OCCRA
Go to Post "well.. I think I underestimated the swine..." -Andy Baker - Joel J [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2002, 04:12 PM
#0634 (Robowolves)

CharlieWilken is an unknown quantity at this point
robot control emulator for default or other program

has anyone ever made an emulator for the robot controller so we can see the effects of changes to the default program?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:22 PM
#0588 (Team 588)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Curtis Williams is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Curtis Williams Send a message via AIM to Curtis Williams Send a message via MSN to Curtis Williams Send a message via Yahoo to Curtis Williams
I dont know if anyone has made one, I dont know about it. It sure would be nice though. When you test your program on the robot, put it on a cart with the wheels hanging off. Also make sure that everyone clears out. Get a longer serial cable. Last year when I loaded a new program, the robot went into full reverse and plowed into the guy behind it. Now they all listen when I say "stand back".
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2002, 12:18 PM
#0314 (Megatron Oracles "Big MO")

CaptainPlaid is an unknown quantity at this point
I know there was a spreadsheet simulator for the drive train that someone made last year. I think I have it on my laptop and I will check later tonight and post it. I do not know of any emulator for the entire system. It would be nearly impossible as all robots are so different.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2002, 10:47 PM
FRC #1246 (Agincourt Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Lloyd Burns is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: robot control emulator for default or other program

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieWilken
has anyone ever made an emulator for the robot controller so we can see the effects of changes to the default program?
Some emulator equivalents:
* If you want to see the effect on the motors, disconnect the PWM cable from the Victor, and put a servo on the output instead.
* You can see the effect on the LED of Spikes with no load.
* You could use a big DEBUG statement to see the effect on the value of variables, of your calculations.
* To try out different values from sensor inputs, temporarily type in an assignment for the variable.
* And you could watch the dashboard for variables, too.

The best "emulator" is still the robot, but there are ways.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2002, 03:47 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
Hmm, is there a way that someone could develop a program to emulate the actual robot controller? I have had many a night where i wished i had a robot controller at my hosue (i did a lot of programming at home), because i would write some code, and not be sure if it was right. If there was some way to emulate (in software) the robot controller, i'm sure many people would rejoice. I'm not sure if it's possible, but Palm managed to make an emulator for a Palm Pilot, so i would think to make it for a robot controller would be doable, i just don't know how hard.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-15-2002, 01:54 AM
AKA: James Watts
None #0524 (Aplpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Amadkow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
maybe this is something we could work on once we ship the robot. A program that would emulate the robot controller would help most teams. Maybe we should try to orginize an atempt to try to create an eumulator like this.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-15-2002, 06:22 PM
College? What?

Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
I can see lot's of potential for such a program, yet I wouldn't know how to help much. The only programing I can do is PBASIC and some C++. I could help test the program, but beyond that, I can't help.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
An emulator for the robot controller has been a project I've been saving for a rainy day. Over all, you'd have to write a parser for the PBasic language and calculate from there. It's not a trivial project and not one to take lightly. I'd recommend a rather heavy programming background before taking it on. I was thinking of implementing it in Java for maximum platform independence but that's also because GUI's in Java are quite a bit eaiser than in Windows. But that's just my opinion of the matter.

Matt
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:50 PM
College? What?

Um, right. I don't know Java, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Is there any chance that you would be able to make at least a beta of such a program by the time of the first regional? Or is that asking too much? Since I don't know Java, I don't know how long it takes, but from what you're saying, it doesn't look like an emulator is in the works anytime soon. Oh well, next year.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2002, 12:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
yeah I am not that experiance in programming so I don't think I would be much help.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2002, 07:46 AM
College? What?

Heh, we're all saying how little we can do. Maybe if we decided upon a common language, we could all do a little bit of it? I know it's not the best way to do it, but if we all did some of it, we'd learn smoe more programming skills, and we might get the project done sooner. This program could be one of the best things that we have, because we can still program "our robot" after it's shipped. Now, all we would need to do this is a "group leader" who knows more than everyone else about the launguage we would use. They could assign parts of the code out, and then compile all the parts that come back. I think if we tried this, it could work. At least it's better than all of us saying, well, i only know this, or i only know that, because you can learn as you go.

Reardles of whether you like this idea or not, please, let's try to work together to make this happen, or if you think there's a better way, post it! The only way this is going to get done is if somone starts working on it more or less now.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2002, 05:17 PM

that is a good idea. I like the idea of making in it Java so it will work on most platforms.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian W.
Um, right. I don't know Java, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Is there any chance that you would be able to make at least a beta of such a program by the time of the first regional? Or is that asking too much? Since I don't know Java, I don't know how long it takes, but from what you're saying, it doesn't look like an emulator is in the works anytime soon. Oh well, next year.
In all probablity no. There is a distinct possiblity but I wouldn't count on it. I may have some time over my spring break.

Matt
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Rookie Year: 2000
Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah
Talking

Ok,

First, get a box. Than get a cable running from the back of your computer port into the box. Put duct tape around the whole thing, with the roll in the box, and if you programming is correct, it should humm and get warm to the touch. If it goes up in flames, or does nothing, your programming is incorrect.

Ok, ok, for real. I would like to help. I know a "skimming" ammount of pbasic, and would like to know how i can get a hold of some C, C++, and Linux programs, for free and small (i am on a 56k modem), so i can learn and help out w/ this program if it goes through!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2002, 12:39 AM
#0857 (Superior Roboworks)

ChrisA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChrisA
actually we happen to have someone that we tried to convince to do create an emulator all by himself (he could do it). the problem is that its a very hard task to undergo by urself. if someone decided to go through with it just give me an email and ill try to talk with him and see if i can convince him to work on it with some help from other people. otherwise well just have to convince him to do it next year.

also im quite confused on this whole duct tape thing...
i got the thing duct taped and all but how do i get the roll of duct tape into the box after ive taped it all up?
im really gonna need some help here
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: