OCCRA
Go to Post I want to use some of that mass-less rod in our robot - saves weight. - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2004, 02:09 PM
AKA: Vex
#1166 (The Highlanders)
Team Role: Animator

1166 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to 1166
Talking About the team numbers

I know they have to be four inches tall and three and a quarter inches wide, but can we use stencils, tape, paint anything we desire?
Merci,
-Vex
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2004, 02:21 PM
#0528 (Dark Knights)

NateBot16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NateBot16
Re: About the team numbers

Yes, you can use anything so long as it can be seen 100 feet away. Well you cant use tape, as the only tape we are allowed to use is with the electronics.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2004, 02:26 PM
AKA: Vex
#1166 (The Highlanders)
Team Role: Animator

1166 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateBot16
Yes, you can use anything so long as it can be seen 100 feet away. Well you cant use tape, as the only tape we are allowed to use is with the electronics.
That's what I thought too thanks
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateBot16
Actually, I think you can use tape. R14 does say you can't use tape other than electrical insulation, but I think if you are making a team number, it'd fall under the Non-Functional decoration rule (R-55-R60). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2004, 03:41 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMcD
Actually, I think you can use tape. R14 does say you can't use tape other than electrical insulation, but I think if you are making a team number, it'd fall under the Non-Functional decoration rule (R-55-R60). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
You can get into arguments about 'it's there to meet a rule requirement, so its therefor functional', but I think that is not the intent of the rule. The intent is prevent using tape as a fastner.

I would think that using tape to make the team numbers would be fine. Make sure there is contrast.

Wetzel
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 09:41 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

I dont think anyone will stop you from using tape for your team numbers, but it would look kinda sloppy. Consider the fact that good looking or unique looking robots do stick in peoples minds, so it can be a powerful tool to get yourself to be picked as an alliance partner. Minor details once again can pay off.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 10:21 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of funny, they say electrical tape can only be used as an electrical insulator, but isn't it an electrical insulator regardless of if it is near electronics? I know I know, the spirit of the rule. I just thought if we were lawyers you could use it wherever you wanted since it keeps its electrical insulating properties no matter where it is.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
It's kind of funny, they say electrical tape can only be used as an electrical insulator, but isn't it an electrical insulator regardless of if it is near electronics? I know I know, the spirit of the rule. I just thought if we were lawyers you could use it wherever you wanted since it keeps its electrical insulating properties no matter where it is.
Ok, last year, the rules clearly said #s had to be on 4 sides of the robot. I put it on our robot's left, right, and back side last year. The fourth side was the TOP. Well, the inspectors @ Chesapeake didn't like that so we had to oddly mount it on the front (which had a big gap in it for the stacker) with markers, paper, and tape ... Based on middle school geometry, I would consider TOP as a side
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 10:48 AM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan Wang
Ok, last year, the rules clearly said #s had to be on 4 sides of the robot. I put it on our robot's left, right, and back side last year. The fourth side was the TOP. Well, the inspectors @ Chesapeake didn't like that so we had to oddly mount it on the front (which had a big gap in it for the stacker) with markers, paper, and tape ... Based on middle school geometry, I would consider TOP as a side
So no ones gets confused this year, the manual says:

"Teams must display their Team Numbers in four locations at approximately 90-degree intervals around the side of their robot."

So don't try to place the numbers on the top, bottom and two sides ... I'm pretty sure that won't work.
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 12:20 PM
#0135 (Penn Robotics)

hcperdan is on a distinguished road

I noticed in your original question that you said the numbers have to be 3 and a quarter inches wide. Actually the stroke has to be 3/4 inch wide.

Last year we had fancy, fire-rimmed letters, but the stroke wasn't wide enough (the flames didn't count) so we had to overlay the numbers with tape. It wasn't beautiful.

Step by step walk the thousand mile path.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: