OCCRA
Go to Post I believe that those who have a clear understanding of their capabilities, both physical and financial, and design and build within those capabilities are the teams that succeed. - Daniel_LaFleur [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Battlecry...Here We Come!
AKA: "The Freshman"
#0263 (sachem aftershock)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2002
computhief263 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to computhief263 Send a message via AIM to computhief263 Send a message via MSN to computhief263 Send a message via Yahoo to computhief263
A question about control system options

Ok i was jus looking through the control system section of robot rules looking for a answer to this question:

Now i know first gives joysticks ( at least according to my understanding, pg 7 of "kit of parts" red container 3rd item down. correct if im mistaken)
Back to my question, can we choose to use something else as a controller?...other then a basic joystick?

it doesnt say anything in the rules against it (not that ive seen)

any input or direction as to where i can find a answer to my question would be helpful

Team Electrical/Court Jester

Proud creator of The dongle that nuked the OI, Dj in a bag, and THPD(strobe lights, a hat, a modified flashlight bulb, and a 12v B&D Firestormô flashlight make a good combo!)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri
Re: A question about control system options

i think it needs to be a joystick that uses the old game port standard.. but if u can find something else it probably wouldnt be a problem cuz i mean its not giving u an advantage or anything...its still using the same technology to comunicate

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Battlecry...Here We Come!
AKA: "The Freshman"
#0263 (sachem aftershock)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2002
computhief263 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to computhief263 Send a message via AIM to computhief263 Send a message via MSN to computhief263 Send a message via Yahoo to computhief263

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMMan b182
i think it needs to be a joystick that uses the old game port standard.. but if u can find something else it probably wouldnt be a problem cuz i mean its not giving u an advantage or anything...its still using the same technology to comunicate
Ill probably have to do some rewireing on the system i want to use as of now, and the fact that its has to hook up to a db-15 isnt a problem, i can convert it to fit. And its still going to be sending a anolog signal to the OI. SO...

I just need to kno wuts legal before i begin work on it.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Volunteer for hire
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Aaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can use a diffrent controler, remember the team that use the custom made glove controls that had pots on the wrist of the driver? My team is actually working on figuring out the pin outs for a playstation controler so we can use that and have all the extra room to move around with the big cord. You need to figure out the pin outs so you can cut off the regular playstation plug in, and splice a standard Db-15 in to the wiring.
Field Reset Extraordinaire
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Aren't playstation controllers digital and thus not able to communicate with the ifi control system?
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 10:47 PM
AKA: Alum
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
KevinB will become famous soon enoughKevinB will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KevinB

To the best of my knowledge, its even legal to put a processor between the Playstation controller and the OI to convert whatever signal the controller puts out to the format the OI requires.

I've always understood that the only real requirement is that the dashboard's output cannot tie into another input somehow (ie. both the dashboard output port and an input port running into a computer.)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:05 AM
fhqwhgads
AKA: Kyle
#0869 (Power Cord)
Team Role: College Student

Ragin_Kage is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ragin_Kage

Two years ago we messed around with a computer video game controller, pretty standard pin out etc... never got anything working so we scrapped it and went to the no frills joysticks...in the end it worked pretty good...even tho having some PS2 controllers would be pretty cool, i loved messing around with that stuff and building control panels, so good luck to the innovators

www.powercord869.com
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2004, 01:46 PM
#0677 (The WireStrippers)

batbotcrewfrosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to batbotcrewfrosh

Someone used a DDR step pad once ^_^
So juicy SWEET!

Build F.I.R.S.T, Sleep Later

Team #677
Sophomore (the Frosh thing is a bit of a lasting fad... O_o; )
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: