OCCRA
Go to Post "The world is not idiot-proof. Pay Attention." - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2002, 06:28 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0180 (Team SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Warren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond repute
Shipped Wire

Okay, now that the bots are all shipped. Here is the question that everyone is afraid to ask.

Just what size wire did they ship us in the kit? The unmarked red and black wire that was listed in the parts list as 10 AWG seems to be a little small. Is it 10 AWG or 12 AWG?

We have about 2 hours of work to do in the pits if we were sent 12 AWG wire under the pretense that it was 10 AWG.

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box. As long as you stay in the frame perimeter.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
You aren't the only team with this problem. This question was asked on frctech: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FRCtech2002/message/839

Quote:
>We did inventory in the beginning of recieving the parts and did
>not relize the Gauge of the red and black wire at that time was
>#12. At the time of wiring it looks like the wire that was to be
>#10 (Red and Black) was actualy #12.
>With the 12 in the kit are we allowed to use #12 with the drill
>motors etc..???

A) No. You will have to use the MINIMUM wire size specified.
Refer to Table 2.1 in "Robot Electrical systems" of "the robot" part
of the manual. You will have to use 10 AWG, red & black wire on the
Drill motor.

-FIRST KL
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:04 PM
#0314 (Megatron Oracles "Big MO")

CaptainPlaid is an unknown quantity at this point
When we recieved the kit I thought the wire was a little different. I just assumed it was due to a thinner insulation though. When that post came out about the wire size I just went ahead and switched it all out. Better to be safe than sorry. It is very difficult to tell by sight the difference between 10 and 12 gauge but as this is a known issue I'm sure they'll be looking for it. Now for the person who brought this to FIRST's attention 4 days before ship.................... just kidding.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:34 PM
#0168 (Charger Robotics)

usagi1483 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to usagi1483
Cool

Our electrical engineer was almost certain that it was 10 gauge with thinner insulation. So what we did was use the wire from the year before and packed the thinner stuff to take with us for back up.

http://obscure.hn.org/usagi1483/sidroc.jpg
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2002, 08:59 AM
D.J. Fluck

We had this debate too...our black wire that FIRST sent us was definately 10g. The red wire on the other hand...well it was 12. It was really bad that we realized it after we had our drive base wired.....but at least we noticed it over a week before ship date....
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2002, 09:09 PM
boiler up!
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg McCoy
Maybe if they gave you wire that had the AWG number written on the side...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 07:56 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
We had the same discussions and actually came down to measuring the strand diameters and adding up for the number of strands. It is definitely smaller than the #10 we have purchased from Home Depot so we were concerned. The difference we found is that some manufacturers in order to optimize the wire will use different size strands combined into a single wire. By combining several large diameter strands with a few small diameter strands you get a cable that is stiff, larger overall diameter, but a #10. Using smaller diameter strands gives a better packing bundle which results in a smaller overall diameter, more flexible, but less sturdy wire. As a footnote, adding info to the wire insulation such as AWG gauge and manufacturer adds cost so it is easy to see why this wire is unmarked.
Good Luck all,
73 Greg de WB9UVJ
www.wildstang.org
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Skierkiewicz
73 Greg de WB9UVJ
OK, my inquiring mind wants to know... What does 73 mean? (Other than TigerBolt )
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:04 PM
ISee It When I Believe It
None #0329 (The R.A.I.D.)

Rookie Year: 2001
RebAl will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to RebAl Send a message via AIM to RebAl
73 is ham radio lingo for "best regards" furthermore "de" means "this is"

btw WB9UVJ if your going to the nats you may want to check this out

Last edited by RebAl : 03-06-2002 at 02:10 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:46 PM
None #0031

Rookie Year: 2000
asher will become famous soon enough
We already has all of our wiring done, and I did it on two separate days, so half is right and half is wrong, I have no clue which is which. So unless an inspector can tell me which ones to change (which our electrical engineer cant even tell) I'm not going to worry about it.

asher
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:50 PM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team
Team Role: Alumni

ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht
The gauge wire from the kit appeared to be the same as the wire coming out of the Chiaphua motors, so I assume that it would be acceptable (especially since it was labled as #10 on the checklist).

As one of our engineers put it:
Quote:
I didn't notice any big difference when I was wiring, but it would not have occurred to me to question what they supplied. Personally, I would find it a pretty dirty trick if they were to actually DQ teams for using what they supplied.

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem the answer isn't in the back of the book." — Anonymous WPI Student
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by RebAl
furthermore "de" means "this is"
I had that figured out. It looked too much like Spanish or French for it to mean anything else.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:22 PM
boiler up!
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Greg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg McCoy
Yeah, 73 has been used for many, many years on Morse Code as a general "best regards" closing, and is one of the few "shortcuts" to survive onto voice modes also.

Hams seem to forget that the general public doesen't know about that stuff
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
This is certainly off the subject but...in Morse code (CW to hams) it is more efficient to send abbreviated messages that all will understand or has such a distinctive pattern all listeners know where you are in a message. So a typical CW (code)message ending would be...
"OK GREGG FB TNX FER QSO CUL 73 KB9WTE DE WB9UVJ KN" which translated reads "OK Gregg, fine business, thanks for the conversation, see you later and best regards to station KB9WTE this is station WB9UVJ waiting for return call from that staion only."

So 73 --... ...--
KB9WTE -.- -... ----. .-- - .
this is (de) -.. .
WB9UVJ .-- -... ----. ..- ...- .---
K (clear and listening for any callers) -.-
www.wildstang.org
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Skierkiewicz
So a typical CW (code)message ending would be...
"OK GREGG FB TNX FER QSO CUL 73 KB9WTE DE WB9UVJ KN"
Oh my! That's even worse than the way some people type here in CD.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: