OCCRA
Go to Post During the year I can't wait for the game hint to be released, but then as soon as it is released and I read it for the first time my head starts to hurt and I regret reading it at all... - Jon Jack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
New Robot Electrical Parts

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,
There were complaints and comments about the hardware used for electrical this year. I would like to get some suggestions on NEW electrical parts that might be worthwhile suggesting for use next year. If there is a wiring block, connector, fuse panel, terminal or battery insulator, etc., you would like to see provided in the kit or required for use on next year's robot, please list it here with links to the manufacturer and/or supplier. I personally liked the distro block and want to see it back but there may be a better device out there. If you know of something, let us know. We don't have that much time before plans need to be finalized so let us know soon.
www.wildstang.org
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:16 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Re: New Robot Electrical Parts

120 amp battery connectors would be nice, since we're up to a 120 amp breaker now.

Cory
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:23 PM
AKA: Matt Syska
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2003
Sscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Sscamatt

The anderson powerpole connectors for 10 gauge and smaller wire would be really nice. I saw them on a few bots and they don't have male or female ends. All fit together nicely. http://www.andersonpower.com/products/pp/pp.html FIRST already deals with them so maybe it would be possible.
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award, UTC Regional

RIT Class of 2011
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 01:29 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked the power ditribution block and ground stud. The new Maxi fuse block was good too. The included electrical conectors were good quality but there wasn't enough quantity and variety. I would like to see battery connectors switch over to the single PowerPole 75 Amp units like these

I don't like the 6 gauge wire, it needs more (finer) strands so it is more flexible. The 10 gauge wire could be higher quality as well. I don't particulary like the ground area on the regular fuse panel but it has been working fine so there's no reason it shouldn't continue to do so. I really liked the change in the battery's terminals to plain blocks instead of U shaped terminals. As stated before, the Anderson PowerPoles (I think they are the 45 Amp ones) for 10 gauge wire would be beautiful. Plugs, wire, and pins should be provided for making your own PWM style cables to plug into the headers on the RC. The red tether (or was it programming) serial cable should not be female to female. I thought I read a good reson for it once but I can't remember and I don't like that thing anyway (although the red is cool).

I think at least two shaft encoders/ rotation sensors and once gyro/tilt sensor/accelerometer should be provided.

That's about all I can think of right now.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:47 AM
AKA: the angry designer on 461
#0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Student

suneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to suneel112

This is impossible, but an AC Power supply!! Yes, the same rules will apply for tethering. Plug the orange cord into your end zone and robots away!!

Just Kidding

Maybe a much lighter battery. Fuel Cell?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)

Rookie Year: 1999
MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MikeDubreuil

I like the grounding stud. I wish we were given more O-ring connectors for it. If you miss a crimp on the connector you either have to buy some more at the ridiculous price or drill out a smaller connector (not a good idea).

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize this was a discussion on new parts.

Last edited by MikeDubreuil : 04-21-2004 at 09:21 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)

MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the new current sensor. I didn't like how FIRST handled the PCB issue. FIRST should have provided a way to obtain the PCB a little easier. Perhaps, by purshasing a lot of them and selling them through their new online store.

If the current sensor comes back or we get another "sensor project", it would be nice for FIRST to give instructions on how to obtain all non-standard (I.E. custom PCB) parts.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize this was a discussion on new parts.

Last edited by MikeDubreuil : 04-21-2004 at 09:21 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)

I'd like to see a distance sensor included. Infra-red or sonar. Something with the capability of long range distance sensing, approximately 15 ft.

SensComp 6500 Ranging Module, range 6" to 35'. Used along with an appropriate transducer.

Last edited by MikeDubreuil : 04-21-2004 at 09:55 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Custom User Title

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

also, there is a thread about the type of wire that the thunder chickens used. This wire seems like it would be a nice upgrade from the standard wire that comes in the kit.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27995

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 11:31 AM
misses his IFI control system
FRC #0973 (GRR)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike Hendricks is a name known to allMike Hendricks is a name known to allMike Hendricks is a name known to allMike Hendricks is a name known to allMike Hendricks is a name known to allMike Hendricks is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
The red tether (or was it programming) serial cable should not be female to female. I thought I read a good reson for it once but I can't remember and I don't like that thing anyway (although the red is cool).
It was the tether that was red, and it was done that way so you couldnt accidently plug it into the program port, and damage the RC and/or O/I. It was a little short when we were using it, but we just plugged a 25ft serial cable on one end and taped the connectors together.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:59 PM
i.am.INSPIRED!
AKA: Mr. Lim
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz
Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,
There were complaints and comments about the hardware used for electrical this year. I would like to get some suggestions on NEW electrical parts that might be worthwhile suggesting for use next year. If there is a wiring block, connector, fuse panel, terminal or battery insulator, etc., you would like to see provided in the kit or required for use on next year's robot, please list it here with links to the manufacturer and/or supplier. I personally liked the distro block and want to see it back but there may be a better device out there. If you know of something, let us know. We don't have that much time before plans need to be finalized so let us know soon.
2004 was the first year I had the opportunity to wire up a robot. I was very pleased at how complete the kit was.

The only thing I really wished came in the kit was a few lengths of heatshrink tubing (red and black, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" diameter) and some split flex tubing to keep everything nice and neat.

What would be SUPER nice is a big bag of 3-pin PWM cable connector pins (male and female) and housings! Those cables from IFI got mighty expensive when they were all added up. We wanted to make our own PWM cables to length, but couldn't really source decent connectors that would stay together properly.

A few encoders included in the kit would be WICKED. 4-5 optical 128 pulse per revolution ones would work great. A few multi-turn pots wouldn't hurt either for those who prefer to work with those.

I'm sure there are a few other things on my wish list, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

Last edited by Mr. Lim : 04-24-2004 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typos... again
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Custom User Title

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Also another thing that we had trouble with was lack of the (not sure exact name) crimp on circular connectors that connected 6 gauge wire to the ground stud. One kid on our team thought it would be fun to wire all the components onto a piece of lexan, not realizing that mounting things onto out WOOD base would be much simpler. But since he had already crimped on these connectors, we were stuck with some of his not so hot wiring layouts.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 02:02 PM
AKA: Aaron Bradshaw
#0900 (Team Infinity)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
aaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to aaronbr28040

I definately think that we need more of the connectors and also more 10 gauge wire in the kit. We had plenty 6 gauge etc but did not have nearly enough 10 gauge in black or red. I also wouldnt mind seeing a gyro included in the kit as we had the IFI gyros in the past. Its much easier to get assistance if everyone is using the same one. Also we didnt have enough 20 amp auto-reset fuses to hook everything up.
-Aaron
AIM:aaronbr28040

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Melodious Footware
AKA: *Crash!* Shuuuuuuuuuuuu
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Shu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Shu Song

I'd like to see an accelerometer be included with the kit. We ordered ours, but it never worked. That made our programmer's life hell trying to get a working autonomous.

I must agree with aaronbr28040's post. They need to give a lot more connectors. We ran out of them about 3 times during build season. Mostly because we weren't too careful with all of them. But it never hurts to put a few more packs of connectors with the kit so we don't have to run out every couple of days to get a kind of connectors.

WINNER of the 2005 Finger Lakes Regional, thanks to teams 191 and 494.
WINNER of the 2004 Canadian Regional, thanks to teams 33 and 1112
WINNER of Delphi: Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award at the 2007 Finger Lakes Regional.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: