Go to Post The biggest fallacy in FIRST is the belief we are just a bunch of different teams. We are ONE BIG TEAM with a lot of sub teams for the purpose of competition. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2004, 11:37 AM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
White Paper Discuss: Karthik's Championship Event Data

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in the White Papers.

Karthik\'s Championship Event Data by Karthik
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Achievement through enthusiasm
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: White Paper Discuss: Karthik's Championship Event Data

I'll take this oppurtunity to tell you about this little spreadsheet.

I've taken all the data from the FIRST website from the regional season, and compiled it into one spread sheet. From there, I calculated a few stats and tried to make sense of it all.

For each regional here's what I have.

Team #
Team Name (Hidden Column)
QP Avg. (0..2)
Seed
Seed % = (# of Teams + 1 - Seed)/(# of Teams)
Average Score (Just for qualifying matches)
Relative Average = Team Average / Regional Average
Standard Deviation
Factor: This is a stat that Rourke created, and he will talk about in more detail some time this weekend. The formula is:

(Team Avg. - Team Std. Dev.)/Regional Average

It's pretty neat, as it rewards a team for scoring well, and consistency.

From there, I've created a metric which assigns values to Seeding, Averages, Championships, Finalists and Awards, to create a value to try and determine the "best" team at each event.

On the Master sheet, all the teams are placed together, so you can sort by any column to see the leaders in that category. You can also sort this sheet by championship division.

On the Master metric sheet, I've created a weighted average so each team has one score. It works like this; If a team went to one event, their score is their score from that event. If they went to two events, then I take the sum of two events and divide by 1.5. If they went to three events, I divide the sum by 2. The reason for this is, these stats are being used as a predictor of future success. A team who has gone to more events has a higher chance of success in Atlanta than a team who has gone to fewer. This weighted average, reflects that.

The calculations for these weighted averages are in hidden columns AA-AC on the Master worksheet.

The cool thing about this sheet, is that if you don't like weights that I've assigned for different awards or stats, you can just change them and recalculate everything with your own values.

Thanks to my teammates Steve Rourke, Ian Mackenzie, Geoff Allan and Derek Bessette for all their help putting this together.

If you have any questions, let me know.

See y'all in Atlanta.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
"What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

I uploaded an old version. I have a newer version with more consistent formatting if anyone wants it. It's just a but prettier.

Let me know...
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
"What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen" -- R.W. Emerson
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2004, 12:06 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

This is a very neat database. Good job on it. Very useful. Now, I wanna meet all you guys at the nats .

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Teacher
AKA: Allan Cameron
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
N7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent work. It's great to see a "handicap" on the event. Our team, 842, is ranked 60/72 in the Curie division (or we are in the 16th percentile).
Just the incentive we need

Thanks for a well done piece of work!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

One thing I forgot to mention, when designing the metric, I wanted to factor in performance in the elimination rounds and draft position. Unfortunately, the data was not available for the first two weekends of the regional season. As a result, if I had included the data, the metric would be skewed towards teams who competed in weeks 3-5.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Who's John V-Neun?
AKA: Alex Baxter
None #0254 (Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 10intheCrunch

I'm still kind of confused by the metric. Team 254 has 105+ in Sacramento, but just over 80 in San Jose, even though by the statistics we improved between the regionals (higher mean, lower SD, higher rel ave., higher factor). Is being 2nd seed (in SJ) instead of first (in Sac) or not winning a robot award what causes that?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 06:56 PM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10intheCrunch
I'm still kind of confused by the metric. Team 254 has 105+ in Sacramento, but just over 80 in San Jose, even though by the statistics we improved between the regionals (higher mean, lower SD, higher rel ave., higher factor). Is being 2nd seed (in SJ) instead of first (in Sac) or not winning a robot award what causes that?
It was the lack of a technical award which hurt the Poofs in San Jose. From my experiences, I've found that more often than not, the technical awards are great predictors of success. I've always very happy with the decisions made by the judges. This is why they factor so highly in my metric.

I was shocked when I discovered that the Poofs didn't win an award in San Jose. It almost made me reconsider the equation. (I figured the Poofs would end up at number 1, just because they're the best robot I've seen.) After further thought, I just figured this lack of an award was an annomaly.

Does anyone have any insight as to why the Poofs didn't win an award?

If you're interested, lower the values for the awards on the master metric sheet, and see what happens. I played with various values, and the median I came up with seemed the most reasonable. I'd love to hear some suggestions.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Player vs. Player
AKA: Max Wass
#0449 (Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Human Player

ThirdRide is on a distinguished road

Explain this to me:

My team was the third team in our alliance and we won our regional. How come our partners get a bigger bonus than us. We helped win the regional too and I think we deserve an equal share. We should at least get a bigger bonus that the finalists, or any of the other awards. That's just not fair.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik
Does anyone have any insight as to why the Poofs didn't win an award?
I've noticed that sometimes, judges don't want to give the same awards to teams year after year. Since the Cheesy Poofs have won just about every award imaginable in the past, this may have played a role.

just pure speculation
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Who's John V-Neun?
AKA: Alex Baxter
None #0254 (Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough10intheCrunch is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 10intheCrunch

We did win Chairman's Award in San Jose, and it makes sense that the judges would be uneasy about piling awards on any team. Chairman's is enough award for us any day =).

Could you explain where to change the coefficients in your spreadsheet? I'm awful with Excel, can't find those hidden numbers.

Found it.

Last edited by 10intheCrunch : 04-11-2004 at 11:54 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

As myself and some members of 115 were chatting Saturday night outside at SVR, Steve Wozniak (A judge at the event) rode by on his Segway and stopped to talk to us. I'm not sure how we got on the subject, but he was telling us that the judges tried to spread awards as much as possible, since there would often be multiple teams that were just as deserving of an award.

He said that a lot of the judges had been at Sacramento, and had seen how a few teams won a bunch of awards, and wanted to avoid doing the same thing at SVR.

Not the topic of the thread, but personally I like this philosophy.

Cory
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2004, 11:36 PM
college time!
FRC #0254 (Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt D is a name known to allMatt D is a name known to allMatt D is a name known to allMatt D is a name known to allMatt D is a name known to allMatt D is a name known to all

Alex is right. The judges did not want to give us another award besides chairman's. We had thought during the awards ceremony that we had a shot at Leadership in Control or Industrial Design, but we got Chairman's instead (YAY!!! ). Technical Awards are interesting in that a team cannot win two from the same regional in one year. I think Chairman's got put in this category (maybe I'm wrong...). Are there any chairman's and technical award winners from the same regional? Also, the judges may have been different in San Jose.

Again, thanks for the compliments.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2004, 09:40 AM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdRide
Explain this to me:

My team was the third team in our alliance and we won our regional. How come our partners get a bigger bonus than us. We helped win the regional too and I think we deserve an equal share. We should at least get a bigger bonus that the finalists, or any of the other awards. That's just not fair.
When creating any sort of statistic, the goal is to be able to make mass generalizations, and be correct most of the time. Stats will never be able to tell the whole story. In some regionals the third robot on a championship alliance is absolutely crucial (See team 229 at the Long Island Regional). In many other cases the role of the third robot is diminished. In my experiences, I've found the third robot not to be as strong as the first or second finalist robot. Hence, the statistic was created reflecting this.

No statistic is perfect. I'm sure there will be a few teams at Nationals who do poorly in my rankings who will do well at the event.

The reason I like this statistic, is it rewards robots who put up good numbers (High Averages) and it rewards robots that might not be strong numerically but people still recognize them as good robots (Awards).

Quote:
Technical Awards are interesting in that a team cannot win two from the same regional in one year.
This is not actually true. If you scan through my spreadsheet, you'll see a few ocassions of teams winning two technical awards at one event. Just taking a quick glance, Team 456 won both the Delphi and GM award in Texas. I know there are more occurrences than this.

The spreading out of awards at an event usually depends on the judges at the event.

Last edited by Karthik : 04-12-2004 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typo
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Player vs. Player
AKA: Max Wass
#0449 (Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Human Player

ThirdRide is on a distinguished road

True, the third robot is not always as strong as the first two. BUT, that is already reflected in the qualification matches. Our point total after the qualification matches was lower than our partners. There is no reason why we should be punished again for something unrelated. We are being punished in our winning the regional for our average performance in the qualification matches. One had nothing to do with the other and that should be reflected in the point system.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: