OCCRA
Go to Post In Soviet Russia, FTC support you! - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
AKA: Mike Deaves
#0865 (Warp 7)
Team Role: Engineer

ufa_mike has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Cool Making your robot drive easier

I have noticed that all teams who consistently win don't have a complicated design but seem to drive well. SO I sugested to the team we just make a robot that drives and drives well, this year. But I'm not quite sure whet else to do to make it drive easier. Other than making a really solid gearbox with no slop. And ramping the controls.

any ideas?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:10 PM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier
Re: Making your robot drive easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufa_mike
I have noticed that all teams who consistently win don't have a complicated design but seem to drive well. SO I sugested to the team we just make a robot that drives and drives well, this year. But I'm not quite sure whet else to do to make it drive easier. Other than making a really solid gearbox with no slop. And ramping the controls.

any ideas?
less c.o.f. wheels so with that spiffy nice gear box in high gear you could turn very easily.. or make omni wheels! Yay! omni wheels

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

Intuitive controls. Even if you have a complex drive system, if you have a simple/intuitive control system your drivers will be able to drive it.
And practice, lots of practice.

Here's an example (idea taken from some bots, controls from an arcade game):
A bot has four wheels. each has its own drive motor. Each can also spin a continuous 360 degrees (Can spin forever without reversing). Complex drive.
On the control side: 2 joysticks. One for the left, one for the right. Each side goes the direction the joystick is pointed. Up means forward, down means backwards, left means left, right means right. U.L. means 45 degrees to the left from forward. The farther from center, the faster it goes. Front/back wheels are linked in code.

This control system is simple, and follows a standard skid-steer setup (with some mods). however, you can translate (go left/right w/o rotating) by pointing the the joysticks that way. So basically, you can make your robot dance, or rotate while moving forward (advanced technique).

Granted, this sort of set-up would take lot's of practice. lots and lots.

Last edited by Astronouth7303 : 04-08-2004 at 03:29 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to disagree with PitBull a little bit...

I think the key to an easy-to-drive drivetrain is having the optimal lateral coefficient of friction (not the lowest). That is much easier said than done, but here is why I feel this way:

1) If you have too much lateral friction, your drivetrain will not turn well (or maybe not turn at all). This is obviously not desirable for many reasons that everyone knows, so I'm not going to explain further.

2) If you have too little lateral friction, the robot can become difficult to drive. Why? Inertia!

When your driver let's go of the stick, the robot will continue to turn. The amount of excess turn is inversely proporional to the amount of lateral friction you have. If you have too little friction, the robot becomes hard to control since the driver will let go of the stick where he/she want the robot to stop turning, and the robot will overshoot past the stopping point. This can be overcome with a lot of practice, but the whole point of this thread is to make a robot that doesn't require as much practice to drive.

Over the years, we have had robots that had very little lateral friction and I will definitely say that they were our most difficult robots to drive. Once we went to 4-wheel drive, the robots would stop turning the instant the driver let go of the stick - these robots were very easy to drive.

So, the moral of the story is: less friction is not always better. There is an optimal amount of friction - good luck achieving it.

Last edited by Chris Hibner : 04-08-2004 at 03:25 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Doctor to be
AKA: Ali Ahmed
FRC #0004 (Team 4 ELEMENT)

Rookie Year: 2002
ali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ali_rockon22

Make a really solid gearbox. I find that you don't need any more then 2 speeds. High and Low. Also you can have wheels with a high C.O.F but to make your bot turn easier you need to 6 wheel drive and lower the middle set of wheels about 5 thou lower then the other ones and there you have a killer drive system.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:11 PM
499 Founder / Alamo FTC & FLL AP
no team
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2001
Andrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Making your robot drive easier

SNIP
Quote:
to make your bot turn easier you need to 6 wheel drive and lower the middle set of wheels about 5 thou lower then the other ones and there you have a killer drive system.
I would really like to hear more about this idea. Anybody make a six wheeled robot with all wheel drive??? I saw team 418 at the Lone Star Regional but didn't get an up close look at their drive. I was more impressed with their ball catcher and laminated wood biggens ball arms

post some pics or PM me or send a link to your site with photos

Thanks,

next year.

APS

aschuetze@sbcglobal.net

Founder / mentor FRC 499
Proud Parent FRC 2745 & 4219
Alamo FTC Affiliate Partner
Alamo FLL Affiliate Partner
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Programming/Drive Mentor
AKA: John Gilbert
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Zorkinian is on a distinguished road

Team 233 has a 6-wheel all drive system. I'm assuming, when you say 6-wheel all drive, you simply mean all wheels are drive wheels.

Anyway, each side is linked to a joystick for tank driving. The middle wheels are lowered just a bit to give us the ability to turn well, and the friction of six wheels sitting on the ground makes us very hard to push sideways. I don't think our team will ever change from this 6-wheel setup (unless we get a radically different game from FIRST).
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:21 PM
FRC #4707 (Mentor FRC#4707 Alumni FRC#710)

abeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schuetze
SNIP

I would really like to hear more about this idea. Anybody make a six wheeled robot with all wheel drive??? I saw team 418 at the Lone Star Regional but didn't get an up close look at their drive. I was more impressed with their ball catcher and laminated wood biggens ball arms

post some pics or PM me or send a link to your site with photos

Thanks,

next year.

APS

aschuetze@sbcglobal.net
Here's a link to the 47 robot who uses a sweet 6 wheel drive with chain drive on each side team 47's bot

and here is the 254/60 "bionic poof" with their 6 wheel drive with the middle ones lowered a little bit

i think, correct me if i am wrong, that 25 was one of the teams that most successfully implemented this last year and many teams have used similar ideas.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Mmmm Hot Sauce
#0134 (Team Discovery)
Team Role: Operator

JakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to JakeGallagher Send a message via AIM to JakeGallagher Send a message via MSN to JakeGallagher Send a message via Yahoo to JakeGallagher

We had a 6-wheeled robot this year...I don't know whether it was six-wheel drive though. It took us a few days to get the middle-axle lowering set the right way, but it helped a LOT. Oh I should tell you that we used some spiffy donated tracks, and it made us look like an R/C tank out there.

Robo pics and videos are here: http://www.sau53.org/net9/First/media.htm
You may also see the team at PARC in May. I wish I could go, but I'm going to Washington D.C. that weekend :-C
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)

Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace

i posted a pic of our 6 wheel drive train. theres some stuff in the way, but you can still see most of it.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...gle&picid=7644

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571

Last edited by Solace : 04-13-2004 at 10:07 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2004, 09:38 PM
no team

Ryan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the rough

Watch your speed. I saw some teams build robots that were incredibly fast, but I can just imagine the nightmare those drivers go through whenever they try to do something rather than getting from point A to B.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2004, 06:16 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

feedback - PID control loop on the steering

using the default code to let the position of the joysticks control how much voltage (pwm) is thrown at the drive motors is as crude a control method as you can get (well, there is one thats worse, only having a GO/STOP switch :^)

no matter what your drivetrain is if you put yaw rate and/or linear speed sensors on the bot, and use feedback, you can remove all the nonlinearitiy, inertia, friction.... from the control system and MAKE the bot do exactly what the driver is commanding at any given instant.

another idea is to add a 'jog' function to your control system - I posted stuff about this before - let me search and see if I can find it...

yep,heres the thread - BTW it contains several other simple ideas on how to make your bot better:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...&highlight=jog

Last edited by KenWittlief : 04-14-2004 at 06:19 AM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Mechanical Engineer
FRC #0134 (Team Discovery)

Rookie Year: 2000
Pat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pat Roche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGallagher
We had a 6-wheeled robot this year...I don't know whether it was six-wheel drive though. It took us a few days to get the middle-axle lowering set the right way, but it helped a LOT. Oh I should tell you that we used some spiffy donated tracks, and it made us look like an R/C tank out there.

Robo pics and videos are here: http://www.sau53.org/net9/First/media.htm
You may also see the team at PARC in May. I wish I could go, but I'm going to Washington D.C. that weekend :-C
Let me elaborate a little. We used the brecoflex tracks this season. They have and awesome amount of friction (cof ?). The problem we had was we could turn because they spread out on the floor 26" and was only 21" wide. To solve the we put a larger we wheel in the center reducing the amount of track on the ground by about 45% in either direction. This gave us just the right amount of track on the ground to turn and allowed us to move alittle faster.

If you have any questions about it PM me or IM me.

-Pat
Team Discovery #134 Alumni 1999-2004
Division by Zero #229 Alumni 2004-2009
Team Discovery again?
2010 and Beyond

Where have the last 11 years have gone?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:38 AM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

if you are really looking for a good team's drive that uses 6 wheels, check out team 42. for the past 4 years they have gone with the same drive, and its really worked out well for them.

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:23 AM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds

Best way to drive well.......... have a great driver! A great driver can overcome and drive system.

Wave Robotics 2014 Season:
Northern Lights: Regional Finalist, Quality, Imagery, and Dean's List Finalist: Melissa D.
Wisconsin Regional: Quarter-finalists, Industrial design award.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: