OCCRA
Go to Post CD, you are crazy!!! - Tottanka [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Please - stop posting needless stuff!

/me gets on soapbox

I have a simple request. This is for something that we all do once in a while. But since these boards are sooo busy these days, I am requesting that we refrain from posting needless stuff and be more efficient. People need to refrain from "chiming in" with something that really doesn't add to the discussion.

These discussion boards have been around since the summer of 1998 and they have proven to be probably the best resource for FIRST teams. People come here for discussion of issues, clarification of rules, and requests for help.

All of this discussion is good.

However, over the past 2-3 weeks, there seems to be a deluge of needless posts. I can understand if these posts were in Chit-Chat, but many of them are in other threads where things are trying to be clarified.

I'll give some examples:
1. It took 27 posts before the REAL 13" ball from Palos Sports was determined.
2. Some people are asking another team has tested something, and other people have replied: not yet, we are testing tomorrow (or something similar)

Why post these things?

We really need to be more efficient. I've been guilty of this too. Once things ease up a bit, we can relax more... but right now there is a ton of traffic. Consider me one of the traffic cops.

/me steps off soapbox

... and no, don't reply to this post with a "yeah, what HE said!"

Andy B.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 10:01 AM
General Manager
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Erin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Erin Rapacki
Re: Please - stop posting needless stuff!

I agree,

Lately I take a look at the Portal... and I am so overwhelmed by the amount of new content that I simply give up and nearly not read anything at all. I want to be informed, but it's not worth my time to skim through huge threads just to find that 5% of information that may actually be useful.

There is no longer a need to rack up post counts because we all have custom titles (am I still correct about this?). So please, only post if you have something intelligent to add onto the conversation, don't post just for mere presence.

ByE

erin

p.s. I know I have been guilty of this at times too, but we all live and learn.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Top 14 guide lines for posting on Chief Delphi Forum

Top 14 guide lines for posting on Chief Delphi Forum:

14. If you have a simple questions, research the answer in the manual or use the search function before posting. Report it to moderators and get it locked as soon as you got the answer you need.

13. When answering questions, only answer when you have a definite answer with the exact quote from the rule book to back it up. Do not post answers like "I think" or "Maybe...".

12. Only add to existing answers if you find them incompletely or wrong.

11. When commenting on a good (or bad) post done by someone, use the reputation points system instead of replying to their post. Let them know you appeciate their effort, or give them advices on how they can be better.

10. Have a point whenever you post a message. Avoid one liners that says "very interesting", "I agree", "I don't like it".

9. Avoid creating a thread that's over-generalized. Try to be specific in your discussion, and be prepared to organize the discussion into sub topics.

8. Watch which message you are replying to. Only reply directly to someone's post only if you are responding to their message. Otherwise reply under the starting post.

7. Start the thread under the appropiate forum.

6. If the discussion is off topic, create a new thread for the new topic and stop it right there.

5. If you see multiple threads about the same topic, link to them in the biggest one, and report to the moderators to be locked.

4. Be brief and quick to your point. The less people have to read, the faster they will understand you.

3. Think twice before you make a post. Spend at least 5 minutes thinking if you are contributing to the discussion. If you are wasting people's time, posting just to put your name up, or just feel like you have nothing better to do, don't do it.

2. Teach by example. Don't tell others to do what you won't do yourself.

1. Be considerate of others. Everyone start out as a beginner, so do not be harsh to anyone who do not know the way.

1999-2001: Team 192 Gunn Robotics Team
2001-2002: Team 100, 192, 258, 419
2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
2003-2004, 2006-2007: California Robot Games Manager
2008: MC in training @ Sac, CalGames
2009: Master of Ceremony @ Sac, CalGames
2010: GA in training @ SVR, Sac.
2010-2011: Mechanical Mentor, Team 115 MVRT
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Top 14 guide lines for posting on Chief Delphi Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Leung

11. When commenting on a good (or bad) post done by someone, use the reputation points system instead of replying to their post. Let them know you appeciate their effort, or give them advices on how they can be better.
This is where reputation points can be very useful. Those of us who feel that there is to much needless posting going on, should be assigning negative reputation points to those needless posts. This way the posters can begin to see that they're upsetting people, clogging up space, and making it very difficult to find important information in a timely manner.

ChiefDelphi has become one of the best tools in FIRST, lets try our hardest to keep it that way. =)
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

one of the beautiful things about having the WHOLE MANUAL in pdf format is the lastest version of acrobat allows you to put all the files in one directory and:

SEARCH ALL OF THEM FOR SPECIFIC WORDS!!!

WOOHOO!

so if you need info on wires, open the first section of the manual, and search on 'wire' in all pdfs in that directory

if you want to know what is NOT allowed - search on the word 'not'

!

so much computational power at your disposal - right there on your desk

it would be a crime not to use it!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando

I know we're supposed to reduce traffic and not say "what he said," but I just wanted to post here to send this up to the top of the portal again so more people will see it. Is it possible to put this request as a blurb like Brandon does all the time on the front of the site?

I'm guilty of this crime as well, but we can make things work better. Good luck to all as usual.
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 05:35 PM
#0442 (Leegeneers)
Team Role: Alumni

Anthony S. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Anthony S. Send a message via Yahoo to Anthony S.

One more piece of advice. USE PRIVATE MESSAGING! If someone is responding to someone directly or asking them a direct question, send them a private message and not on the board where everyone has to read your personal conversation.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2004, 05:55 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalbrando
I know we're supposed to reduce traffic and not say "what he said," but I just wanted to post here to send this up to the top of the portal again so more people will see it. Is it possible to put this request as a blurb like Brandon does all the time on the front of the site?

I'm guilty of this crime as well, but we can make things work better. Good luck to all as usual.
This IS an announcement on the portal. No need for bumping, which is, after all, prohibited by the rules here.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2004, 06:16 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Leung
4. Be brief and quick to your point. The less people have to read, the faster they will understand you.
I agree wholeheartedly. I also want to say to everyone, don't post one-liners. A post that just says 'Oh yeah!' or 'So what?' should be kept to yourself. You're just causing a burden for the sever.

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012, 2014 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional
| FIRST California
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Sophomore At RUHS
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Student

DavidWaters-NG has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to DavidWaters-NG Send a message via MSN to DavidWaters-NG Send a message via Yahoo to DavidWaters-NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCA Fan
I agree wholeheartedly. I also want to say to everyone, don't post one-liners. A post that just says 'Oh yeah!' or 'So what?' should be kept to yourself. You're just causing a burden for the sever.
Depending on the server, we might have overload problems with the MySQL database if we constantly post such things. Donít you want to keep the forums alive everyone?
Founder, webmaster, web programmer, and E-I-C for Nintendo Next Gen, running since August 11th 2001 and still going...now covering the Nintendo DS...re-launch coming soon! Over a million visitors and counting...

Nintendo Next Gen
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2004, 06:03 PM
AKA: Alex
None #0701 (RoboVikes)

Rookie Year: 2003
Alekat has a spectacular aura aboutAlekat has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Alekat

Now I'm all for stopping all the dumb people in the world from posting. But the days before kickoff can be quite slow compared to afterward. So I believe there needs to be a bit of leeway to certain people, especially those new to Delphi forums.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2004, 06:17 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekat
Now I'm all for stopping all the dumb people in the world from posting. But the days before kickoff can be quite slow compared to afterward. So I believe there needs to be a bit of leeway to certain people, especially those new to Delphi forums.
Andy was referring to stuff that was just cluttering the boards--during the build. Not necessarily something "stupid", but people going "yeah, I don't know" "Maybe it's this", stuff like that, that just takes up space and doesn't get any closer to the answer someone was looking for.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2004, 07:17 PM
AKA: Rafghan
FRC #0935 (RaileRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Rafi A is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rafi A Send a message via MSN to Rafi A Send a message via Yahoo to Rafi A

I believe a topic similar to this has been discussed
I apoligize if this constitutes a one-liner
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi A
I believe a topic similar to this has been discussed
I apoligize if this constitutes a one-liner
yes, it was, albeit around 7 months after this thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: