OCCRA
Go to Post "If two kids from every school who would otherwise have been uninterested in technology watched this special tonight and was inspired to learn more, then the world just changed because of it." - Barry Bonzack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > 3D Animation and Competition
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 09:24 PM
"Operation FIRST"
AKA: Matt Conte
#1098 (G.I.'s)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
MConte05 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MConte05
Looks like 2004 won't be my year.....

Its now thursday, and I finally made a descision to cancel the animation for team 1098 this year. Reason being is that I feel I don't have enough time to do what I want to do in it, I know that some of you would say "hey, just pump it out and turn it in." But this is my first year doing it, so that means that I am eligible for the "rising star" award; and personally, since I am the only animator on the team, I really want to win it......

Thats why I cancelled the animation, I could pump out a quick 30-sec animation with barely any sound effects, music, dialouge, or even special effects for the video work. But I know that it wouldn't win any awards....and personally thats something that I am striving for....

Anyways, now since I am going to be using the same concept for next year I think that I am going to try to take the animation part of our team up a notch. By working this summer on a 10-15 minute "short movie" of our teams values. And then by the time the 2005 compo rolls around, I can edit some parts out of the team movie and add some other scenes as well as new music and stuff.....does this sound like a good idea?

BTW, if you are wondering, our team concept is based on the the U.S. Rangers idea of "leave no man behind" and the U.S. Armys concept of "An Army of One". Except that they will be modifyed for our team (the G.I.'s) as "Leave no student behind" and something clever for the Army motto....

I am going to be rehauling all of my models, including working a lot closer with reactor and stuff (just think, a helicopter comes in, drops ropes realistically, dust flying everywhere, grass and trees swaying...clothes rippling.....) Anyways, here is a picture of my old UH-60 Blackhawk.... I rendered this about a week or two ago, the fully textured and "rushed" model of the blackhawk is at school.....

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...gle&picid=6316
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Animation Guru
AKA: David Soukup
no team

Soukup is on a distinguished road
Re: Looks like 2004 won't be my year.....

does this seem like a bad idea.... no

personally, If the product I was going to produce would not be up to par with what I thought I could do, then I would wait a year. You can't argue that you're being selfish in trying to win the rising star award, because that's a huge deal and you only get ot try for it once. Also, since you're the only animator on the team it's really your call. Working over the summer is an excellent idea, and your helicopter is showing a lot of promise.

BTW President Bush had a policy of 'no child left behind' and it really sounds a lot like your title. Might want to rethink that a little bit (just the wording)

otherwise.... keep up the good work.

Team 74 Alumni

2003 Great Lakes, Midwest, and West Michigan Regional Animation Award Winner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 11:38 PM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05
Its now thursday, and I finally made a descision to cancel the animation for team 1098 this year. Reason being is that I feel I don't have enough time to do what I want to do in it, I know that some of you would say "hey, just pump it out and turn it in." But this is my first year doing it, so that means that I am eligible for the "rising star" award; and personally, since I am the only animator on the team, I really want to win it......

Thats why I cancelled the animation, I could pump out a quick 30-sec animation with barely any sound effects, music, dialouge, or even special effects for the video work. But I know that it wouldn't win any awards....and personally thats something that I am striving for....

Anyways, now since I am going to be using the same concept for next year I think that I am going to try to take the animation part of our team up a notch. By working this summer on a 10-15 minute "short movie" of our teams values. And then by the time the 2005 compo rolls around, I can edit some parts out of the team movie and add some other scenes as well as new music and stuff.....does this sound like a good idea?

BTW, if you are wondering, our team concept is based on the the U.S. Rangers idea of "leave no man behind" and the U.S. Armys concept of "An Army of One". Except that they will be modifyed for our team (the G.I.'s) as "Leave no student behind" and something clever for the Army motto....

I am going to be rehauling all of my models, including working a lot closer with reactor and stuff (just think, a helicopter comes in, drops ropes realistically, dust flying everywhere, grass and trees swaying...clothes rippling.....) Anyways, here is a picture of my old UH-60 Blackhawk.... I rendered this about a week or two ago, the fully textured and "rushed" model of the blackhawk is at school.....

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...gle&picid=6316
Here's what I suggest:

Forget the deadline, complete your animation, and use it for PR. Its good the get the experiance and it will help train you for next year. This way you can also do the best job that you can.

Wave Robotics 2014 Season:
Northern Lights: Regional Finalist, Quality, Imagery, and Dean's List Finalist: Melissa D.
Wisconsin Regional: Quarter-finalists, Industrial design award.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2004, 12:23 AM
#1188 (Oaktown Crewz)

Matt Hallock is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matt Hallock Send a message via AIM to Matt Hallock Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Hallock

There's a chance that the theme will be changed next year and all your efforts will go to complete waste though. I feel your pain, I am the only animator on my team on what I was told to be a rookie team, although we are not since I learned we had a disqualified animation last year, this is my first year with robotics and such.

What I suggest to you is you do what you have now, and turn it in, it's probably better than you think. This is actually a problem I've encountered with myself on this animation. I kept thinking it wasn't good because I'd spent six weeks with this thing. After awhile I just wasn't phased by how it looked for some reason.

Your efforts over the summer would be better expanded if you got away from the animation and tried new things, even if they failed I guarantee you would learn a lot more than just sticking to this animation.

These animations can't realistically be blockbuster motion pictures in six weeks, considering teams of 30 people take eight months to make parts in movies that may only be five or ten minutes long. Being that you are on your own, next year I'd suggest aiming for lower goals. You'll be very competative with rookie teams, since the other rookie teams just got the program as well.
Lead Animator for Donder-Kimball High School, team #1188.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2004, 08:15 AM
"Operation FIRST"
#1098 (G.I.'s)

Quote:
Here's what I suggest: Forget the deadline, complete your animation, and use it for PR. Its good the get the experiance and it will help train you for next year. This way you can also do the best job that you can.
I actually am hoping to get some advanced models done by the time the compo rolls around, that way I can have some renders shown off in the pit, as well perhaps a clip of what I am planning to do......

Quote:
There's a chance that the theme will be changed next year and all your efforts will go to complete waste though. I feel your pain, I am the only animator on my team on what I was told to be a rookie team, although we are not since I learned we had a disqualified animation last year, this is my first year with robotics and such.
Yea, I was pondering what would happen if the animation parameters changed, but then again, its not likely, since it has been the same for what? 5 years? But even if they do change it, it will probably still be around the same lines as the previous years.....

Quote:
These animations can't realistically be blockbuster motion pictures in six weeks, considering teams of 30 people take eight months to make parts in movies that may only be five or ten minutes long. Being that you are on your own, next year I'd suggest aiming for lower goals. You'll be very competative with rookie teams, since the other rookie teams just got the program as well.
Well, i think that I have gotten more experience with the program than other teams, I have been teaching myself it since last summer, with Max5, and now hopefully I can put what I have learned to the test this summer.... BTW, another one of the reasons that I decided to stop the animation was because I was starting to have a lot of problems with my penguin rig, it never seemed to work, I must have spent a good 4 hours trying to fix it. Even in the end it still was messed up in some places (for example, when I moved the leg, a part of the mess would shoot out of its shoulder ).......

Anyways, I am going to bring up the new idea, and basic outline of the short movie (now about 5-10 min long hopefully) to my team, and see how they want to do it.....
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Animation Guru
AKA: David Soukup
no team

Soukup is on a distinguished road

the PR idea is excellent and I can't believe that I didnt think of that.

And the theme has only been around for 3 years. Before that the requirments were to just show your robot and the game. This theme has gotten used a little to much so I would almost EXPECT a change next year, if not the year after that.

Team 74 Alumni

2003 Great Lakes, Midwest, and West Michigan Regional Animation Award Winner
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
"Operation FIRST"
#1098 (G.I.'s)

Yea, I might be making a small preview to show at the 2004 compo.....

But I was thinking again, perhaps if I did make this short movie, I could have the animation be a "commerical" for the movie (which would be based on our values). And then, in the pits I can have like "showings" of the movie like every hour or so using a data projector..... And maybe even make a small 1-2 minute trailer to be playing continuously to get people interested in watching?

I personally think it would make a lot more people interested in the animation competion (and perhaps help FIRST realize how much time we put into these animations?).......

BTW, the trailers, movie and stuff would sorta be based on Black Hawk Down, except without the blood and gore and extreme violence.... If you want to see what the trailers are like, and what I am shooting for, go here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/columbia/black_hawk_down/
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the home stretch for our animation. We may make it, we may not. But it will be done. We've worked too long and hard on it to just give up and forget about it.
You owe it to your team and yourself to finish the work you started. Awards are nice but they shouldn't be the sole reason you do FIRST. You'll be better for it if you finish the work.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2004, 11:45 PM
"Operation FIRST"
#1098 (G.I.'s)

The animation isn't the sole reason that I am doing FIRST, in fact I am disapointed that I wasn't able to do as much as I did last year for our team then this year cause of the animation.....Thats why I will probably work on it this summer, even if the criteira changes, I will still be using what I make for reels to show to colleges and stuff; thats also another reason why I want to win this award, it would be pretty impressive to put on a college resume....

BTW, does anyone know any good links on how to develop a really good short story? Or any books that are good?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 10:55 PM
"Operation FIRST"
#1098 (G.I.'s)

Well, me and pras870 are now going to be working together on this movie, more details will be posted later.... But this picture I uploaded is the final render (without texture) of my "rushed" UH-60 Blackhawk, the model for the movie is going to be completly redone....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UH60Render.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1891  

Last edited by MConte05 : 02-22-2004 at 12:32 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2004, 12:40 AM
AKA: Mike
#0870 (Team Rice)

pras870 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to pras870

Yes, it is offical, much like teams #60 and #254 collaborated on their design this year, teams #1098 and #870 are collaborating on an animation.

Many of you know from this post, Matt decided to not complete his animation this year because it was not up to his standard. Me and him have been chatting ever since he asked advice on audio to use for the animation, and have developed what I would say, is quite a unique friendship. Because of this, I'm fully behind in supporting him on his decision to release his animation next year. Not only that, but I will be collaborating with him to make his vision a reality.

We will be working together on a daily basis to create possibly the most visually stunning piece of animation FIRST has ever seen. Not only visually stunning, but we're hoping to create a message that will encourage future participants to join FIRST and have a great time doing it. We have only begun on this collaboration, which will be a year in the making.

We plan on making a 15 minute animation with complete stunning visuals, an amazing score, ear-bursting sound effects, and a message that will hopefully encourage many more students to join FIRST. Of course the actual animation submitted will be in a somewhat commercial format, with the entire 15 minute animation hopefully being shown at Nationals 2005. We will of course, keep you updated, since this is only pre-production
'03 SBPLI Regional Winners
'04 SBPLI Xerox Creativity Award Winners

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: