OCCRA
Go to Post 4 is kind of like 5 - Jaine Perotti [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2004, 11:00 PM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

bigqueue will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bigqueue Send a message via Yahoo to bigqueue
Serious thermoplastic problems!!!

Well, we learned two important things tonight.....

1) Loctite melts thermoplastics ferociously....

2) The entire control system is made of themoplastic!!!

. . . . . . H E L P . . . . . . .

We tried to lock down all our control panel screws, and it appears that the loctite we used was quite destructive to our entire control system. It is a horror show, and I want to warn everyone about this problem so that you do not make such a mistake.

Every one of our mounting holes on every spike, 884, fuse panel and the robot controller itself are GONE and the sides of all of these pieces are literally falling off. (oh the humanity!)

We sit here almost in tears, only two days from ship at about midnight......with a $1300 order into Innovation First (and another $70 for a maxi-fuse block) all shipping by Priority FEDEX.

Thank god we get to keep our robot controller with us after we ship the robot.

So, please take this warning.....learn from our horrible misfortune.....ALWAYS READ the WARNING LABEL!

-Quentin
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 12:02 AM
AKA: Aaron Bradshaw
#0900 (Team Infinity)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
aaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to aaronbr28040
Re: Serious thermoplastic problems!!!

I wish you the best of luck in getting your robot back to going. One question though, what type of loctite did you use (red-permanent, blue, etc) or does this matter? I was just wondering as we used loctite on our screws and everything was fine.
-Aaron
AIM:aaronbr28040

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 12:19 AM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbr28040
I wish you the best of luck in getting your robot back to going. One question though, what type of loctite did you use (red-permanent, blue, etc) or does this matter? I was just wondering as we used loctite on our screws and everything was fine.
-Aaron

I believe we used BLUE loctite 242 (medium strength threadlocker?).

It clearly has a warning about harming some thermoplastics. We did use it liberally, so you are probably fine if you didn't get mass quantities on the plastics themselves.

We are now in the process of stripping off all 7 Victors, and two SPIKEs. It also destroyed our 40 Amp Fuse Holder. (another senseless thermoplastic victim of loctite)

Thanks for wishing us luck.....I appreciate it. (and of any team in the New England area has an extra Victor 884 we can borrow, please email me at bigqueue_qlewis@yahoo.com or send me an alphanumeric message on my pager at: 8008259611@timex.skytel.com . We have 7 Victors on order, but they will not arrive until Thursday at the earliest!)

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Quentin

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

do your parts still work? You can mount them with velcro temporarily so you can continue testing.

Be aware of using loctite on lexan also. It won't melt it, but it will make it more brittle and prone to shattering.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 04:50 PM

n1zyy is on a distinguished road

Thanks a ton to Team 166 who were able to loan us a couple of 884s to finish up testing our robot. The rest of the parts should arrive tomorrow, averting tragedy.

Here are a few pictures; maybe they'll remind someone not to apply LocTite liberally on the controllers. (In hindsight, things might have been okay if we had applied them to the screw threads as we were instructed; someone, in the interest of time, tried to just pour it in the holes.)

Last edited by n1zyy : 02-25-2004 at 04:53 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 05:05 PM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

omg, wow thats awful. if you need anything let me know, i have 2 victor 883's things get desperate

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

i am amazed...the chemical reaction that must have occured astounds me...how long did this take from the time you put the loctite on?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Programming Wizard and Team Captain
AKA: Steven Schlansker
FRC #0114 (Eaglestrike)
Team Role: Programmer

steven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to steven114

One word: Wow!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 03:34 AM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Needel
i am amazed...the chemical reaction that must have occured astounds me...how long did this take from the time you put the loctite on?

It took about an hour....perhaps two tops. (before we noticed the destruction happening)

-Quentin
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Team 1009 - Engineer
AKA: Jedi Master Talyn
None #1009 (Vikings)

Rookie Year: 2003
Nick R. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nick R.

try to use the covers from last year spikes and victors and if that doesnt work... industrial strength velcro would hold it in place for a while...
Good Luck!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2004, 01:18 PM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick R.
try to use the covers from last year spikes and victors and if that doesnt work... industrial strength velcro would hold it in place for a while...
Good Luck!

Yes, we did receive help from several local teams, and finally received our new Robot controller and 40A fuse blocks. We still have to replace those, but we are well on our way back to normal operation.

Thanks much to the Merrimac and Hudson teams!!!!!

-Quentin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: