Go to Post How about instead of using the flag we just all wrap out robots in color saran wrap. there! problem sovled! - John Gutmann [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Always be shipping.
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Just letting CD know...

To start, I am not posting on behalf of any team that I have ever been on...I am posting on behalf of myself and another alum, as individuals.

I'd like to point the community's attention here, towards an article about Nick Reynolds.

Most of the older CD members will remember Nick in his postings on here, if you dig through the archives you can find a lot of his old posts which are very insightful.

In any case, not only was he one of the brains behind 237's hopper/hang strategy in 2000, he has brought many insights to the team for the years that he participated. He also brought a challenging and addictive aspect to FIRST for me; always being on top of the major issues, and always asking "Did you see that on Delphi?" Also, he always had his house open to not only to his son's friends, whether it be just to hang out or to have huge parties, but to the entire team if they wanted to have a meeting when the school was closed.

Personally, he has been a great friend and mentor, and I wish him a full recovery. I just wanted to let the community know what was going on, since you did know him for a while. Thanks.

Last edited by Jessica Boucher : 04-24-2004 at 10:23 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Always be shipping.
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just letting CD know...

The article, for anyone who the link doesn't work for...from the Town Times, 4/1/04.

Tickets are still available for a special evening to benefit former Zoning Board of Appeals chairman Nick Reynolds from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday, April 30, at the Grand Oak Villa.

The dinner will be a buffet. Tickets are $25 each and there will be door prizes and raffles.

Mr. Reynolds, who is fighting cancer, recently had to resign his chairmanship on the board, though still is a member, according to family friend Debbie Roger.

Donations have been pouring in to the fund set up by the family; donations also have been strong for the benefit dinner as well.

"Many door prizes have been donated," Ms. Roger said. "Powerstation DJ has donated their time."

Besides volunteering on the ZBA, where he was chairman for 10 years, Mr. Reynolds has always been involved in community activities, including the high school robotics team.

When not volunteering, Mr. Reynolds was owner of Wedding World on Hamilton Avenue. But, because of his health issues, he has had to close up shop. His wife, Dyanne, who is an RN at the Lutheran Home in Southbury, also has taken leave to help care for her husband.

The family recently cleaned out Wedding World, and has many items available for sale.

"There are about 200 wedding dresses," Ms. Roger said. "They're brand-new. They're not this season, but they're new."

She said there are a number of bridal accessories available, too, including albums, toasting glasses and even store fixtures like display cases, a cash register and more.

All items are available for purchase for best offer. Those wishing to purchase items may call Ms. Roger at 203-206-2983.

Mr. Reynolds is originally from England, and has no family nearby, Ms. Roger said. Mrs. Reynolds, who grew up in the area, also has no family nearby; so the family is relying on the support of friends.

Ms. Roger said her goal is to sell out the Grand Oak Villa, which can hold 500 people.

The couple has two sons, Richard, a student at Central Connecticut State University, and Kyle, a freshman at Watertown High School.

Besides community activities, Mr. Reynolds was involved in the Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club, a motorcycle enthusiast's club. Club members have banded together to help.

Mr. Reynolds had worked with the club after the terrorist attacks of September, 2001, and raised money for efforts in New York City. They rode to Ground Zero and spent time helping rescue efforts there.

Now, the club is working to help Mr. Reynolds, and has raised $16,000.

A group, "Friends of Nick Reynolds," meets at 7 p.m. every Monday night at the Zoning Office in Depot Square Mall to plan the April 30 benefit.

The group also has set up a trust. Donations may be made to "Friends of Nick Reynolds," c/o Thomaston Savings Bank, Main Street, Watertown.

Those wishing to buy tickets may email Ms. Roger at dessybess@aol.com or call her at 203-206-2983.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:34 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly

I wish him a speedy recovery.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

On behalf of my team members, I would like to wish Mr. Reynolds a speedy recovery.

Raising money for 9/11 victims, being involved in FIRST, former chairman of a town board... he truly seems like an amazing person, and We wish him well.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher
To start, I am not posting on behalf of any team that I have ever been on...I am posting on behalf of myself and another alum, as individuals.

I'd like to point the community's attention here, towards an article about Nick Reynolds.

Most of the older CD members will remember Nick in his postings on here, if you dig through the archives you can find a lot of his old posts which are very insightful.

In any case, not only was he one of the brains behind 237's hopper/hang strategy in 2000, he has brought many insights to the team for the years that he participated. He also brought a challenging and addictive aspect to FIRST for me; always being on top of the major issues, and always asking "Did you see that on Delphi?" Also, he always had his house open to not only to his son's friends, whether it be just to hang out or to have huge parties, but to the entire team if they wanted to have a meeting when the school was closed.

Personally, he has been a great friend and mentor, and I wish him a full recovery. I just wanted to let the community know what was going on, since you did know him for a while. Thanks.
You're absolutely right Jess. I also want to point out that he was one of the people who helped start Team 237. He has donated a lot of his time, energy, and use of his video equipment to the team. If it wasn't for him in the early years of our team none of our competition matches, fundraisers, and any other events we put on or attended would have been captured on video. I still have several VHS tapes he gave me of our team. He also made several demo videos for us. Also he helped me out when the team put on an all day demo with the robot at an open house my company held. He also purchased a trailer out of his own money so our team could have a mobile shop on wheels.
Last time I saw him was about a year ago at the local car show the Siemon Company sponsored. He reconized my Mustang on display and started looking around for me. He told me he was helping a Brittish team although I don't remember who they were.
I also hope he has a full recovery soon. He has given so much to our team there's no way we could ever repay him. Nick, get well soon and I know where there's a black '63 Galaxie convertible waiting for you to restore it.

[EDIT] BTW Jess, I just realized I have a digital picture Nick took still on my computer of you in your prom dress and the others while you all were standing in his driveway in front of my Mustang.[EDIT]
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown

Last edited by Jay H 237 : 04-26-2004 at 06:45 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2004, 06:52 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

from Team S.P.A.M. we wish him well-- one of our mentors and great friend is still slowly recovering too-- and all those out there in the FIRST community mentor who are sick-- get well and you all are soo important to the teams and a speedy recovery is wished for you all!!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM
FRC #0237

Rookie Year: 2003
JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute

A sad update... Nick passed away today. He will be missed. He really loved FIRST.

jb
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoucher
A sad update... Nick passed away today. He will be missed. He really loved FIRST.

jb

Nick is one the first people who really caught my attention when I started posting on these boards way back in 1999. He had a passion that translated even through the internet and it's been something I've greatly missed in his absence from this website.

I'm sure it's something many will miss in his absence from the world.

His family, friends and teammates are in my thoughts.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Quote:

jb
My condolences to his family. He touched many lives and team 237 wouldn't be the team it is today without his involvement. We will never forget him.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)

Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung

It doesn't quite hit home until the people around you go away unexpectedly...

As a child, I always thought I was invincible to all the bad things in the world. I thought I would never be in any danger at any time. I always pretend death is just something they use in stories to scare little kids to be careful.

Then an accident happened when I went out with college friends, and a friend passed away on that trip. Then I realize, like many others, I am vulnerable to the many dangers in the world just like the rest of people. I learned to cherish the people around me and my experience with them while they are around me. Otherwise I know I will regret it when they disappear before I have a chance to do so.

You may or may not get along with everyone in your journey of life, but try to focus on the positive part of the experience with them. Life is too short to spend time to hate, envy, and resent people around you.

Nick, Iíve always been inspired by the passion you have every time you post in the CD forum. No one can post quite like you, and I thank you for that experience. I will always remember you.

1999-2001: Team 192 Gunn Robotics Team
2001-2002: Team 100, 192, 258, 419
2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
2003-2004, 2006-2007: California Robot Games Manager
2008: MC in training @ Sac, CalGames
2009: Master of Ceremony @ Sac, CalGames
2010: GA in training @ SVR, Sac.
2010-2011: Mechanical Mentor, Team 115 MVRT
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Christina's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Christina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Christina

Quote:

jb

Wow. I remember when not seeing a post from Nick was a rarity. I will miss his enthusiasm and motivation. I always enjoyed reading what he had to say. I think it would be anunderstatement to say that he was a source of inspiration in this community. His family, friends, and everyone who knew him will be in my prayers.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: