OCCRA
Go to Post This will likely fall on deaf eyes but - - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2004, 03:18 PM
#0930 (Mukwonago Masters of Machinery)

Neghman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Neghman
Question Wire Gauge Question

I was wondering a bit about the wire gauge requirements, specifically for the Fisher Price motor. All the rulebook seems to say is that the connection from the breaker panel to the speed controller has to be 10 AWG (or larger) wire, but not what the wire can be from the speed controller to the motor. I assume it should also be 10 AWG, but I noticed on the QA System that the Globe motor can have 16 AWG wire from the speed controller. Anybody know if this is also the case for the Fisher Price?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wire Gauge Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neghman
I was wondering a bit about the wire gauge requirements, specifically for the Fisher Price motor. All the rulebook seems to say is that the connection from the breaker panel to the speed controller has to be 10 AWG (or larger) wire, but not what the wire can be from the speed controller to the motor. I assume it should also be 10 AWG, but I noticed on the QA System that the Globe motor can have 16 AWG wire from the speed controller. Anybody know if this is also the case for the Fisher Price?
Neghman,
5.6.2 Wire Size
At any given current level, the smaller the gauge of a wire, the greater the voltage drop and power loss in the
wire due to its inherent resistance. FIRST has specified minimum allowed wire sizes based on guidelines
used in the automotive industry. The wires and cables included in the Kit are intended for specific uses.
Table 5.2 shows the minimum wire sizes allowed for hookup of the various control system devices. Note that
you may use larger wire sizes than indicated in the table or shown on the 2004 Robot Power Distribution
Diagram.
The secret is in looking at the difference in stall currents between the globe and FP.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: