OCCRA
Go to Post Oh great, look what you just did. The GDC will probably find ways to use this to torture teams in 2011. I hope you're happy now. - synth3tk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization > Finding A Team
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1996
Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
Finding new teams

I seem to have more experience finding new teams than most people, so I'll tell my experiences.

I was with Team 45, TechnoKats for about seven years while working with Delphi in Kokomo, Indiana. Then I was offered, and accepted an early retirement. Since I don't really like cold and snow, I have become a "snow bird" in Florida. I wanted to continue working with a FIRST team, so this is what I did:

My first "winter home" was in central Florida, about 10 miles west of Disney Orlando. I looked over the team lists on the FIRST web site and picked out some nearby teams that I might want to work with. I wrote a short resume/letter of introduction and sent it to a few teams. I obtained contact information for some teams from their team web sites, and got my letter forwarded to other teams through FIRST. It turned out that FIRST keeps contact information "secret" and was not particularly helpful in my search, but I got it done. One of my letters went to Andy Knutson who was a coordinator for Disney teams, and he provided contact information for Team 1062, a rookie team in Celebration. I worked with that team last year. While we had few resources, we had a good core group and it was a good experience.

Fast forward about half a year--I took a mini-vacation to the Cocoa Beach area, and it was obvious to me that I'd really rather be near the coast. I sold my place in central FL, bought a condo in Cape Canaveral, and was again searching for a team. I contacted two teams, both of which were very receptive to having another person with FIRST experience on their team. I have joined Team 233. Our pink beast is in its crate, and I'm look forward to our soon-to-begin competition season consisting of the UCF and NYC regionals, and the national event. I don't plan on moving again anytime soon, and plan to work with this team for years to come.

My experience in finding teams can be summarized this way. If you have FIRST experience, especially with an established team like Team 45, other teams will be more than happy to welcome you and put you to work.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0233 (roccobot)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
mrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud of
Re: Finding new teams

and we are VERY glad that you decided to join the REAL MEN WEAR PINK team. it's been great so far and the best is yet to come. 2 more days...
Off-Season: IRI, Mayhem, Robot Rodeo, TNT, Panther Prowl

Real Men Wear Pink
Check out www.roccobotics.com
Please visit www.thepinkteam.org
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Kit,

We miss you, man. Your experience is very valuable. Not too many people can say that they have been in this FIRST journey as long as you have.

Kudos to 233 for getting Kit as a Pink team-er.

Andy B.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2004, 02:47 PM

PinkPunk233 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Finding new teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. p
and we are VERY glad that you decided to join the REAL MEN WEAR PINK team. it's been great so far...

Kit, you've been an asset to OUR PINK TEAM!!

You stepped up to bat and definitely hit a homerun... Wait... scratch that...
you stepped up to the platform, and definitely grabbed the bar.

Yeah, that's much better.

THanks for a great year, and be ready to party hardy in Atlanta.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Follow me on Twitter: @GabeSalas
AKA: CrazyBear
FRC #0233

Rookie Year: 2002
Gabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Gabe Salas Jr.

Kit is one of the coolest guys I know. He has been involved with FIRST for a long time. His dedication and input has really helped the PINK team. A definite candidate for the Woodie Flowers Award, or at least an Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nationals is going to be a lot of fun! Atlanta or bust!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")

Rookie Year: 1996
Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
Smile Re: Finding new teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPunk233
Kit, you've been an asset to OUR PINK TEAM!!

You stepped up to bat and definitely hit a homerun... Wait... scratch that...
you stepped up to the platform, and definitely grabbed the bar.

Yeah, that's much better.
I can't jump high enough to grab the bar, but I can touch it from the platform.
On a more serious note, I really enjoy working with the PINK team, and appreciate the compliments from the team members who have posted.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2004, 10:55 PM
College Mentor of d00m!
AKA: Jared
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2000
Figment has a spectacular aura aboutFigment has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Figment
Talking Re: Finding new teams

I'm definitely glad you found our team Kit. If it weren't for you, I'd have never found a boxing partner in New York . I hope we get to have some more fun in Atlanta and hopefully bring home the gold too.

See ya there!

_______
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Scott Ritchie's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
AKA: Fat Man in a Little Coat
FRC #3947
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 1997
Scott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Scott Ritchie

I wish he had added one number to the team list and joined 233 +1 but maybe Indianapolis wasn't far enough south for him.

"Before I'd get in the ring, I'd have already won or lost it on the road. The real part is won or lost somewhere far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." -- Muhammad Ali
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Kit is still a TechnoKat. He is just "acting" like he is on the Pink team. You see, we TechnoKats targeted team 233 as one of those "powerhouse" teams that everyone wants to beat. We sent Kit down there, acting like he retired from Delphi and was looking for a new team to be on. Kit is our "spy". Next year, we are sending him out west. Maybe he'll be a Cheesy Poof or a Beach Bot... we shall see.

Our plan is coming together. When we meet 233 in the finals in Atlanta, Kit will show his true colors and put on the ol' blue and red. I even hear that he's gonna paint his face like DJ.

Andy B.

/edit... oh, shoot... did I think this or actually type it?/

Last edited by Andy Baker : 04-13-2004 at 11:08 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: