OCCRA
Go to Post Maybe we won't get any motors at all! Rotary Pneumatics, here we come! - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2004, 07:51 AM

Srkasner is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Pneumatics Problem + possible fix

After building our robot this year, we have 6 pneumatic cylinders ranging in stroke from 6 inches to close to 1 foot. We realized that our dual reservoirs would hit 60 PSI and hen it would leak somewhere because the total pressure never went above 60 PSI even though our pressure sensor was supposed to go up to 125 PSI! And with all the cylinders we had to operate, we needed a LOT of air and the compressor would not stop and it got to the point where it got so hot I got a pretty decent burn! We checked every connection and we finally traced it to the new pressure reducer we got from Norgren in the new kit. We replaced it with last years and the problem was fixed. If any of you are experiencing this problem, try this first!

~Steve
Team 1124
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen
Re: Pneumatics Problem + possible fix

Read this thread:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25790

It should help for the super hot compressor.
As for the Norgen. Did you have It pointed in the right direction. There is a arrow that points the way the as should flow on it. Also make sure all set screws on non-used holes are teflon tapes and screwed in.

Good luck.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star

Last edited by ngreen : 02-24-2004 at 08:31 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Engineer
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond repute

We also have had problems with leaking systems in the past. This year we used as few of the brass tees and reducers as possible. I know, I know, if you use enough teflon tape it won't leak but by avoiding joints it will also help. Another thing we have found is that some of the tanks take a lot of torque to properly seal. No problem this year but last year it took two guerillas to crank the fitting in tight enough.

BTW installing the Norgren regulator backwards will give you the symptoms you mentioned.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Mark Ivey
AKA: Mark
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Mr. Ivey is a glorious beacon of lightMr. Ivey is a glorious beacon of lightMr. Ivey is a glorious beacon of lightMr. Ivey is a glorious beacon of lightMr. Ivey is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Ivey

One thing that I was doing when I was setting up some testing cylinders earlier this year I was trying to get rid of the leaking issues with my system. I realized that if I stopped it from one of the adapter fittings, the part that I was adapting to from one of the tanks started leaking. I looked at the adapter fittings and found I was making them oblong, like an oval at the top. If you tighten those brass adapter fittings too tight, you will mess them up. And I know this sounds obvious, but make sure the lines are properly set into the quick connect fittings, it is possible that the lines are not properly seated in them. After you have pushed the line in the quick connect, pull the collar up so that the line is held in secure. As said by ngreen and Andy Brockway, make sure the Norgen is in the right direction. If you look at it from the top, you will notice one end is sticking out further than the others, this is the end you want a pressure guage, the opposite end you want the input pressure, and the other two you can use for running your system. Make sure your pressure sensor is working properly. If your system is not yet in your bot, you can spray a small amount of windex or other window cleaner on the fittings, this will bubble and show you leaks. You can use water, but I have found windex works the best. Hope this helps.
ivey
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ivey
If your system is not yet in your bot, you can spray a small amount of windex or other window cleaner on the fittings, this will bubble and show you leaks. You can use water, but I have found windex works the best. Hope this helps.
ivey
....Soap and water. It bubbles real good if you have even a small leak.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: