Go to Post overly agressive play, sudden torque gains, and signs of robot acne will cause immediate suspicion, and may be used as justification for a complete tear-down inspection - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Who do you want to be elected president in November?
Kerry 62 58.49%
Bush 40 37.74%
Nader 11 10.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 01:50 AM
Do the WAAAAVE!!
#0957 (Watson)
Team Role: Programmer

NotQuiteFree will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to NotQuiteFree
Re: Kerry or Bush and why?

Politics, even though I can't vote, are still one of my favorite things to discuss. For example, when Bush attacked Kerry's voting history, he claimed that Kerry had voted down bills that would have given our troops better body armor. Fortunately, most Americans understand the legislative voting procedeure. For those who don't, however, let me give you a crash-course. When a bill comes into the Senate, it is announced and voted on in one of three ways. A flaw in this system is that either the entire bill is passed, or the entire bill heads back to committee. The bills that Kerry voted down might have been for armor, but attached to the end of that bill may have been something like, "...Oh, yeah, and give Haliburton A TRILLION DOLLARS!!" Which, morally, Kerry couldn't vote for. So, he was stuck between a rock and a hard spot. Furthermore, if the bill was voted down, that means that Kerry was not the only person to vote against it, but he voted along with the majority of senators. So, does that mean that the Senate wants to see our troops die? Of course not; the mere idea is proposterous.

Another thing is Bush's national defence policy. You know, the one about "Preemptive Strikes". This idea rocks me to my core. To me, there is just something so wrong about attacking somebody who has not attacked you. For the effort we have exerted, and all the money we've spent, we are so far behind in Iraq, I just cannot believe it. Bush says we hand over control in...let's see...5 days. I do not believe this is going to happen. Like Kerry, Bush is now between "Iraq and a hard spot". By the way, the hard spot is the rest of the world. Daddy must be so proud.

Needless to say, I suppose: I'd vote for Kerry.

P.S. Michael Moore is the man.
P.S.S. Everyone needs to watch "Bowling for Columbine" and Farenheit 9/11.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Now Lisa Savage
FRC #3182 (Athena's Warriors) and FLL #5950 (GEARS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Perez

Wow. I came across this thread late. Anywho, although I'm not of age, I'd say Kerry all the way. (No explanation because all my arguments have been covered by Kerry supporters in the last few pages and I don't want to be redundant)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand.gif
Views:	41
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	2311  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kerry.gif
Views:	27
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	2312  

Event Coordinator - Hartford District Event
Volunteer Coordinator - Michigan State Championship
Planning Committee Member - New England Championship

Mentor - Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Mentor Emeritus - Team 830, Rat Pack
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dognaux
Doubtful. It seems to me that there are quite a few more posters from the Eastern and North-Eastern part of America, which typically tends to side towards the democrats... no, I think this election will be another close one.
Sadly, the vote will most likely be split. I actually saw a poll a couple weaks ago about whether or not there was a divide in the country, 50% said yes and 50% said no, ironic, eh?

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

I have to say Bush...

Of course, I can't vote.

#65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 03:58 PM
GO IRISH
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Alex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Alex Pelan Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Pelan

I would vote Bush...If I was old enough. My first general election, not even presidential, will be 2008, and who knows what the world situation would be like then, so I'm not speculating. Basically, see Baker's post, as I agree with everything he says there.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 08:02 PM
AKA: snoldak924
#1389 (WWHS Robotics)
Team Role: Webmaster

Sam Oldak is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Sam Oldak

I think we at Chief Delphi should have our own, real vote. Each team gets one(1) electoral vote, decided by the majority on that team. I think this would be a great idea for a project.
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 09:10 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Pierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Pierson

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoldak924
I think we at Chief Delphi should have our own, real vote. Each team gets one(1) electoral vote, decided by the majority on that team. I think this would be a great idea for a project.
Good luck changing the Constitution!

I just can’t bring myself to vote for a guy who used Botox... Sorry…
Join in on these fun threads:
Three Worded Story
Word Association
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Go Bears!

Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute

I have not being able to vote, had I only been born 7 months earlier.

Really I would prefer if Edwards had the nomination, but two terms of Kerry and then two with Edwards will suffice.

#69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoldak924
I can't speak for other teams, but for my part, the thought of my team all managing to agree to vote for the same guy?

Sheesh.

We have enough trouble agreeing on what to build in January. Heck, sometimes that takes till Feburary to figure out.

-Andy A.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Go Bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A.
I can't speak for other teams, but for my part, the thought of my team all managing to agree to vote for the same guy?

Sheesh.

We have enough trouble agreeing on what to build in January. Heck, sometimes that takes till Feburary to figure out.

-Andy A.
Well, the only people on my team I can think of that would REALLY care about an election are myself, my sister and Matt (RudimtaryPeni). I know my sister and go for Kerry, Matt'd probably go for Nader, but he can easily be swayed for Kerry, since Kerry isn't Bush. There, one electoral vote for Kerry.

#71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2004, 08:34 AM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

The trend in this poll so far is interesting. Anyone care to offer a good explanation for why Kerry has a large margin here? (*cough*Kristina*cough*)

Anyways, as much as I'd like to see that happen in the real election, I'm betting the actual margin, regardless of who wins, will be within 5 percentage points. The electorate is so sharply divided that I think it will be that close. Anyone else want to make a bet on this? I've already wagered some baked goods on this with a team member, and I'm up for other offers.

Last edited by Jeff Waegelin : 06-28-2004 at 08:37 AM.
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Perpetually Stunned Speechless
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066
Team Role: Alumni

JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007
Wink Re: Kerry or Bush and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Waegelin
Anyways, as much as I'd like to see that happen in the real election, I'm betting the actual margin, regardless of who wins, will be within 5 percentage points. The electorate is so sharply divided that I think it will be that close. Anyone else want to make a bet on this? I've already wagered some baked goods on this with a team member, and I'm up for other offers.
5 percentage points?
5 percentage points? I really don't think that it will even be that close. How about a good 15%? I say this because 'W' has dug himself a huge hole that soon enough he won't be able to get his self out of it. Farenheight 911, the beheadings in Iraq and the continued chaos there (not to mention Afghanistan), an economy that surely is getting stronger but at the expense of so many middle class jobs, making so many poor. I can't help but feel that this will be an easy victory for Kerry.
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Now Lisa Savage
FRC #3182 (Athena's Warriors) and FLL #5950 (GEARS)
Team Role: Mentor

Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Perez

<knocking on wood> LOL </knocking on wood>

If 573 were to do the electoral thing - I can see Bush winning. I'm pretty much the only liberal on the team.

Oh yeah, and about the poll. I think you might have to consider us youngins who voted there who won't be able to vote in the November elections

Anyone else going to Inauguration?

Event Coordinator - Hartford District Event
Volunteer Coordinator - Michigan State Championship
Planning Committee Member - New England Championship

Mentor - Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Mentor Emeritus - Team 830, Rat Pack
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:18 AM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeXIII'007
5 percentage points?
5 percentage points? I really don't think that it will even be that close. How about a good 15%? I say this because 'W' has dug himself a huge hole that soon enough he won't be able to get his self out of it. Farenheight 911, the beheadings in Iraq and the continued chaos there (not to mention Afghanistan), an economy that surely is getting stronger but at the expense of so many middle class jobs, making so many poor. I can't help but feel that this will be an easy victory for Kerry.
While that may affect the election, you have to keep one thing in mind. Around 80 to 85 percent of the voting population has already decided who they'll vote for, and will not change their minds. Of those people, it's about evenly split between Democrat and Republican. Only 15 to 20 percent (someone correct me if they have the actual number) of voters are independent, and it's that small segment that Bush and Kerry both target in their campaigns. So, in order for Kerry (or Bush, for that matter) to win by over 15%, he would have to swing nearly every single independent voter. It's just not gonna happen. Thus, I stand by my prediction... the final vote will be within 5 percentage points. The country is just that divided, right now.

Also, you can say what you may about Bush, Iraq, Fahrenheit 9/11, or the economy, but nothing is ever as persuasive to others as it seems to someone who believes in it. I'd venture from your posting that you're part of the 85% or so who've already decided, and are a Democrat, at that. What may seem self-evident to you as a liberal will seem less so to an undecided voter, and flat-out wrong to a conservative. While I, too, agree with you in principle, one must bow to reality. Politics can be very polarizing, and it's easy to see what you believe as the only way to go.
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattK

QUOTE=Ryan Dognaux I found this picture, and found it humorous.. not meant to be a bash or anything, just thought it looked funny

I found some funny pictures too!

my myspace!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: