OCCRA
Go to Post This easy world of friends, of people that you can talk to for hours on end without knowing one another? That's FIRST. - Keith Chester [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Travis Covington's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Travis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Travis Covington
Team 968's technokat inspired 4 speed tranny

Well, I promised some of you that I would post these pictures after the robot shipped. So here they are!

This design is inspired by Andy Baker and Team 45, who we thank very much for releasing their design for all to use.

Some of you know that we made a version of the Technokats 2002 tranny last year that resembled their 2003 tranny very much. This is a combination of their 2003 tranny with our modifications we implemented last year.

That's right, 4 speeds. The first stage is a 4:1 reduction. It is linked by 2 sprockets and chain to a second stage with a reduction of 2:1. From this we get 16fps, 8fps, 4fps, and 2 fps (with a significant efficiency loss). We understand that this is excessive, but we wanted to do something different.

Both gearboxes, pistons, motors, and flex couplings weigh ~12.5lbs.

Again, we really want to send our thanks to Andy Baker and team 45, Dave Lavery and Team 116, Team 190, and all those other teams who have posted designs. Our team (and I am sure lots of others) appreciate your willingness to share these designs. It really strengthens the FIRST community and helps further future advancements in robot design.

Please feel free to ask any question that you may have.

2008-2015 - Engineering Mentor of Team 254
2001-2008 - Engineering Mentor of Team 968
1998-2001 - Mechanical Director/Driver/Member of Team 115

Last edited by Travis Covington : 02-29-2004 at 05:19 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Why wait for the last 20?
AKA: Henry B. Sick
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
henryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to henryBsick
Re: Team 968's technokat inspired 4 speed tranny

Nice,
really looks great. I am glad to see one FIRST teem learning from another. The trany looks sweet. One question though, do you shift on the fly, or is it stop and go?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254

Travis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_222
One question though, do you shift on the fly, or is it stop and go?
On the fly.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Wow. This is amazing. Great job to team 968 and especially Travis Covington for "raising the bar".

Andy B.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:55 AM
Melodious Footware
AKA: *Crash!* Shuuuuuuuuuuuu
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Shu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Shu Song

sweeeeet, i can't get my eyes off of it... AndI thought our gear box looked nice...

WINNER of the 2005 Finger Lakes Regional, thanks to teams 191 and 494.
WINNER of the 2004 Canadian Regional, thanks to teams 33 and 1112
WINNER of Delphi: Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award at the 2007 Finger Lakes Regional.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Melodious Footware
AKA: *Crash!* Shuuuuuuuuuuuu
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Shu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Shu Song

oops, been admiring it so long, i forgot to congratulate you guys.

WINNER of the 2005 Finger Lakes Regional, thanks to teams 191 and 494.
WINNER of the 2004 Canadian Regional, thanks to teams 33 and 1112
WINNER of Delphi: Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award at the 2007 Finger Lakes Regional.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-29-2004, 03:57 PM
X51 Production Company PGM (TM)
no team

Veselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond reputeVeselin Kolev has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... thats gonna be one dangerous robot...
Your 2003 'bot was really fast AND really strong, so I'm gonna have to watch out even more, now that you have FOUR speeds. It looks mighty impressive.

Team 968 robots have always been of high quality. Another thing that is always impressive about your robots, they always seem to be empty. As in, all the electronics, pneumatics, and cabling are VERY organized. Especially with this year, since you have so many pneumatics, it was a great challenge to keep it looking nice.

Looks beautiful, hope to see you soon at regionals!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - that is gorgeous! You have done a great job of taking things to the "next level."

Wait a minute. Four gears, huh? What, no "overdrive"?

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 02:59 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

that is one nice looking tranny setup. thats pretty fast for a robot 16fps. i hope you get to where your going :-)

Did you guys implement this for the 2004 robot as well or you have something better / close to what you have posted.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254

This tranny is on the 2004 robot. Last years tranny was a modified 2002 technokat tranny as well (which resembled their 2003 tranny after we were done modifying it)

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 09:28 AM
#0060 (Bionic Bulldogs)

Glenn has a spectacular aura aboutGlenn has a spectacular aura aboutGlenn has a spectacular aura about

Great job guys nice looking gear box
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Engineer
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)

Andy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Good luck at your comps, 2 fps, no one will stop you!

Please consider posting a white paper on your design and/or improvements. The flow of information on what works and does not is important.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Covington
We understand that this is excessive, but we wanted to do something different.
Congratulations on being skilled and brave enough to attempt such an innovative design. It's very easy to go with tried, tested and true designs (I for one am a very strong proponent of this approach) and ignore the possibility of innovation. I admire any team with the courage to go out build something "excessive". Designs like this one help further the future designs of all FIRST teams. Thanks for inspiring and taking things to the next level.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: