Go to Post I wonder if the GDC had his extraordinary achievements in mind for the 2012 game. - MagiChau [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:12 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
pic: The Bobcats 2001 & 2003 & Admirers

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Alumni fly-tackle bait
None #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

EvanG will become famous soon enoughEvanG will become famous soon enough
Re: pic: The Bobcats 2001 & 2003 & Admirers

So John V N, tell me now... where'd you get the arm idea? It certainly wasn't rage. Us "Bob-kittens" certainly know how to make an arm, and we arent even cats yet... So if you're copying us, what does that make your team, "simple addition by zero?" =P

We have some people going up to NH, i'll tell them to stop by and check out your good work. I like your arm, even if it does remind me of someone else's. =D As we all know being able to inspire someone, is always the best form of flattery.

Last edited by EvanG : 02-26-2004 at 05:50 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

I think Team 60 would put up a challenge for the best arms.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Anyone using Scrum/Kanban for FRC?
FRC #4293 (Komodo)

Rookie Year: 2001
Joel Glidden is a glorious beacon of lightJoel Glidden is a glorious beacon of lightJoel Glidden is a glorious beacon of lightJoel Glidden is a glorious beacon of lightJoel Glidden is a glorious beacon of light

I'll have to see it in action, but right now I'd say team 25 has a lock on "best arm".
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Totally Sweet... Man
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

David Bridge will become famous soon enoughDavid Bridge will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to David Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Glidden
I'll have to see it in action, but right now I'd say team 25 has a lock on "best arm".
Yeah their arm does look pretty beefy, I guess thats what happens when you use 3 times the mechanisms and 4 times the weight... oh well... luckily the bobcats aren't looking to challenge for best arm this year, we will only be using it to perform 2 of the 5 things we plan on being able to do
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanG
So John V N, tell me now... where'd you get the arm idea?
Haha, wow...
Seriously though -- our arm was inspired by lots of different designs, though since our team leader is a 177 alumni you could make a strong argument the design has been influenced by bobcat-history.

You did catch us, the claw design was partially inspired by RAGE 2003.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler

Everyone looks at these robots, and only sees the arm, and assumes the other may have "copied" the design.

Look at Clarkson's robot, look at Rage's robot, Bobcats.... they are all completely different from the bobcats. Different drivetrain, different end effectors, radically different frame designs. Each of these robots are marvels of engineering in their own right.

173, what can i say... you guys know how to build a fast and agressive robot.... and beleive it or not, beneath that awesome red paint is a wood frame.... who would have thought that wood would be so great in FIRST.

229, your shifters last year worked amazingly, and you guys area always improving your designs. I look at that frame you have this year, and i say 2 things.... first, where is the mothers wax?... and second.... "wow".... John showed me the plans for the bot back before any parts were built, and i said to myself, if the real bot looks as great as the plans look, he's going to have a really competitive robot, and i think he does.

177, i think i can say without a doubt that "we" started the polished aluminum arm craze in the Connecticut River Valley. The first year we had an arm was in 97.... 98 and 99 we followed with similar designs, 2001 and 2003 we were back at it again, and i hear the 2004 bobcat will have another arm... there's a lot of surface area on those arms... hope you guys are ready to polish...

Even though robots may look the same, there is never two identical bots, (unless you look at 60 and 254 )-- look deeper into these robot designs than just "hey you stole our arm", there is always more to see beneath the lexan coverings of these robots!

Best of luck, can't wait to see you guys compete!

Tom Schindler
2010-? - AIR Strike (Team #78)
2007-2009- Rhode Warriors (Team #121)
2003 - Team #190
1997-2002 - Bobcat Robotics (Team #177)
http://www.tomschindler.net
http://www.drivexc.com

Last edited by Tom Schindler : 02-26-2004 at 11:35 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)

Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace

hey, did anyone care to mention that fact that 229 KIDNAPPED the main driver of rage from last year? hmmmmmmmmmmm........................I bet they have joel tied up in some dark corner until they get all of the secrets out of him..........

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)

Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace

fear the playwood, for it is god incarnate.

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2004, 10:40 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

I still have to say that the 2001 Bobcat robot is on my top 5 favorite list!!

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2004, 10:42 PM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team

Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross
I think Team 60 would put up a challenge for the best arms.

or 254??!?! or 60b???!?? or 254b!?!??!

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:03 PM
n.e.r.d #6
FRC #3780 (Robot Unicorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Jon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanG
So John V N, tell me now... where'd you get the arm idea? It certainly wasn't rage. Us "Bob-kittens" certainly know how to make an arm, and we arent even cats yet... So if you're copying us, what does that make your team, "simple addition by zero?" =P

We have some people going up to NH, i'll tell them to stop by and check out your good work. I like your arm, even if it does remind me of someone else's. =D As we all know being able to inspire someone, is always the best form of flattery.
We may have used arms last year but correct me if I'm wrong, You guys have wood rollers and green tubing for ball spitting this year. (I am thinking back to 2000, 2002, 2004, and a whole lot of other years that I am not sure of what year.)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bridge
Yeah their arm does look pretty beefy, I guess thats what happens when you use 3 times the mechanisms and 4 times the weight... oh well... luckily the bobcats aren't looking to challenge for best arm this year, we will only be using it to perform 2 of the 5 things we plan on being able to do
you would be suprised at how much our arms weigh in at, in 2000 the arm only weighed about 22 lbs motors, and wires included i am not sure about this years arm, i would have to ask one of the kids ( i am just a crazy scout/strategy guy )

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
hey, did anyone care to mention that fact that 229 KIDNAPPED the main driver of rage from last year? hmmmmmmmmmmm........................I bet they have joel tied up in some dark corner until they get all of the secrets out of him..........
Actually, and you can ask Joel this... we've been treating him very well!
http://www.team229.org/photo/single/2758
http://www.team229.org/photo/single/2756

Gotta keep the programmer happy. He's the man behind the machine.
The secret to our automode. Some teams have fancy sensors, we have Joel.

He told me over and over again to build a wood robot, but we just kept resisting. I think overall he's happy with the system we've got... well... he can't stop smiling about it. Right Joel?

Also the website rocks.

Overall... Joel is just the man.
I dunno where we'd be without him.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:39 PM
do you..
no team

Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN
Actually, and you can ask Joel this... we've been treating him very well!
http://www.team229.org/photo/single/2758
http://www.team229.org/photo/single/2756

Gotta keep the programmer happy. He's the man behind the machine.
The secret to our automode. Some teams have fancy sensors, we have Joel.

He told me over and over again to build a wood robot, but we just kept resisting. I think overall he's happy with the system we've got... well... he can't stop smiling about it. Right Joel?

Also the website rocks.

Overall... Joel is just the man.
I dunno where we'd be without him.
Hey, thanks. Yes, its true, life on 229 has been good. I'm usually surrounded by good people that create a positive environment in which I can work comfortably. No complaints. I miss my driving days, though, but I guess I had to let go sometime. RAGE '04, make me proud . RAGE 04 + Division 04 would make me even more proud . Again, thanks for the compliments. Have a great season.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: