windows which is what most "password recovery" programs run on.

It's pointless...just wait a day.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_Mc
Not that I would be stupid enough to do it, but with a P4 it would take about a week to crack a 4 character password, somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 weeks to crack a 5 character password, and it just gets incredibly large after that. Employing a "supercomputer" really won't help because anything that could crack that fast enough probably isn't running Windows which is what most "password recovery" programs run on.

It's pointless...just wait a day.
Exactly. Plus - what is the REAL advantage? When you find out - it's not like you can call your whole team togther. I say just wait the day - and just be shocked and have fun like the rest of us will!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 12:18 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: The Manuall will be cracked in...

the only reason they are releasing the encrypted files early is so their server is not swamped at 10:01AM on saturday

950+ teams all trying to download 10 or 20MBytes of files at the same time

actually I dont need the manual for the first couple days anyway - our team will spend the first meeting or two analysizing the game, how you score points, to determine what our robot needs to do to score the most points under the worst case conditions

all we need for that is the description of the game, and how to calculate the score at the end.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 04:21 PM
#0217 (ThunderChickens)

swando is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to swando

sure it could be cracked (in more than a few days with a supercomputer.), but so what? a 2 day advance on the rules? you still havent seen the game played, so you'll be confused as heck, and whats a 2 day gain on strategy? not much.
not to mention its not in the spirit of FIRST to get an unfair advantage on the rules.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 04:26 PM
AKA: Katie Woodside
#0476 (Adidar)
Team Role: Student

khwoodside is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to khwoodside Send a message via MSN to khwoodside Send a message via Yahoo to khwoodside

its a short term encoding used by the goverment at one point in the past... of course it can be cracked, but unless you have 72hrs straight free time... doubt you're gonna crack it before saturday
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 04:29 PM
no team

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
So by now some of you have no doubt heard that the manual will be avalible Thursday Night on the First site in Encrypted form. (RC-128) Here is my question how long will it take for some industrious FIRSTers to break into it?? ;-) I could probable secure a beowulf cluster for the effort.
I'm not trying to be a butt or anything, but isn't this thread against forum rules?

Quote:
By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, racist, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. THIS INCLUDES THE DISCUSSION OF WAREZ, FILE-SHARING PROGRAMS, CRACKING, AND ANY OTHER WAY OF STEALING SOFTWARE OR ANY OTHER COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. You also agree not to post the same message in multiple forums, or use the forums as a real-time chat, continuing a 2-3 person conversation on for numerious posts in a short period of time.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2004, 04:32 PM
#0217 (ThunderChickens)

swando is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to swando

[quote=Clark Gilbert]I'm not trying to be a butt or anything, but isn't this thread against forum rules?[quote]
eh i would say technically yes, but in reality no. i doubt it would be illegal to crack the manual password, this is more of an intellectual challenge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: