OCCRA
Go to Post Think about the other teams...today your opponent, today your teammate. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST-related Organizations > FIRSTwiki
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky
The FIRSTwiki

What is a wiki? Well to quote from an excellent example of one, WikiPedia, it is a "collection of interlinked web pages, any of which can be visited and edited by anyone at any time (collaborative software). The concept and software was invented by Ward Cunningham."

How will this benefit FIRST? If it catches on with members of the community, we could, in a matter of a month or two, have a resource with information on everything involed in FIRST:
  1. pages for each team
  2. pages for key people (and for anyone who cares to make one, like me)
  3. pages for all the important elements of the robot (FRC, motors, and other kit of parts stuff)
  4. FIRST history stuff
  5. etc. etc. etc.....
I know there is already a thread on this topic here, but i am starting this topic to discuss and inform people about this specific wiki that I have set up for FIRST use, the FIRSTwiki (thanks SilverStar ). I am sure that this could turn out to be an excellent thing, but it needs people to use it to become anything. Even if you aren't interested, just take a look at WikiPedia or try editing in the FIRSTwiki sandbox. If you'd like to start a page, just type in http://www.afiber.com/FIRSTwiki/index.php?title=xxxx and replace xxxx with the title of your proposed page. Feel free to register here so that all your changes are credited to you. If you have any questions, post them here or, even better, the FIRSTwiki User Questions page. Thanks.

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award

Last edited by Max Lobovsky : 05-26-2004 at 05:20 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist
Re: The FIRSTwiki

I remember back in the day when I wanted something cool to happen, I'd have to write code and administer it. Thank god I'm out of that rat race. Now I can just say something, and BAM! it implements itself.

Thanks Max!

I know my team will be contributing quite a bit in the future.

PS: We have some talented graphics people, and we noticed you're using the default logo...

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Fold em oval!

Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future

Well i haven't really done that much.... yet. Just dled the code and setup a DB. There will be a lot more in the future.

As for the logo, thanks. I didn't want to just throw something stupid together, and I have to get it approved if it has the FIRST logo in it or something like that... I was planning on asking people to help after the place got going a bit, but it looks like i have it even easier than you, i don't even have to ask

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award

Last edited by Max Lobovsky : 05-26-2004 at 05:48 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:39 PM
948 Alum
AKA: Advay Mengle
FRC #0948 (Newport Robotics Group)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2001
SilverStar is just really niceSilverStar is just really niceSilverStar is just really niceSilverStar is just really nice

Current status: Some progress has been made. There are 4 registered users.

We need teams to put entries about themselves.

http://www.afiber.com/FIRSTwiki
2005 Pacific NW Finalists with 1359 and 1569
2004 Pacific NW Semifinalists, Seed 4
2004 Pacific NW Quarterfinalists
2003 Pacific NW Team Spirit Award, Quarterfinalists, Seed 5
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)

Rookie Year: 2003
Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May

Alright, I just registered and added my team's page.

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Fold em oval!

Current Status: 20 content pages, numerous neccesary support pages, 10 registered users (including 4 not from 1257 )

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:21 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Lightbulb Re: The FIRSTwiki

754 Pages (44 info)
3058 views, 688 edits
0.91 edits/page
4.44 views/page

14 users, 2 admins, 5 teams

AND WE NEED A LOGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.afiber.com/FIRSTwiki/
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Fold em oval!

After logging 250+ edits in the last two days, i have the sudden urge to hit the edit button on every web page i go to...

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

Hey! Added a stub for my team. Also, I figured I'd give it a shorter url:

http://wiki.1418.org

I'd be willing to register a domain name, but I need to settle some debts before I do. Can you host this? I have a linux box up in my room, and 100mb on a nice host, but maybe we should solicit a sponsor to host it...

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Programming and Electrical Mentor
AKA: Allen Gregory
FRC #2587 (Afrobots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
CyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really nice

I added my team page. This is a really cool idea I hope it takes off with all the teams.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:58 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Lightbulb Re: The FIRSTwiki

I big step (I think) towards making this happen is to MAKE A LOGO! I'd do it, But I don't know what to do!

I also encourage people to add stubs on various topics to get a framework down. A lot of the stuff I've done is just a link to the appropriate web site.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

I don't see any problems adding it to our server, at something like:

http://wiki.chiefdelphi.com/

Just thought I'd put the offer out there..
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Fold em oval!

Well it looks like its really getting going, its not just SilverStar and I typing away for hours on end anymore. 58 pages, 17 users, 926 edits.

As for the offers for hosting, thanks a lot. Once again, im happy to see how quick the FIRST community is to try to help out. I would be very interested, but I have to make several requests (yes, im greedy).
  1. Linux
  2. I need to be able to install various modules and binaries to implement features like math rendering and more (in the future).
  3. ftp acccess to wherever its being hosted from
  4. This doesn't really affect whoever hosts it, but i think it will need a domain of its own. Helps keep the wiki image of being free and open.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

We can offer all that. No shell access, but ftp and the ability to ask me to install whatever software & module(s) you need.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Fold em oval!

Great! Thanks a lot Brandon. I don't see any reason to wait, so as soon as you are ready or if you have some questions, email me at maxlobovsky a+ comcast d0+ net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: