OCCRA
Go to Post If you want to prove your worth, prove it by creation, not destruction. - DanL [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of
Could someone look this over?

I was wondering if someone could look this over. I think it should work, but when run on the robot it doesn't behave at all the way it is expected to.

In rampPWMs.c:
Code:
     unsigned char rampPWMs(
    	unsigned char currentPWM,
    	unsigned char goalPWM,
    	unsigned char sensitivity,
    	unsigned char deadZone)
     {
     	// Check if we want to be within one of the dead zones.
     	if((127 + deadZone > goalPWM) && (goalPWM > 127 - deadZone))
     		goalPWM = 127;
     	if(255 - deadZone < goalPWM)
     		goalPWM = 255;
     	if(0 + deadZone > goalPWM)
     		goalPWM = 0;

// Determine if we have to go up or down to reach our goal
     	// Note that if we are within 'sensitivity' from the goal
     	// we don't do anything yet. This prevents us from "jittering" and
     	// keeps us from exceeding 0 or 255 and looping around.
     	if(currentPWM >= goalPWM + sensitivity)
     		return currentPWM - sensitivity;
     	if(currentPWM <= goalPWM - sensitivity)
     		return currentPWM + sensitivity;

// If we reach here we are within 'sensitivity' of 'goalPWM'.
     	// It is now safe to go directly to the goal.
     	return goalPWM;
     }
In user_routines.c, I have used that function like this:
Code:
     unsigned char tempLeftMotorValue = 0;
     unsigned char tempRightMotorValue = 0;

// Determine where the joystick wants us 
     tempLeftMotorValue = Limit_Mix(2000 + p1_y + p1_x - 127);
     tempRightMotorValue = Limit_Mix(2000 + p1_y - p1_x + 127);

// This line ramps the joystick values using a low pass filter with a built-in dead bands/zones
     driveMotorLeft = rampPWMs(driveMotorLeft, tempLeftMotorValue, DRIVER_SENSE, DRIVER_DEAD_ZONE);
     driveMotorRight = rampPWMs(driveMotorRight, tempRightMotorValue, DRIVER_SENSE, DRIVER_DEAD_ZONE);
The Limit_Mix() lines are taken directly from the default code, so they should work correctly.

driveMotorRight and driveMotorLeft are #defined as pwm01 and pwm02.

If anyone notices any possible errors in that stuff, could they please tell me?

PS You could also tell me that it's perfect and it's all the drivetrain team's fault.

Last edited by Ryan M. : 02-08-2004 at 11:53 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:54 AM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could someone look this over?

in the past putting out a PWM value of 255 would cause your bot to go totally berzerk, casue 255 was used to flag the start of the serial output stream.

Im not sure if thats true with the new controllers, but its somthing to try - set your upper limit to 254.

have you tried putting printF statement in your code, and listing out your variables as it runs, to see what they actaully are?

Last edited by KenWittlief : 02-08-2004 at 11:58 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Programming User

Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
in the past putting out a PWM value of 255 would cause your bot to go totally berzerk, casue 255 was used to flag the start of the serial output stream.

Im not sure if thats true with the new controllers, but its somthing to try - set your upper limit to 254.
Thanks. I'll try changing it to 254. Any other suggestions would be great too, just in case that doesn't help.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:59 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

oops. I just edited my last post with another idea, go back and check it.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Programming User

Quote:
have you tried putting printF statement in your code, and listing out your variables as it runs, to see what they actaully are?
I can't figure the printf() out. I am a C/C++ programmer, so I should know what I'm doing, but for unknown reasons, the printf is giving me strange values that are outside the range for an unsigned char.

We have hooked it up to dashboard and it appears to work, but that might have been an older version of the code. I can't remember, people keep stealing the controller to attach it to the control board on the 'bot. I'll have to do it again on Monday.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:03 PM
no team

also this code

both IFs can be true when the first IF causes the value to change, then the second one will become true and change it again - I dont think you want that - shouldnt the first IF jump over the second one when its true?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Programming User

Quote:
also this code

both IFs can be true when the first IF causes the value to change, then the second one will become true and change it again - I dont think you want that - shouldnt the first IF jump over the second one when its true?
We return after one of them is true, so it doesn't matter.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:08 PM
no team

if the printf is producing something you dont expect, its not the printf function thats faulty :c)

when your code is not doing what you think it should be, then something IS wrong in there - so if you printf out a variable and its not what you think should be there, then you have found at least one thing that is wrong in your code.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Programming User

Quote:
if the printf is producing something you dont expect, its not the printf statement thats faulty :c)
I know, I just can't quite figure it out. I'll have to play with it some, oh, wait, as I was sitting here I just got an idea. It might not be doing the conversion from a unsigned char to an int correctly. Maybe an explicit cast will help...

As I said in a previous edited post, we have used dashboard on it and it appeared to work then, but I'm not sure about the version I was using. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Ryan M. : 02-08-2004 at 12:18 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan
It might not be doing the conversion from a unsigned char to an int correctly. Maybe an explicit cast will help...
That is exactly the problem and the solution.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Programming User

Yes!

PS Excessive celebration, 5 yard penalty.

Any more suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Ryan M. : 02-08-2004 at 12:19 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Code:
Since everything is an unsigned char, then this code is a problem.
If goalPWM is 254 and sensitivity is 10 and CurrentPWM is 127, the result of (goalPWM + sensitivity) is 8 and so CurrentPWM is greater then 8 and you return 117 not 137 like you hope.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Programming User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross
Code:
Since everything is an unsigned char, then this code is a problem.
If goalPWM is 254 and sensitivity is 10 and CurrentPWM is 127, the result of (goalPWM + sensitivity) is 8 and so CurrentPWM is greater then 8 and you return 117 not 137 like you hope.
Yep, that will be the problem I'm sure. I'll just add a few extra tests for the extreme cases. (wanting to be at 0 and 254)

And the funny thing is, I had already paritially taken looping around into acount in the code.

Last edited by Ryan M. : 02-08-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: