OCCRA
Go to Post Just because we don't cheer, doesn't mean we don't have fun. ;) - JVN [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Chicken or the Egg (chairman's award)

My mom and I were talking, and I said something to the effect of "The teams that normally win the chairman's have robots that do well" meaning that having good robots gets them noticed and that's why they can win the chairmans above other teams that the judges hadn't heard of.

My mom replied to that with something along the lines of "The teams win chairmans awards because the have built the infrastructure needed to build good robots"

So which one is it, anyone have any thoughts?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:23 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Re: Chicken or the Egg (chairman's award)

I believe that it's #2. Anyone can build a good robot, but if a team has an infrastructure that is successful enough to support themselves and other teams, and the community around them, I believe it leads to them having the ability to construct a good robot.

Cory
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:25 PM
The Fifth
AKA: Mike Boehl
#0066 (Flyers)
Team Role: Programmer

Crop-Circles has a spectacular aura aboutCrop-Circles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Crop-Circles

The chairmans award is not about the robot. FIRST looks at your overall team when evaluating you for this award. If your team has that strong infrastructure, then you will usually have a good bot.
Rule #1: Fix any and all problems with duct tape and/or zip-ties.
Rule #2: Always respect the authority of the conch.
Rule #3: Goto 20
Rule #4: Don't touch the hair.
Rule #5: (see rule #4)
Rule #6: Never call us the robotics club. We are a team, NOT a club.
Rule #7: The power of the fuzzy compels you.
Rule #8: Show EARL and CHARLIE the respect they deserve.
Rule #9: If it starts glowing, don't touch it.
Rule #10: Gracious Professionalism is a balance. Never leave home without it.

Break any of the above rules and you will be FIRED!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

I can definitely see both sides of it but personally I'll lean towards the infrastructure. With good infrastructure not only can you build good robots but you also have the infrastructure to do a good chairmans award.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Good Luck Teams!
AKA: Tyler Wetzel
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
tkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tkwetzel

That is an interesting question which I doubt has a solid answer. I believe that it could happen both ways. I believe that some teams probably just work well as a team and do many things together that goes into chairman's so when it comes time to build the robot, they work effectively and effiently as a team. Although some teams may win by being noticed with a good robot. I don't think I have the experience or background to say which happens more, but I do believe that either is very possible for any winning team.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Forward.
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think that they are technically mutually exclusive, but historically are coorelated.

Good robots can theoretically come out of any team situation, whether good or bad...I've personally seen it happen both ways; and an infrastructurically sound team could totally miss the mark one year and build a robot that may be cool, but really doesn't cut it in competition.

I think the historical coorelation stands because judges like to see the Chairman's as a package deal: along with building a great robot team X also built a great organization (that has 6 hundred FLL teams, hosts three off season comps, cures Cancer, and makes a swell Reuben ). Though, I dont think that because team X has a good robot they are looked at more by the judges...I think the submission comes first, but a solid robot definitely adds to the score later on.
Advisor, NE FIRST

Last edited by Jessica Boucher : 03-21-2004 at 10:05 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Eggs?! Mmmmmmmmm......... liquid chickens!

you gotta have a sound team to create a winning machine.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
School=Build Season YAY
AKA: Mary
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Marygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Marygrace Send a message via Yahoo to Marygrace

Personally, I don't think the Chairman's Award has anything to do with the robot.

Q: What are u supposed to convey when you apply for the Chairmans Award?

A: Your contribution to the awareness of FIRST in the community. By going out and doing exhibitions, getting robotics threaded into your school. Just do your part in spreading this amzing phenomenom know as FIRST. Mentoring Lego League teams, training for the high school robotics teams.

Also I believe a big part of the Chairmans Award is your team conveying this little thing known as Gracious Professionalism, which I am certain everyone in FIRST has heard of. Helping other teams when they have problems, mentoring, offering a place for them to practice, helping them fundraise, help them with problems they might be having with their school, etc.

Whether or not you end up with a good robot does not decifer whether or not you win the Chairmans award, the actual competition and the award are two completely different things.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we've never won a regional before in 13 years of existence but we have won the Chairman's award twice. So to get the award is more about how good are you at executing the virtues of FIRST not how well your robot runs in competition.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 10:00 PM
FRC #0547 (F.E.A.R (Falcon Engineering And Robotics))

Rookie Year: 2001
Mike Rozar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher
I honestly think that they are technically mutually exclusive, but historically are coorelated.
Having just won Chairman's at St. Louis, I believe robot and infrastructure are separated fairly well. Our robot this year is not as great as our team. Our team won the award. As one of the judges told our students, "...not all awards are won by robots".

2001 VCU Rookie All Star
2001 National Rookie All Star
2002 KSC Delphi Driving Tomorrows Technolgy
2002 Newton Quarter Finalist
2003 St. Louis GM Industrial Design
2003 Archimedes Finalist (47, 201, 547)
2004 St. Louis Chairman's Award
2005 Gret Lakes Judges Award
2006 St. Louis Winner (547, 71, 537)
...and the journey continues
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Forward.
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

A solid robot does not = regional win. With alliances, a great robot may be overlooked, or can be knocked out by a better pairing of teams.

This is also my reasoning for the technical awards....because things happen, awesome robots don't always win regionals because of other reasons, but are still awesome robots in their own right.
Advisor, NE FIRST

Last edited by Jessica Boucher : 03-21-2004 at 10:03 PM. Reason: because my grammar inhales audibly.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller

Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed
Well, we've never won a regional before in 13 years of existence but we have won the Chairman's award twice. So to get the award is more about how good are you at executing the virtues of FIRST not how well your robot runs in competition.
That's my opinion.

Our 2001 national robot didn't have a chairman worthy team behind it at all.

South High rookies last year won SCRRF Practice competition - in their first year.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller

Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rozar
As one of the judges told our students, "...not all awards are won by robots".
*BIG GRIN*

At Phoenix Regional emcee saw team member Breanne outside painting our team's Gracious Professionalism trophy most of the day, and was so impressed realizing "this is so much more than about building robots" that he invited reps from our team to give the award out in the opening ceremonies on Saturday. That emcee gets it.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Jokes
*BIG GRIN*

At Phoenix Regional emcee saw team member Breanne outside painting our team's Gracious Professionalism trophy most of the day, and was so impressed realizing "this is so much more than about building robots" that he invited reps from our team to give the award out in the opening ceremonies on Saturday. That emcee gets it.
Now if only this could be put at the forefront of the competitions so when a media outlet actually bothers to show up and do a story about FIRST they are not just talking about the robots only and thus FIRSt would be cast in a light as something more than just a smart battlebots competition.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Doctor to be
AKA: Ali Ahmed
FRC #0004 (Team 4 ELEMENT)

ali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ali_rockon22

The Chairman's Award has nothing really to do with the robot. I mean when we won it in 2001 our robot was not all that good, but you do need a very goog infrastructure to get The Award.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: