OCCRA
Go to Post Robotics is my football! - Nemo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 06:45 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Joe3 has a spectacular aura aboutJoe3 has a spectacular aura aboutJoe3 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Joe3
Pre-Ship Scrimage Results

I wasnt fortunate to make it to one of these scrimages today, as we just had too much to do on the robot. However, I was wondering how they went. In the past, they have shown significant insight into the game. So, if anyone can post some reflections on them, I think it would be a great help to all. Thanks.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez
Re: Pre-Ship Scrimage Results

I was at the UTC Scrimmage today, and did some refing. Overall, I think teams were too worried about getting their robot working, to really play the game the way they intended to.
Anyway, some of the strategies used were:
Horde small balls into HP. Most balls wins
Use big ball. I only saw 2 teams do it succesfully, only 1 of them more than once.
Block chutes with moveable goals.
Hang on bar right away / prevent other team from hanging (The finals came down to the 2 robots who hung the best facing off).

Thats really it.
Here's some pictures I got of robots and good action shots
And here's the rest of them. These ones are dark or blurry.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 07:01 PM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2001
Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Tytus Gerrish

In the Swamp shop 179 180 and 1251 got some full scale practice done. swampthing worked fine it caps and uncaps balls with no troubble. Spam had some control broblems, tho they blew us all away with their Holonomic Omni Drive. and 1251 got their Lasso device broken by swampthing and i helped them make an aluninum pice to make it work better.

GO TEAMS!!! I Had great Time An were All Glad you came

Last edited by Tytus Gerrish : 02-21-2004 at 07:03 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Webmaster, spamrobotics.com
AKA: Jon
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
robot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to robot180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus Gerrish
In the Swamp shop 179 180 and 1251 got some full scale practice done. swampthing worked fine it caps and uncaps balls with no troubble. Spam had some control broblems, tho they blew us all away with their Holonomic Omni Drive. and 1251 got their Lasso device broken by swampthing and i helped them make an aluninum pice to make it work better.

GO TEAMS!!! I Had great Time An were All Glad you came
Thank you to team 179 for hosting that. It really helped us. We weren't really having control problems exactly; we just moved things by hand so that we could be there to stop or catch anything if it didn't work. The switches have been tested and work fine. The driving of the omni-directional drivetrain was a little crazy, but we tweaked it a bit. Most of the problems are getting used to driving the thing since it is very different than tank treads. Our drivers got a lot of practice on your field today and we think we got the science down, for now. Lets see if that is still true at UCF.
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 07:15 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

yeah we had problems but we'll figure them out-- it's not a spam bot without a million problems

but thanks swampthing for letting us test!!! spam luvs u guys
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 08:08 PM
FIRST Alumni
no team

Robert Hafner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Robert Hafner Send a message via MSN to Robert Hafner Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Hafner

Unfortunetly, the scrimmage ran behind due to field problems, so they stopped the matches and went the finals after the teams had only two matches. The teams who didn't get picked were kind of grr about that, understandably.

On a brighter note, my team managed to get both the lowest and highest score of the day!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Who is John Galt?
FRC #0039 (The 39th Aerosquadron)

Rookie Year: 1998
Ken Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3
I wasnt fortunate to make it to one of these scrimages today, as we just had too much to do on the robot. However, I was wondering how they went. In the past, they have shown significant insight into the game. So, if anyone can post some reflections on them, I think it would be a great help to all. Thanks.
Team 64 would like to thank the 10 teams from the Phoenix/Tucson area who came to our 7th Annual "Duel in the Desert". The action was much better than I expected with almost a week to go before shipping. Several teams were able to gain axcess to the platforms. Three teams were able to hang. No one used the IR beacon in auto mode, though a few teams said they were working on it. Most robots (even the rookies) showed exceptional speed. A few teams realized how top heavy they were (tipping over was not uncommon especially when carrying the big balls.) Many teams used the pneumatic tires. Special acknowledgement to Team 1011 for their "Swerve2" driving system.

What suprised me the most was how little time two minutes is when you are trying to accomplish just a few things in this years game.

Ken loyd
Team 64
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:31 PM
President
AKA: Aaron
#0449 (Blair Robot Project)

ReggieB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB

The one in DC went well, except for the radio channel problem. They had to be set manually, and some couldn't get off the default channel.

There were at least two that did the big ball, and two that did the chinup. Here we are:http://www.mbhs.edu/~aajohnso/robo04...20(Medium).JPG
(bad lighting, fuzzy, but that is 449 haning)

We were able to just drive up the 6" step, but we also drive up balls, goals, robots, etc, so we need to do something about that (we came home and started fabricating). There was some big event there, which first was a small part of, so there wasnt much room and a lot of people.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre
Use big ball. I only saw 2 teams do it succesfully, only 1 of them more than once.
Was that us.. because we did a couple times in practice rounds.. but then in the finals we kept losing pneumatic pressure and out main arm gear down sprocket broke in half Well anyway we were team 195... "The Ghetto Bot" (the one with PVC arms, orange gloves, and a zip tied on sign from our pits at nats)

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

Ok this is great and all, but what did you you learn about the dynamics of the game? Not to whine, but this thread has gotten a bit of topic, and us teams who weren't able to make it to a practice scrimish would really like some insight into things.

How big of a hazard were the small balls?
How did autonomous go?
How much contact was there?
What strategies were sucessful?
What strategies weren't?
Was hanging big?
How important were the smalls balls and the big balls?
What sorts of mehcanisms proved effective and inneffective?
What were the common characteristics of high scorign robots?
What were the biggest challenges for most bots?
How important was speed? Torque? Control?
Were alot of people able to get up the ramp?
.......... etc, etc, etc.....

Last edited by Rickertsen2 : 02-21-2004 at 10:17 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

ok pretty much what it came down to was....

1) Gathering balls takes too much time and proved not to be worth it
2)who ever hangs wins

then again, most teams didnt have new bots or didnt have their new ones worked out, so we still have to wait and see

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Robogeek
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Gui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Gui Cavalcanti

At DC I pretty much got the impression that the balls are actually very small, cuddly landmines. When all of them are dumped, all hell breaks loose on the playing field. It doesn't matter if you have a little ground clearance or a lot of ground clearance, you start riding up on balls simply because they're so grippy on aluminum. Teams were being dissuaded from hanging or grabbing yellow balls simply because a little red ball was smack dab in their way. This has gotten so bad that I've told my autonomous guys to work out a "ball-bocker" program that doesn't allow the bonus point balls to be hit!

Hanging looks to be the major issue. Teams simply couldn't pick up the yellow multiplier balls (thought that has to do with the fact that the balls weren't exactly to spec), and very few could hang. Those that could hang generally went from the very top platform. Very few teams at DC were doing much of anything.

Nobody at DC had an autonomous, and it didn't seem to matter.

All-Purpose College Mentor with a Mechanical Specialty

Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Class of 2008
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 10:05 PM
FIRST Alumni
no team

Robert Hafner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Robert Hafner Send a message via MSN to Robert Hafner Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Hafner

How did autonomous go?
Although some teams had a semi-working autonomous mode, most didn't have anything yet.

meh, not too much, especially compared to previous years.

if you can shoot, and you can hang, you can win.

What strategies weren't?
pushing balls wasn't as big as I though it would be.

Was hanging big?
Oh yeah. When my team hung, we won (haighest score of the day! w00t!). Those 50 points add up.

Not as much as I thought, but still very important, particularly the small.

lots of the big ball grabbers weren't working right (ours wasn't even attached yet) however I think it'll have to wait until the first regionals.

hang, climb, and not break.

Getting the robot to work. Not many autonomous modes worked, and there was a lot of unfinished robots.

I guess it all depends on the strategy involved. Balls were everywhere, so speed wasn't a big deal there because you didn't really have to fight for them. Most robots kept to their own side.

I didn't see that many doing it.

One thing that I noticed that was majorly different from last year was the penalty system. It killed a lot of teams (we were penalized for part of our robot entering the corral, buzz had part of its bot out of the field and was penalized, lots of teams got into some trouble)

My team will be putting up information for individual teams (with their permission, of course) that we gathered at the scrimmage on our website (http://www.team96.org is the main site, and out scouting database is http://www.team96.org/scouting/) and some teams have already registered and put their information up themselves. It;ll give you a better idea about what other teams are doing.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)

Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMMan b182
Was that us.. because we did a couple times in practice rounds.. but then in the finals we kept losing pneumatic pressure and out main arm gear down sprocket broke in half
No, sorry. I didn't see the practice rounds. I showed up at about 1pm. Team 839 did it a couple times, and buzz (175) did it once.

How did autonomous go?
Seems like most teams were making sure they could move in auto mode. Not much was programed. Buzz went forward a little and spun once. Other teams went forward also.
The contact happened when another team was blocking ball chutes, or keeping another bot from getting on top of the platform. Not nearly as much contact as the previous 2 years.
One bot corals small balls, while the other hangs. Or the non-hanger keeps opposing robots from hanging.
What strategies weren't?
Well, alot of teams pushed small balls, but not very well. Very few teams did anything with the large ball.
Was hanging big?
The biggest deciding factor.
If you can get 10+ small balls your in good shape to win. If you can add a large ball to that they you're golden. A large ball with few small balls may not cut it.
Quality over quantity. Stick to one task and do it well. More specificlly for you: A simple hook to grab the bar works like a charm. A simple pincher for the large ball works well.
They could hang. Or they could hold 5+ small balls.
Geting up the 6" step. Alot tried, few succeeded.
1) Control
2) Speed
3) Torque
By ramp, I assume you mean the tiny stairs. Only if they're robot was narrow enough to get around the staionary goal.

Hope that answers your questions.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2004, 11:02 PM
AKA: Lisa Tarman

MrsT has a spectacular aura aboutMrsT has a spectacular aura aboutMrsT has a spectacular aura about

In DC we didn't keep score....it was just 5 min practices in front of the huge crowd at the Engineering Week festivites in the National Building Museum

*None of us had effective autonomous (we're working on it tomorrow!)

*The red balls were a problem..........even a movable GOAL got up on one!

*Since it was practice rather than matches -- there wasn't really any game strategy revealed.....everyone was just troubleshooting their own bots.

Lisa T

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: