OCCRA
Go to Post They already tried that... But here is the thing: it wasn't a bunch of guys in white coats. It was 3 guys: 1 in denim, 1 with a pony-tail, and 1 with a bright colored shirt.... - FIRSTtm134 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 03:16 PM
AKA: the angry designer on 461
#0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Student

suneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to suneel112
Lightbulb Robots really are nuclear powered

With the new hype about fuel cell, etc ways to power our robots in the future, it should be known that even the "ghetto" batteries currently on robots are high-tech.

Robots are nuclear powered

When a battery runs out, what do you do? Recharge it
And what do you recharge it with? Electricity (120V, 60 Hz to be exact)
And where does that electricity come from? Electric Power Plants

Since most of the regionals are in or near big cities (reasonably sized cities), and most of the big cities are powered by nuclear energy, and that power goes into your robot (at least when you recharge your batteries), the energy comes from nuclear fission.

Therefore, the mechanical work of hanging, moving, and grabbing and manipulating balls comes from nuclear energy. Isn't that cool. No fossil fuels were ever burned and no carbon dioxide was ever released to provide energy for your robot.

Disclaimer: If all your batteries were charged at home, the above claim cannot be guaranteed. In addition, some areas of big cities are still powered by fossil fuels (or other clean energy such as hydroelectric power, solar,etc...). Additionally, fossil fuels are used in the production of steel (Aluminum, however, is mostly an electrical process).
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri
Re: Robots really are nuclear powered

When I looked at the title of this thread, I thought it was another idiot posting random stuff. But, that actually makes sense. Good Job.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank Send a message via Skype™ to Pat Fairbank

Wow... that means that my team's robot runs on water!!!

(Here in Quebec we get all our electricity from hydroelectric dams)
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen

Well only about 20 percent would be nuclear powered. Considering you spread the robots out evenly.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 05:05 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Ryan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the rough

Yeah..I have a coal powered robot!!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 05:32 PM
FRC #0492
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Crash852 is on a distinguished road

we have a robot powered by water too, since most of our power here in the NW comes from hydroelectricity.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:12 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'd have to say that many robots are solar-powered. But that's just because the Sun provides light that feeds photosynthetic organisms, which die, fossilize, and are converted into oil, gas and coal (with the help of a little heat and pressure).

One might also argue that these same robots are nuclear-powered, since heat from radioactive decay contributes to the internal heat of the Earth (which "cooks" the fossilizing matter).
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 07:42 PM
no team

Ryan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the rough

[quote=Tristan Lall]Well, I'd have to say that many robots are solar-powered. But that's just because the Sun provides light that feeds photosynthetic organisms, which die, fossilize, and are converted into oil, gas and coal (with the help of a little heat and pressure).

[quote]

But then the sun is nuclear powered.....so there you go, all our robots are nuclear powered.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)

Rookie Year: 2001
Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace

i don't know about the rest of you, but here in connecticut we recharge all of our batteries with freshman running in oversized gerbil wheels

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 12:19 AM
GO IRISH
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Alex Pelan Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Pelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
i don't know about the rest of you, but here in connecticut we recharge all of our batteries with freshman running in oversized gerbil wheels
Yes, this is one of my specialties
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Insert Custom User Title
#0321 (Robolancers)

ZACH P. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ZACH P.

Quote:
We do that too, but its a radioactive freshman. So we run on nuclear energy too.

IM me at: zmstr265
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Mmmm Hot Sauce
#0134 (Team Discovery)
Team Role: Operator

JakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to JakeGallagher Send a message via AIM to JakeGallagher Send a message via MSN to JakeGallagher Send a message via Yahoo to JakeGallagher

Quote:
Yes, same here. We created special mechanisms for the freshmen though. They dangle a candy bar in front of the wheel, and that gets them to keep running even when they're tired. Everyone knows freshmen like candy bars.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 12:17 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

I use to have an electric lawm mower, and told everyone its nuclear

every source of power we currently use on earth can be traced back to the energy of the sun one way or another

Scientist are doing a lot of reseach to develope the first fusion reactor

but its really the second, we already have one, its huge, and conviently located a safe distance from earth :^)

(so I guess our bots are really fusion powered!)

but then again, since our food source is all traced back to plants, arent WE also fusion powered?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 12:23 PM
occra 23.
AKA: ryo
None #1481

Rookie Year: 2006
greencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to greencactus3 Send a message via MSN to greencactus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Fairbank
Wow... that means that my team's robot runs on water!!!

(Here in Quebec we get all our electricity from hydroelectric dams)
nonononononono. your robot runs on gravity which lets the water flow.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2004, 12:25 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencactus3
nonononononono. your robot runs on gravity which lets the water flow.
gravity is not an energy source - its the heat from the sun that puts the water back up on top of the dam in the form of rain.

BTW a used car salesman tried to sell me a car once that 'ran on gravity'. I was looking the car over and when I popped the hood, there was no engine. the saleman said "it runs on gravity"

I said "but then it can only go downhill?"

the saleman said "I took a good look at you when you walked in, and I could tell right away this was the car from you, cause thats all it took to tell that you are only going downhill"

:^)

Last edited by KenWittlief : 04-25-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: