OCCRA
Go to Post The top 3 debates you don't want to bring up in a group of nerds: Mac vs PC vs Linux, Best Programming Language, and Best CAD Program. - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Lego League
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:41 PM
I am somebody now!
#0481 (De Anza Robotics Team)

Eric Reed will become famous soon enoughEric Reed will become famous soon enough
The end of mindstorms - no smiley face sad enough

If you look up mindstorms news on yahoo or google, you will find seven stories in the past six weeks about young kids getting excited about space, science, robots and other technology through lego robotics. I personally think the FLL program is the best thing that ever happened to many kids. I was very saddened to read this other bit of news today:

Yahoo news

Since it reported its first loss of $47.8 million in 1998, Lego has been hit hard by increasing competition from the makers of electronic toys.

Under Plougmann, the company reacted by expanding its electronic offerings, including making high-profile deals to use characters from Disney, the Star Wars films and Harry Potter (news - web sites) books in its toys.

It also developed popular CD-ROM games and its lauded Mindstorms series, high-tech robots that are made of building blocks but can be controlled by personal computers.

As a result, sales rose but profits stagnated because of the higher cost of producing the new products.

The company now plans to stop making the electronics and movie tie-in products and return to its core mission: producing colored plastic building blocks for children.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:51 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus
Re: The end of mindstorms - no smiley face sad enough

The obvious question now at hand: what does this mean for the Lego League teams? Will there BE a Lego League at this time next year? I guess it's possible that Lego might continue the FLL program in some way, but since they're completely eliminating the Mindstorms line, I don't really see this happening.

This is awful...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:56 PM
I am somebody now!
#0481 (De Anza Robotics Team)

Eric Reed will become famous soon enoughEric Reed will become famous soon enough

There has been talk for a couple of years about the demise of Mindstorms; beginning with the closing of their headquarters here in the SF Bay Area. At the time the scuttle was that Pitsco would maintain the line for educational use, but I really don't see that happenning and there is no indication of that in yesterday's articles. I hope FLL will be able to find a new platform...preferably one that starts with the letter 'L' (a bit of gallows humor there).

Eric.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Its been awhile.....
FRC #0237 (Black Magic Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Ted Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeTed Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

This is a horrible. If they created a new mindstorms program, sales would of took off again.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
There has been talk for a couple of years about the demise of Mindstorms; beginning with the closing of their headquarters here in the SF Bay Area. At the time the scuttle was that Pitsco would maintain the line for educational use, but I really don't see that happenning and there is no indication of that in yesterday's articles. I hope FLL will be able to find a new platform...preferably one that starts with the letter 'L' (a bit of gallows humor there).
I have seen more and more educational robots pop up that offer the same capibilites as mindstorms and then some. It really just involves some research. Even First can probably create something better.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:14 PM
It's a SPAM thing...
AKA: George1083; George180
FRC #0180 (SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
George1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Y.
Even First can probably create something better.
Is the Edubot too high level for middle school kids? Would that make an adequate substitute?

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-- Mahatma Gandhi
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:29 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1083
Is the Edubot too high level for middle school kids? Would that make an adequate substitute?
One of the biggest catches might be a 5th grader being inable to program an Edubot.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:38 PM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2001
Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Tytus Gerrish

DUDE this IS HOrible

Ok everybody Go out right now and buy a mindstorms kit so legos sals will go up and they will be continualy produced

Err Im Being Crazy Probaly because kickoff is tomarro ERR!
I want my legos i want the kids to have legos i woant more ppl to have legos
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

http://www.robotstore.com/catalog_re...andar_AS-M.pdf
I doubt the edurobot would be easy enough to program. I believe that something like the above would work. It would provide click and drop programing while providing high level functions.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

kevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit

This is really sad, you can do alot of cool stuff with the mindstorms. It's easy enough to pick up and younger kids seem to find it more interesting. I've seen a lot of cool stuff done with those mindstorms. I hope some makes a suitable replacement.

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2004, 10:08 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they could use something like the Parallax BOE Bot. And maybe someone could develop a GUI programming interface. But I guess that platform is not as easily customizable as the legos are.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2004, 09:35 AM
FRC #0501 (FCI-Power Knights)

Jillian B. has a spectacular aura aboutJillian B. has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Jillian B.
Unhappy Re: The end of mindstorms - no smiley face sad enough

NOOOOOO! That can't happen. Mindstorms are so cool, and the things the kids have learned from them are incredible. Argh... I want my legos.

I'm guessing FIRST will be able to find something else. Or at least I hope so.

-Jill
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Code Monkey
#0861 (The Gondobots)
Team Role: Programmer

Noah has a spectacular aura aboutNoah has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Noah

Maybe if they use PBASIC edubots... I could have programmed that in sixth grade.

"We can fix it in the software!"
"It's a BROKEN GEAR!"
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2004, 03:28 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing FIRST is unsure or oblivious to what is going on with FLL and Lego Corp. They seemed to discuss FLL enough during kick-off and acted as if no change in the partnership was occuring.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2004, 05:54 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Weed
I'm guessing FIRST is unsure or oblivious to what is going on with FLL and Lego Corp. They seemed to discuss FLL enough during kick-off and acted as if no change in the partnership was occuring.
Maybe they just chose not to acknowledge the situation until they know how it's going to turn out. They can't really say that FLL is dead until they're positive that Lego's commitment to the program is over and that there are no other alternatives.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: