OCCRA
Go to Post Theory is a nice place, I'd like to go there one day. - JamesCH95 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
FOCUS Integration, LLC - Owner
AKA: Brian Roberts
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
NoRemorse has a spectacular aura aboutNoRemorse has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to NoRemorse Send a message via MSN to NoRemorse
Vacuum

Ok, I was wondering if it was legal to use a venturi style vacuum genorator. Its just a little box then when positve air pressure is blown over it, it creats negative air ressure at the other end. Probably wont use it anyhow, but it is somthing we are looking into and would like to know the legality of!

http://LSJBuildUp.com -Documenting the build of my LSJ, as well as other influential cars.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Robotics and Field Hockey
AKA: Jesse C. Owens
#0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Skabana159 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Skabana159
Re: Vacuum

If you can make one with off-the-shelf parts, or ones that you have machined, and only motors from the kit, then yes, it would be legal.
However, if there was any motive force, in say the fan/blower, it would be an illiegal motor.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:27 PM

What if it IS an off the shelf part all together

http://LSJBuildUp.com -Documenting the build of my LSJ, as well as other influential cars.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:37 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

you could probabally do what you are talking about, but I dont think it will create much vacuum.

in the past teams have used a pair of pnuematic cylinders to create vacuum. have a pressurized cylinder pump a second one to draw a vaccum at one end.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Well, 2 points

Vanturi style is what they do in industry and create MUCH more vacuum, i just got home from prototyping

We were planning on using the cylenders, even thogh they create less vacuum, they reqire a NON-continuous flow

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Team 759 president
#0759 (Team Systemetric)

BananaMango777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to BananaMango777 Send a message via MSN to BananaMango777

you can also create a vacuum using a kit motor and a cam arrangement which repeatedly creates a draw/push stroke, then you retain the vacuum using a no-return valve on one side of the cylinder. This is something our team has been looking at this season
I think that this might be more successful than what you are proposing, I believe that some teams did this last year as well to develop a vacuum, with a fair amount of success.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:59 PM

well, we need somthing with a quick vaccum produced to take out the air in our large cup, the cup is larg to allow for sloppy driving and positioning, lol

the ventri works WAY better than i thouht it would, you people should puick one up just to try it, ive seen them lift #30 boxes at my dads works. pretty impressive!

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 06:02 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but what were they powered with? the compressors we have are pretty whimpy - something like 1/8 HP or less (rough guess) and they dont supply a large volume of air.

please dont let me discourage you- definately try the venturi and see how it works - Im only tossing out options for your consideration
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 06:27 PM

i know its not a good idea bc lack of volume of air, im just sayin, dont underestimate its power! try it out, i was REALLY impressed!

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Alumni
FRC #1139 (Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Student

andy is a jewel in the roughandy is a jewel in the roughandy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to andy

I do not think that you have enough compressor "umph" to efficiently implement a venturi vacuum generator. I also would quicly discount centrifigal vac pumps (there heavy- upwards 100 lbs) and turbo molecular vacs (expensive-upwards $15000).

I would try to drive a pnumatic cylinder with a cam on a motor with one way valves that seems like the easiest, lightest, most cost effective solution.

good luck!
-Andy
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I do not think that you have enough compressor "umph" to efficiently implement a venturi vacuum generator. I also would quicly discount centrifigal vac pumps (there heavy- upwards 100 lbs) and turbo molecular vacs (expensive-upwards $15000).

I would try to drive a pnumatic cylinder with a cam on a motor with one way valves that seems like the easiest, lightest, most cost effective solution.

good luck!
-Andy
But since one way valves arn't really legal either, you can use a double solenoid in place of one, as long as you know when the cylinder is extending and retracting. Rather that use a cam, why not put two cylinders parallel to each other and link them together, driving one, while using the other to generate a vacuum. As far as the practicality of generating a vacuum on a FIRST robot or the usefulness of doing so: impractical and useless, but its still interestign to discuss.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 06:39 PM

"We were planning on using the cylenders"

I realize all this, and had already butlt the prototype for it before I even posted. I just wanted to know the legality of it.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 07:26 PM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht

[quote=Rickertsen2]But since one way valves arn't really legal either, you can use a double solenoid in place of one, as long as you know when the cylinder is extending and retracting.[quote]

Actually, the flow restrictors in the pneumatics kit only restrict flow in one direction (the direction with the small arrow). Therefore, if you tighten it all the way down, it functions as a one-way valve.

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem the answer isn't in the back of the book." Anonymous WPI Student
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2004, 10:49 PM
AKA: Tom Wexler
FRC #0708 (Hardwired Fusion)

Rookie Year: 2000
TomWx is a glorious beacon of lightTomWx is a glorious beacon of lightTomWx is a glorious beacon of lightTomWx is a glorious beacon of lightTomWx is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to TomWx

Q&A hass said that Vacuums are not allowed, but suction cups are. As of right now, there are several different followup questions as far as using pneumatics and fans to create a vacuum. Tehse questions stand unanswered. It is clear however that venturi-style vacuum generators are not allowed.
FIRST Championship - Newton Field
Mentor, Team 708 Hardwired Fusion
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2004, 11:29 PM
AKA: Chris
#0696 (The Circuit Breakers)

tenfour will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to tenfour

We tried this last year and got very little suction as a result of little air flow out of the compressor.

There is also a rule against custon pneumatics.

Why in the heck would you want a vacuum anyways?
-2003 Phoenix, AZ Regional Semifinalists
-2003 Phoenix, AZ Regional 3rd Seed.
-2002 Los Angeles, CA Regional Semi-Finalists
-2001 Los Angeles, CA Regional Semi-Finalists

FIRST Mantra - When Lawyer-ism fails, Gracious Professionalism Prevails.
(Yes, it is "BCR Orange")
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: