OCCRA
Go to Post Robotics = my anti drug. - Queen_of_Mascot [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:16 PM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute
Quickest 2 mins in first

I was talking to a few teams and this year the 2 mins just do not seem long enough. Maybe it is because of all the tasks there are this year but this game i think need to be played in 2:30 rounds.

shaun team 25
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel
Re: Quickest 2 mins in first

i don;t think that first should make this 2:30 but i think that more teams need to focus on 1 task and do it everytime other then trying a little of this and a little of that....i would hate to be a driver this year because of that fact
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:23 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

I feel 2 minutes are way too less. We definately need some more time. The game might be much more intresting that way in my eyes.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
KyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant future

I highly highly doubt FIRST is going to change the times of the matches since the season has already started.

I'm sure the 2 minutes will be just fine, you just have to let people and robots get used to the time and to how their robot operates...geeze its only the first day of competitions....
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:31 PM
AKA: Brian R. Goegan I
#0064 (Gila Monsters)
Team Role: Driver

nerdcool64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nerdcool64

I agree, at our scrimmage 2 minutes was nothing. But I look at it as another challenge that we need to overcome.

2004 Galileo Division Semifinalist (Thanks Teams 222 and 1405)
2004 Colorado Regional 3rd Seed
2004 Colorado Regional Imagery Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

I'll add my two cents and say that if FIRST increases match time they will probably have to add another day onto some of these competitions at some point since more and more teams are competing every year.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:57 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

maybe you are looking at the game like you should get all the loose balls in the goals, and cap the goals, and then hang on the bar

think of it more as a 'target rich environment'

you have plenty of options on ways to score points - decide what your bot does best and focus on doing that

we did some analysis in the first days after the kickoff, and it indicates the average score should be around 100 points for the winning team - it will be interesting to see it that turns out to be correct

but if so, if you can get ten or 11 balls in one goal, and cap it - thats 110 points and you should win most of your matches.

will be interesting to watch the games online tomorrow and see how this years game pans out (where the nuggets of gold lie)?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsyl
I was talking to a few teams and this year the 2 mins just do not seem long enough. Maybe it is because of all the tasks there are this year but this game i think need to be played in 2:30 rounds.

shaun team 25
Well. Considering there is a 15 seconds autonomous mode, the real match time is really 1:45. Looking back at 2000, if the game was 1:45 min, it would've been a little too short. In my opinion, it should be 15 secs autonomous mode and 2 mins driver time, because I feel that the matches are too short for teams to do things.

With 1:45 min, I can see a robot get a big ball, and go hang, or push small balls into human player chute, and hang. With 2 mins, teams can do 2 of the following: control mobile goal, get big ball and cap, push small balls to human player, or defend the steps. Right now, the match is so short that there aren't many defense going on. Everyone is trying to finish that 1 task and go hang.

On the other hand, it is going to take a long time to reset a match. Considering it takes 2 mins a match, 1 minutes of counting score, 1.5 mins of taking robot off the bar and clearing the field, 1.5 mins of reseting balls and setting up robots for next match, that is a 6 mins cycle already. Not to mention it won't be so smooth on the first day. 5 mins is the standard match cycle last year, 7 is what we used at off season when people weren't trained. I would be really worried to see 7 min match cycle through out the season.

So. Would a little longer match be fun? Maybe. Is it realistic to change the match length? Not really. Could it be something to be brought up at the next team forum? Most definitely.

1999-2001: Team 192 Gunn Robotics Team
2001-2002: Team 100, 192, 258, 419
2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
2003-2004, 2006-2007: California Robot Games Manager
2008: MC in training @ Sac, CalGames
2009: Master of Ceremony @ Sac, CalGames
2010: GA in training @ SVR, Sac.
2010-2011: Mechanical Mentor, Team 115 MVRT
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:09 PM
AKA: Eric Bredehoeft
FRC #1018 (Robodevils)

ebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ebmonon36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Leung
Well. Considering there is a 15 seconds autonomous mode, the real match time is really 1:45. Looking back at 2000, if the game was 1:45 min, it would've been a little too short. In my opinion, it should be 15 secs autonomous mode and 2 mins driver time, because I feel that the matches are too short for teams to do things.
I like having the 15 seconds autonomous and the 1:45 drive time. It forces teams who want to do a lot to use that autonomous time wisely and really think about what they are going to do during that time. Then the team must be able to determine what to do to win the match in the 1:45 left. It keeps teams on their feet. These 2 minutes aren't supposed to be a cakewalk. I think FIRST wants us to struggle with getting things done in the 2 minutes. It's kind of like build season...It's long enough to get a bot running and a function to work, but if you want to do more, it can be a struggle to get it done.
Eric
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:44 PM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team

Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

one thing i noticed about the BAE one...

they only gave us like 1:20 seconds for practice matches. that was pretty short for all the tasks we had to do...

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:47 PM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team

Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H 237
I'll add my two cents and say that if FIRST increases match time they will probably have to add another day onto some of these competitions at some point since more and more teams are competing every year.

If they set the time to 2:15, that would run auto. and then have 2 minutes for the drivers to tool w/ their machines...it would increase the day, but probably give teams that extra few precious secconds to hang, score balls, or do whatever it is they do, i think this should be looked into.

ps. w/ my $.02 worth, we'll have 4 cents!

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2004, 01:34 AM
Belphegor made me do it.
#0108 (SigmaC@t)

Mark Hamilton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hamilton Send a message via AIM to Mark Hamilton

The 2 minute rounds are part of the challenge. If you work out a strategy before hand, you can get a lot done in 2 minutes. I like the time limit because it really shows who put in the extra time and effort training and strategizing to make the most of their time. Besides, if you think 2:00 min. is bad, think back to the pressure on drive teams in 2000 with the time multipliers. Adding time onto the match won't solve the time crunch, it will just mean you will be expected to get even more done, and before you know it 2:30 or 3:00 will seem too short.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2004, 06:56 AM
This Space For Sale
AKA: Anthony Mangia
#1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Scout

Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Aignam Send a message via Yahoo to Aignam

There is alot to be done this year, and the field starts to look cluttered after awhile. I guess this is part of the challenge, though, and we'll utilize our robot's strengths, our partner's strengths, and our autonomous modes to get everything done that we intend to.

Aignam. Pronounced A-Num. Mangia backwards.

NJFIRST.org | Best Thread. Ever.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Battle Cattle!
#1466 (Webb Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

kacz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kacz100 Send a message via Yahoo to kacz100

All think 2:00mins is fine I mean check out the videos on www.wildstang.org for 2001 the "710 points"....all in 55 secs? I think people just need to get use to the game.

Team #40 Alumni 1999 - 2002
Team #885 College Student/Mentor 2003
Team #1466 College Student/Mentor 2004
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2004, 04:38 AM
It's a Bird
AKA: BoogyShoes
FRC #1492 (Team Caution)

Eric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Eric Bareiss

I think that the 10 minute practice matches that we had pre-2003 were nice, because you could practice doing things over and over, and you could send people out onto the field to reset it and try it again, it was much more laid back. They gave you time to really figure out what was wrong when something happened. It was especially nice for the human players because they could attempt 60 or so shots in 10 minutes instead of 6.

PS: I don't think they should ever change the regular match time to more than 2:00, if you can't get it done in 2 min you shouldn't be trying to do it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: