Go to Post I think sportsmanship is only one facet of the gp diamond. - Redhead Jokes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Doctor to be
AKA: Ali Ahmed
FRC #0004 (Team 4 ELEMENT)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
ali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ali_rockon22
Re: Where's the defense this year?

Defense only comes in handy in the finals, but is qualifying, offsense works preety good. Some teams got smart, like 330, and would roll along the bar to defend it. This was very helpful during finals. Thanks 330. But defense is always the best offense.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2004, 05:35 AM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

Since we can't hang we sitck to our simple game plan the small goal. And we will defend that small goal at all cost. But if both opponets can hang then we use our plow to prevent them from getting on the platform. unless we want them to get on the bar and add 50 pts to our score if we know we have more points and our alliance is on the bar.
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:21 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my one liner:

"Defense wins championships"

Don't be too hard on yourself,Mike Soukup, we tried playing defense against 45 when it came to the big ball in eliminations and they would just "Air Jordan" over us to score. All 3 of our matches against them came down to stopping their big ball cap and we only succeeded one time. Look at QF3 match 2 on SOAP to see the air Jordan.

In this year's game you must do what you need to do (within the rules & GP) to win. Sometimes that is high scoring, sometimes that is defense. It applies for both qualifications and eliminations.

-Paul
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli
Here's my one liner:

"Defense wins championships"

Don't be too hard on yourself,Mike Soukup, we tried playing defense against 45 when it came to the big ball in eliminations and they would just "Air Jordan" over us to score. All 3 of our matches against them came down to stopping their big ball cap and we only succeeded one time. Look at QF3 match 2 on SOAP to see the air Jordan.

In this year's game you must do what you need to do (within the rules & GP) to win. Sometimes that is high scoring, sometimes that is defense. It applies for both qualifications and eliminations.

-Paul
Paul, it was QF3, match 3.

Andy B.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:21 PM
AKA: Jeff
#0067 (Hot Team)
Team Role: Human Player

lagoonfreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lagoonfreeze

iI noticed the same thing when my team was on the field they spent all their time trying to block us insted of scoring but if they didnt block us we would just take their points from them so i dont know why they cant come up with a strategy where they do both score and defend
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker
You are crazy. This is ridiculus. There is noooo reason to play defense in this year's game. None. Just let those ball scoring teams do what they want.

"... these are not the droids you are looking for."
What?
Who are you, and what have you done with Andy Baker?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9764
"In my experience, it is really fun to play defense really well."

Ahh the irony. The defensive powerhouse becomes the offensive team everyone is gunning for. Score on.

The revenge of TKO!
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:17 PM
no team (FIRST)

Rookie Year: 2002
Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Collin Fultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli

-Paul
i would have to agree with paul. 234 found out in Chicago that we had the ability to be a defense machine. it was kind of exciting. because of our defense we were the only alliance to beat RUSH (27) in the prelims...as well as a few other notable teams. this hurt us a little I think because of a lack of loser points...but in the end...your ranking points don't mean anything unless you win the match.

I now have a twitter, apparently I am the latter...

http://www.twitter.com/iluvcollinfultz

Collin Fultz
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:51 PM
rourke's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Father of the Triplets
AKA: Stephen Rourke
FRC #1114 (Simbotics), 1503 (Spartonics), & 1680 (FESStronics)
Team Role: Mentor

rourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the Regionals and webcasts I've observed so far this year, I believe that the "underdog" alliances have a better chance of winning if they approach their alliance selections more "defensively" (which is why I started the thread in the first place).

If you are a 4th through 8th place seeded team, don't select a 3rd partner that has demonstrated hanging potential only 50% of the time. Select a partner that can play defense 100% of the time - with the intention of disrupting your opponents' game plan and giving you a better chance of winning the SECOND match of your round! Then, who knows what might happen in the rubber match!

Offense wins the first game of the match. Defense the second. Give it your all in the third! May the best alliance win...
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 09:18 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Ryan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the rough

I have a pretty split opinion on this. We were an "underdog team", and I think we, like a lot of the other underdof teams were extemely good at doing a couple of things...just not these all capable super bots. We could knock the ball off in autonomus very well..and hang almost 100%, but in that time inbetween was our oppurtunity to play defence or herd balls. Looking back at some of our videos I think we could have changed our strategy and stayed in the finals by doing defense...but at the same time I wonder if that really would have been possible, because our defense would have consisted of trying to get the other teams not to cap their goals, and they probably could have prevented us from doing that.

So through all this rambeling..I guess the lesson we learned is to really examine what you do best...and stick with that. Don't all of a sudden try to play defense if you started out going for offense. (something we did)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: