Go to Post We don't require innovation; we simply encourage it. - Tristan Lall [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Alumni
AKA: Mr. X
FRC #0521
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2000
MisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to behold
Whats in a team color?

This is mainly directed at PINK- (other team colors in following post)
Ever curious why jail cells and opposing team locker rooms share ur team colors? Dr. Alexander Schauss, Ph.D., director of the American Institute for Biosocial Research in Tacoma Washington, reported that when painted pink, it reduced aggressive behavior among prisoners. ďEven if a person tries to be angry or aggressive in the presence of pink, he can't. The heart muscles canít race fast enough. Itís a tranquilizing color that saps your energy. Even the color-blind are tranquilized by pink rooms.Ē After testing he discovered that a certain shade of pink had a calming effect on the nervous system. Inorder to test this theory he needed a large group of agitated people in a controlled enviroment, what better then a bunch of prisonerss just arrested right off the street or in his case the sea? So he approached the officials at the US NAval Correctional Center in Seattle. Expecting resentment, after all it is ppink and not some burly blue or green or gray, Schauss was surpised when they even offered to help paint the cells. After 10-15 minutes in the cell prisoner who were once kickign screaming and scussing had become very sedate. Thsi effect even lasted about 30 minutes after leaving the area.

however for you mentors out there with rowdy kids dont rush out to Home Depot for paint just yet. After 2 hours (far less then typically spent in a robotics lab during build season) subjects satrted to bascially OD on the color becoming very disturbed and/or severly depressed. But as plus during competitions were the venue food is just to expensive by staring at a sheet of pink paper for 1-2 minutes you can actually suppress your appetitie!

Don't you wish your team colors were pink now?!

Last edited by MisterX : 04-02-2004 at 11:04 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats in a team color?

At least for the calming effect, it is a pale shade of pink. Certainly not the bright pink that the pink team uses.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Alumni
FRC #0521

MisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to beholdMisterX is a splendid one to behold

However what is your team isn't pink well fear no more cause I just finished reading my chapter from pych and found some more interesting data:

Blue (237 SieH2OBots 217 Thunderchickens) : calming, lowers blood presure, and decreases resperasion
Green( 126 Gael Force): soothing mentally and physically relaxing. Helps reliev depression stress axiety and nervousness.
Violet (155 Technonuts I believ had purple) : suppresses apetite provides a peacful enviroment, and is good for migraine headaches
Yellow(175 Buzz) : energizes, relieves depression, imporves memory,a nd stimulates appetitie.
Red( 173 RAGE, 19 Big Red) : stimulates brain wave activity, relieves depression, and increases heart rate, respirations, and blood pressure
Black(38 Nonnebots) : a "power" coloer and a source of self-confidence and strength.
Orange(non-other than L33T CREW 521): energizes and stimulates, sppeeds up digestive system

Tie-dye (111 Wildstang, 176 Aces High, 716, Who'c Teks) : sorry I have no data on that but my guess would be a little bit of everythign all swirlled into one

MOE green : a whole level in its self

Last edited by MisterX : 04-02-2004 at 09:31 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Alumni
FRC #0521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross
At least for the calming effect, it is a pale shade of pink. Certainly not the bright pink that the pink team uses.
Sorry I myself have only heard of their legendary and have not been blessed with viewing their team colors, I have merely heard of it and found it interesting. The shade of pink used in the study has been called "Baker-Miller pink" after the two naval brass that helped with the sutdy, "drunk tank pink", "Pepto-Bismol pink", "bubble-gum pink", and if you want to paint your house it is Benjamin Moore #1328
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Follow me on Twitter: @GabeSalas
AKA: CrazyBear
FRC #0233
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Gabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Gabe Salas Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterX
Don't you wish your team colors were pink now?!
I wish we could have used this research study as the premise of why our team is PINK. But very interesting indeed. Thanks for the info!

A whole new meaning to, "Think PINK!", and "Real Men Wear PINK!"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry I myself have only heard of their legendary and have not been blessed with viewing their team colors, I have merely heard of it and found it interesting. The shade of pink used in the study has been called "Baker-Miller pink" after the two naval brass that helped with the sutdy, "drunk tank pink", "Pepto-Bismol pink", "bubble-gum pink", and if you want to paint your house it is Benjamin Moore #1328
here are some pictures:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...gle&picid=6923
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...gle&picid=6905
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Hazmat Crew Member
AKA: Chris Sharkey
#0233 (Pink Team)

shark_byte is an unknown quantity at this point

Behold the power of PINK!

Wow, who woudl've guessed? That's really cool, thank you for posting that info.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Orange(non-other than L33T CREW 521): energizes and stimulates, sppeeds up digestive system
Oh, Lord, that explains a lot.

We became orange in 2001 cuz that was the only paint color in student's garage for robot, and they got tshirts to match. It's stuck. We love orange.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

what about the color hawaiian?

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)

Rookie Year: 2002
Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

Quote:
... cause I just finished reading my chapter from pych and found some more interesting data: ...
OH NO ... PLEASE tell me you are not a psych major ... every one of those I have known has come out of school WAY more screwed up than when they went in ...
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

[quote=shark_byte]Behold the power of PINK!

Well that still doesn't change my opinion of the men's room at the school my team is based at.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...t=24594&page=2

Here's a second link of an actuall photo of the bathroom. Maybe we could trade bathrooms with the Pink Team.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...&quiet=Verbose
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown

Last edited by Jay H 237 : 04-02-2004 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added second link
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Alumni
FRC #0521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Bloom
OH NO ... PLEASE tell me you are not a psych major ... every one of those I have known has come out of school WAY more screwed up than when they went in ...
Have no fear I am not a psych major though that would be something in FIRST think of all thes tudies I could hold) I am just taking a 1/2 credit course of it to complete my history requirment for graduation. Surprisingly I just provide you can actually use the stuff in actual applications (creating thread on CD) rather then charging people hundreds of dollars to talk to you and you say "I see"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: